Pest Control/Squirrels Eating Grass

sylund wrote at 2009-10-01 07:20:52
Last month I grass seeded a bear spot next to my sidewalk, about a 4'x7' area. As the new grass came in, the squirrel has been eating the new grass, and JUST the new grass. The funny thing is, the little bugger just eats from just a 6 inch wide strip parallel to the sidewalk. I presume it's to stay as close to the edge of the roof as possible for overhead cover from birds of prey. I'll take a high res photo and upload it tomorrow.

viki wrote at 2011-06-24 23:26:03
I too have squirrels doing the same thing. I am sitting here watching the squirrel do it. It's not in an area near any bird feeders. Nothing but grass. I was looking to find an answer as to why. Could it be for the moisture at the riot? It's about 100 degree right now.  

Dianne wrote at 2016-05-12 18:52:02
I am watching the same thing. The squirrel is pulling up the grass and nibbling the tops away then getting more.

I thought my grass has a problem with fungus or iron deficiency but it might be those squirrels. It's looking a bit pale.  

Pest Control

Stephen Vantassel

I was a professional animal damage controller. If you are having problems with squirrels, raccoons, beavers, moles, voles, etc. damaging your property, I can help give you information to resolve that damage. I was an assistant editor for Wildlife Control Technology magazine and have published numerous articles as well as two books in this field.

Former assistant editor for Wildlife Control Technology; Master's degree in Hebrew Bible (yes I am licensed minister), Past New England Director for the National Wildlife Control Operator's Association. I have published two books, The Wildlife Removal Handbook (rev. ed) and the Wildlife Damage Inspection Handbook, and numerous articles. Perhaps a highlight was making the cover of Wildlife Control Technology. I have debated a noted animal rights activist in my own state of Massachusetts on radio and TV.