Pest Control/Wasps in winter in the home

Good Day,

Everything I've read tells me that the wasps all die in the winter, with only the queen wintering over until spring. That does't seem to be the case.
In the second bedroom of my two story home wasps have been crawling out of somewhere and then laying down to die on the floor. I used to get one a day. I used a powder insecticide to fill gaps in and also caulked around the windows (inside of house). I hadn't seem them for a while, but now in the middle of January 6 more have crawled out of hiding and dropped dead on the floor.
That is my 2 year old son's room. I have moved him into my room for the time being until I can effectively kill the colony and seal the room.
Why are there so many wasps? They can't all be queens, can they?
I live in Canada, and for the past several weeks the outdoor temperature has been in the -30 Centigrade. Very cold.
I'm a single working mom, so I can't really afford to call in professionals, but I will if I have to because it's for the safety of my son.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Hello Daphne,

There are many sub-species of wasps and hornets, some of which do winter over and continue on the following spring. Collect a sample and have someone look at it. A dead one is fine, then put it in some rubbing alcohol to keep it from drying out. Most professionals will identify a sample at no cost or you can utilize a local university, college or the like. You would want to find someone who is a entomologist if you need to go the latter route.

Don't use anymore powder...especially if you have concerns for your son. It is good you sealed up the areas where you put the powder. But keep in mind powders of any kind....natural or man-made can be inhaled or transmigrated to another place. If there are additional cracks they are coming in through...simply seal them up, don't use any insecticide. If they have a nest in the wall or attic space...they will have a entrance/exit hole somewhere outside. Do not seal that up as they need a way out when the weather warms up. This area would be where a professional would need to access and use the activity of the insects to deal with this situation.

For the safety of your son....I would suggest having a professional handle this, possibly in the spring when outside activity is present (if it happens at all). Having someone do this for you if it is a viable nest still in the spring is far safer than you handling materials yourself.

Any further questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Rene' Kesecker
Good Earth Pest Company
Corvallis Oregon

Pest Control

Rene Kesecker

I can thoughtfully and truthfully answer any questions that deal with insects or rodents that are entering or around structure, especially those found in the Northwest. Our company specializes in low impact pest management.

I have been involved in the pest management industry since 1981. My husband and I own The Good Earth Pest Company, which provides service to homes and businesses throughout the mid Willamette Valley. We are a second generation pest management firm. I served as the first woman president of the Oregon Pest Control Association and currently serve on the Professional Women in Pest Management council for the National Pest Management Association. Good Earth was the first company based in Oregon to be certified Quality Pro by the National Pest Management Association, meaning we have met of exceeded the high standards set by our industry leaders.

I am currently the Chairperson for both the Legislative and Scholarship committees for the Oregon Pest Control Association and a Member of National Pest Management Association where I serve on the Board of Directors and Professional Women in Pest Management Committee. We are Certified Quality Pro by the National Pest Management Association. Our company is a member in good standing of both Oregonians for Food and Shelter and Associated Pest Management.

I have assisted in the annual reviews and co-authored the Structural and Occasional Invader chapters of the Northwest Pest Management Guide, published by Oregon State University. I have assisted in the production of the Oregon Pest Control Association, Intergrated Pest Management Technician Training Manual, this publication is still in progress. My articles on pest management have been published in local newspapers such as Gazzette Times, Albany Democrat Herald and Itemizer Observer.

My formal training in the pest management field has come from years of experience and continuing education provided throughout the years by our state association, national association and leaders in our industry. Although I now manage our office I once worked in the field performing repairs, termite treatments and general pest control. I am still a certified applicator in the state of Oregon and activly partitipate in continuing education.

Certified Quality Pro by the National Pest Management Association. Our entire staff is held to the highest of standards having met or excedded benchmarks in areas such as enviromental stewardship, background checks on all empolyees, Safety and having drug free employees to name a few.

We currently manage many large condo complexes and provede pest management for a large firm that manages homes for the disabled. This requires highly trained technicians and office staff that can handle any situation human or pest related.