Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)/Writing a release letter

Question
Someone owes me money and he said he will pay it in full shortly but he wants me to write a letter releasing him from any future claims by me. What should be included in the letter so that he will be satisfied with it.

Answer
Anthony,

The language in any release is governed by State law.  I do not know the state in which you or the person who owes you money resides.  Depending on the jurisdiction, you may need to include specific provisions.  I would suggest that you ask the person who owes you money to have a lawyer draw up a letter for you to sign once the debt is paid in full.

Personal Injury Law (Accidents/Slip & Fall)

Carol L. Schlitt