Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)/What state do I file a Medical Malpractice lawsuit in, if I live in a different state than the doctors/hospital I am filing against?

Question
In which state am I supposed to file a law suit (for medical malpractice), if the doctors/hospital involved were located in Georgia, and I lived in North Carolina at the time? (So, in essence, I need to know if I should pursue an attorney in North Carolina or in Georgia, or if it doesn't matter.) What if I end up moving to South Carolina soon, would that affect where I have to file it? An attorney told me that if the plaintiff and defendant are located in two different states, it is taken to federal court and therefore doesn't matter what state. But where are federal courts located, in case I want to find an attorney near a federal court (so he won't reject my case because its too far for him to travel to the federal court)?  I may also pursue product liability, which is located in I believe New Hampshire....would that go to a federal court, and if so does that mean I can hire an attorney from any state also?

Answer
Adam,

The state in which the malpractice occurred is the state where the lawsuit needs to be filed.  You need to find a Georgia attorney to handle your claim.  It does not matter where you live during the lawsuit.

Regarding the product liability case, you are going to have to file in federal court unless there is a local defendant per diversity of citizenship.  If the New Hampshire defendant does business in your state, you can file in your state.

If both cases are related, you can most likely file in Georgia state court since you have a local defendant.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.

Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.