Pest Control/What is it and how to get rid of it?

Insect Shot 1
Insect Shot 1  

View 2
View 2  
I have noticed these insects coming from my lawn and crawling up the side of the house or going into the pool. Can you please identify the insect and any advice on how to get rid of them?

Thank You.

Hey Shawn!

Thank you for the ID question! This is without any doubt a millipede. Millipedes are harmless an fed on decaying vegetation. They can become a nuisance species in high populations by moving into areas they are unwanted.

The recommended treatment indoors is to remove them, seal all entrances, and spray pesticides. Millipede are accidental indoor intruders and will not survive. If there is a high populations in the home focus pesticide control in that area to guidelines. The best way to pretty entry is to seal all possible entry points that the millipedes are entering in from, and sweep or vacuum up any dead millipedes.

Outdoors: Reducing the possibility of millipede populations from building up in your yard will reduce the population of millipedes from entering your home.

Habitat modification is the key to reducing millipede populations. Since millipedes live in and eat organic matter, trying to remove as much excess organic matter as possible like piles of weeds, leaves, etc.

Always pick fruit or vegetables as soon as they are ripe

A residual insecticide can be applied around the perimeter of your home and on the foundation walls and on window and door sills (outdoors).  

My thanks
The bug guy

Pest Control

Christopher A. Rice

I can identify and provide clear information on all insects. I can also provide Medical, Veterinarian Entomology insight. Also experience in arthropod management (biological and chemical) and history. Control tips on any of the following: Ants, Aphids, Bagworms, Bats, Bees, Beetles, Birds, Black widow spiders, Brown recluse spiders, Carpenter Bees, Carpet Beetles, Centipedes, Chipmunks, Cicada Killers, Cloth Moths, Cluster Flies, Cutworms, Deer, Drain Flies, Earwigs, Fleas, Flies, Fruit Flies, Gnats, Grasshoppers, Ground Hogs, Grubs, Japanese Beetles, Lice, Mice, Midges, Millipedes, Moles, Mosquitoes, Noseeums, Opossums, Pantry Beetles, Pantry Moths, Pantry Pests, Pill Bugs, Rabbits, Raccoons, Rats, Roaches, Scorpions, Silverfish, Skunks, Snails, Slugs, Sod webworms, Spiders, Sprintails, Squrriels, Termites, Thrips, Ticks, Voles, Weeds, Weevils, White Flies, White grubs.

I have about 10 years of experience in insect identification, pest control, and product recommendation.

Organizations (pest control) ID specialist at

All about articles @ for the following: Bed bugs, Ants, Cockroaches, Termites (pending), Rats, and Mice

Bachelors Degree in Biology, Minor in Chemistry Valdotsta State University Pest Management and history Insect identification Medical & Veterinarian Entomolgy