Peru/Road conditions and saftey

Question
Hi Kathy,
Can you tell me how the road conditions are from Cusco to Puno? Are the roads paved, are roads one lane in each way, or is it a shared lane? I get car sick. I may go by bus. or would you recommend train? Also can you tell me an area where roads might not be safe.
Thank you
Tina

Answer
Hi Tina,  The road has been improved and is in good shape.  I was on it a few years ago and it was all paved.  They even have tourist buses now doing the route.  They are two way lanes and just sit in the front of the bus.  Train is neat too but takes a lot longer, so I would do the bus.  If you can do the tourist bus (I do not think it is that expensive), I would do that since they stop at different
places.  I had taken a group so we had our own bus.

As to roads are unsafe.........the drive from Ayacucho to Cusco is a bit wild.....I would not do that again.

Enjoy your trip and I know you will love Peru.  Let me know if you have any other questions, I may help you with.

Peru

Kathy