Pest Control/Unknown bug

Question
Insect
Insect  
QUESTION: Hello,

We live in nothern Indiana. This fall/winter we have occassionally been finding this bug (picture attached) in our house. We were wondering what it is. It can fly. It is about twice the length of the small lady bug which we would see instead during this time.  Would be happy to provide any other information you need.

Thanks,
Vishal

ANSWER: Vishal,

Can you get a picture that shows the back more clearly? Perhaps use a flashlight to add light. Also, take a look at this page http://www.livingwithbugs.com/boxelder.html, does your bug have red markings like this?

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: Hi Jack,

Thanks much for your quick response. I haven't seen another one since your response. I will be on the lookout, but it does seem like the insect is the beetle you refer to. It does have this red inverted V at the tail end of the casing. I just can't recall if it is as full of red markings though as the one in the picture...

Vishal

Answer
If it looks like the insect in the photo at http://www.livingwithbugs.com/boxelder.html then it was likely a boxelder bugs which commonly enter homes in the fall. See that page also for control tips. The bugs are harmless and can be swept up when found.

Jack DeAngelis  

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis