Personal Investment & Financial Planning Q`s/where I can get free investment advice (unbiased)

Are there any sites where I can put in my  investments ( Bonds, stock, ETFs, mutual funds and get good and unbiased information or advice about my investments without a fee? What are they?

Hello Brian,

If you have not checked them out already, I recommend starting with Yahoo Finance and Morningstar. They both have free services that allow you to enter the name or symbol of a stock / ETF / Mutual Fund and they will provide basic information.  In Yahoo Finance, if you click on “View More Data”, they will also show broad buy / sell recommendations based on multiple sources.  Morningstar is really the lode stone of information for many investors, and their $200 annual fee for accessing their “Premium Content” is a very good deal for do-it-your-self investors.  They offer comprehensive write ups on many securities, rank them in their peer group, etc.  With the Premium service you can also input your entire portfolio into something called “X-ray” and it will generate a report that can give you a feel for your portfolio as an entirety, rather than just information on individual securities. It will even send you email reports on the changes in your portfolio value automatically.

Other sites you may want to check out are Investopedia (for basic financial definitions and explanations), the Motley Fool, Zacks, The Street, Seeking Alpha, and Investor Guide.  These offer essentially news and opinions about stocks, the markets generally, interest rates, etc.

You can even just use Google. I just typed in "Chevron Valuation" and it turned up many current articles with opinions about the value of Chevron stock.
Finally, one of the best ways to get “free information” is to open an account at a reputable on-line broker/dealer like Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard, TD Ameritrade, Scott Trade, etc. You didn’t indicate what type of broker/dealer holds your securities, but account fees are close to zero for even modest amounts, and they offer very broad and comprehensive research tools that come free with the account.

One thing none of these sites can do is tell you what the right investment strategy is for you, because every investor is unique, and your investments are only one part of your overall financial picture.   That is why a low cost fee only financial adviser unaffiliated with any broker/dealer can help you develop an investment strategy that takes into consideration your unique circumstances and attitude toward risk.

Hope this is helpful.   Good luck!  

Personal Investment & Financial Planning Q`s

John Guilford Kerr, CFP, CFA

I can answer questions related to personal financial planning, asset allocation, private equity investment analysis, fixed income, mutual fund, ETF, and stock questions, estate planning (basic), education planning, insurance planning, and business financial planning.

I have thirty-eight years of experience in finance, in the U.S. and internationally, for both public and private corporations. I have specialized in personal and small business financial planning and investment advisory services since 2005.------ - ten years commercial banking, New York, Paris, Houston, Charlotte, Atlanta---- - six years treasurer of a publicly traded health care company, Philadelphia----- - six years international project finance (Bechtel), San Francisco, Manila, London----- - five years head of international hotel development (Hyatt), Chicago---- - eleven years personal financial planning.----- Registered Investment Adviser, Hawaii---- FINRA General Securities Representative - Series 7---- FINRA Uniform Combined State Law - Series 66---- Resident Producer Insurance License, Hawaii-, Accident and Health or Sickness, Life, Variable Life and Variable Annuities

CFA Institute of Hawaii---- Certified Fiancial Planner Board of Standards, Inc-----. National Association of Personal Financial Advisers----- Financial Planning Association----- National Association of Tax Professionals

Project Finance Yearbook - 1997 / 1998 "Manila Water & Sewerage System Concession"----- "The Road To Helsinki, An Analysis of European International Relations Leading to the Conference On Security and Cooperation in Europe"' published 2015.

Certified Financial Planner, Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc.---- Chartered Financial Analyst, CFA Institute----- Certificate in Financial Planning, Boston University---- Masters in Foreign Affairs - University of Virginia---- Bachelors of Arts, Government - Ohio University