Pest Control/small brown bugs on paper towels

What can be done to stop the arrival of more small (about the size of a flax seed, but a bit rounder and lighter brown than that) hard bodied brown bugs that must be coming from the cracks in the walls? They are attracted to paper towels, and crawl into the curls of it on the roll; they are also found on pages of cookbooks. Don't know what they eat. Don't eat paper, not in any food items. Just keep coming from somewhere. Noticeably less after I caulked cracks along the cupboard walls/shelves, but have now returned. Please Help!!!

Thank you,

I'd need to see a picture to be certain but these might be one of several species of dermestid beetles that infest stored food. See for pictures of one of the species. Also, see that page for control options. These beetles sometimes infest seeds that are stored in walls by rodents. If you can get a photo I'd be glad to take a look.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology