Personal Investment & Financial Planning Q`s/401k

Can a 401k lose principal money or just lose interest?

Am I always guaranteed to get back at least what I put in it?

Hi. The performance of your 401k is dependent on how you invest it. In most instances, you can lose the value of what you put into the 401k is the investments themselves lose money. However, you may have an investment option within the 401k such as a guaranteed account that will protect the principal balance. Or, in some instances, 401k plans are invested within an annuity which has a principal guarantee feature. I hope this helps.

Personal Investment & Financial Planning Q`s

John D Smith, CFP

I can answer detailed questions regarding mutual fund investing, retirement planning, education planning and related comprehensive wealth management and investment concerns.

I have been providing fee only investment management and comprehensive wealth management services for the past 19 years.

I have a degree in Financial Planning & Counseling and I am also a Certified Financial Planner practitioner.