Pest Control/Roaches

We have lived in our house for about 2 years now, it was totally gutted and bombed before we moved in (the previous people were apparently gross)and up until now there has been no issues. But lately its been raining a lot and I will find a roach in our bathroom about once a week.

They vary in size and are either the brown wingless or the german ones. I despise them, its not even that they gross me out, its more of a I am terrified of them and will not sleep at night for the next few days.

We keep our home as clean as possible so I am not sure why they are in here but after doing some reading I was told to remove all water from their reach. Well my husband has fish tanks all over so that was a impossible task for me.

I have bought the baited traps, have bought the bayer home spray and the raid spray (only used it outside) and I only used them outside because I have a toddler who will drop a goldfish on the floor and eat it.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can get rid of them without costing me a fortune and with it still being safe for my son? We have been quoted by several companies for our home and nothing is cheaper than 200$ and since they spray all over I just don't feel safe about it.

Also I almost always find them right around our toilet, I am not sure what draws them there or how they get in but they seem to like that area.

The best way to control cockroaches is also the safest and it is less expensive than hiring someone. Use the new gel/paste baits. They are very effective and can be applied yourself so you don't have to hire an exterminator. See for an explanation of this method. Post a follow up if you have questions.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology