Pest Control/wasp

I have been fighting wasp in my basement for a couple of weeks now, and I have no idea where they are coming from.  We have a storage room in the basement, and we think they are getting there somehow.  We have swatted a couple of dozen and hope they are about to leave. Just looking ideas??

You might be dealing with one of the species that builds nests in association with heated structures, such the German yellowjacket, Vespula germanica. Unfortunately these nests do not die off in winter the way other species nests do. See for information about yellowjackets and yellowjacket control, including baits. Your best option may be to collect a few dead ones and take them to your local Extension office where they can be identified ( If they are germanica you may need to hire an exterminator to find the nest. Post a follow up if you have questions.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology