Personal Investment & Financial Planning Q`s/401K/pension conversion for educational uses

Question
Paul: I recently left state government service for graduate school. I had made tax-free contributions to both the state pension fund and a 401K. After leaving, I've moved my pension monies into the 401K. While one option is to roll the funds into my ROTH IRA, what I'd ideally like to do is use some of these monies to offset the costs of graduate school (via the 401K or some other financial vehicle(s)). Since the use is for educational purposes, I'm hoping to withdraw funds for educational use on a tax-free basis--is that at all possible given my situation? Thanks very much.

Answer
Hi Enrique,

Since your had made tax-free contributions to both the state pension fund and a 401(k), any withdrawals are subject to tax.  

On the positive side, the withdrawal will likely be treated as a penalty-free distributions. Only expenses incurred at certain educational institutions who participate in the student aid programs administered by the U.S. Department of Education are eligible. Additionally only eligible educational expenses such as tuition, fees, books and supplies are eligible for this treatment.

Wish you the best.

Personal Investment & Financial Planning Q`s

Paul Sid, CPA CFA