Peru/Travel to Kuelap?

Question
Hi Kathy - I read in your bio that you've been to Kuelap.  My family and I, 4 adults, will be in Peru this summer for 11 days.  Originally we thought we would spend at least half of our time in Cusco/ Machu Picchu, taking an alternative trekking route to MP.  Reading more about Peru, I am wondering if we should spend less time seeing MP and go to Kuelap.  Flights from Lima to Chiclayo seem reasonably priced, I am wondering about the bus trip to Kuelap, 12 hours is a long time! Can you tell me a little about the bus trip, and about Kuelap? What are your thoughts on renting a car in Chiclayo and driving to Kuelap?
 There are so many places I'd love to see in Peru, I'm already thinking about another trip!

Thank you in advance.
 Deb

Answer
Hi!  So sorry I have been so long in replying but FL is having beautiful weather so I am outside doing yard work most days now.

Yes, 12 hours is a long time on the bus but it is doable....As a suggestion, get 2 seats each so you have more room to stretch
out, since prices are inexpensive for seats on the bus.  I would say the bus trip is not that great but now the only way to
get to Kuelap that I know of.  Guess I thought it was worth it is because it is still undiscovered by most of the travelers since
everyone goes to Machu Picchu.  I would not rent a car to go to Kuelap from Chiclayo=========maybe look into a driver
of a VAN but the cost might be high.

Yes, 11 days will definitely not be enough time to see all the Peru has to offer....so you will want to go back.  I keep finding
new places to visit so keep going back.

Write me directly, if you would like more info...........KathyinMCO@aol.com

Peru

Kathy