Peru/Mission trip to Peru in October 2013

Question
Hi Kathy,
My dental office will be arriving in Peru around 15 Oct and depart on 26/27 Oct. The first week we are on island we are planning to do dental mission work outside of Lima.  We were wondering if possibly we could plan a sight seeing trip to Machu Picchu during the second week we are on island.  Just need a little help planning the trip.  Do we need to get train tickets to Machu Picchu? how far is Lima from Machu Picchu?  Do you have a recommended tour guide that we can use for our trip?  Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Tracie Huffman

Answer
Hi Tracie,  Besides going to a country I love you are helping people out.  Thank you for that.  Do have a question "Island", where do you mean by that?

How many days are you allowing for a trip to Machu Picchu.  I could connect you with a travel agent in Lima that would be able to help you.  I have worked with him for years.  I think I would have someone get you the train tickets for Machu Picchu (with guide) before you go or as soon as you get to Lima. There seems to be more and more people traveling to Peru and Machu Picchu and if you only have a few days, booking ahead would be smart.

If you are going that far to Peru, definitely go to Cusco and Machu Picchu.  Plane tickets are not inexpensive and if you book
ahead, you might get a better rate.

OK, let me know if you want help.............e-mail me directly, KathyinMCO@aol.com  

Peru

Kathy