Pest Control/mice

we saw droppings on the kitchen counters and my wife saw a mouse dive under the dishwasher. we called an exterminator who put (what he called explosive bait) in key places.
the droppings cleared up and we thought we were done and then late last night my wife saw [the same?] mouse do the dishwasher dash. she freaked out.
the guy came on wednesay night. today is monday. how much time should we be giving the bait he used before we try something else?
Our kitchen garbage is in an open tall plastic bin. should we be covering it? do the sound based gadgets work?

Dear Harry,

I've seen tons of research on those electronic devices - not a bit of evidence that they work! Don't waste your money.

I'd give the bait a couple of weeks to work before I tried anything else. Rodent colonies are often larger than we initially estimate. If you're seeing droppings after 2 weeks, get the guy back out there.

Yes Harry, if you can't take the kitchen garbage out every night, then a lid on the trash can is important. Keep an eye out for crumbs and food debris also, it doesn't take much to lure mice into your home. This is the time of year when many mice and rats enter our homes to get out of the weather.

This coming Spring, I suggest you do a thorough inspection of the exterior of your home, and seal up any openings larger that a dime. (Mice and rats can squeeze through extremely small holes.)

Hope this helps,

Pest Control

George E Serdes

My knowledge is in the areas of structural insect or rodent pest problems. I do not know enough about lawn and garden pests to be of any help there...

I've retired from the pest control industry in Central Florida. I spent 15 years in all areas of the industry (sales, night technician, integrated pest management specialist, service manager, and branch manager for both National and local companies.

Formerly sat on the Florida Pest Management Association's Board of Directors (Region IV)

Retired Florida State Certified Pest Control Operator -