Pest Control/small black bugs

Hi Rene, there are small black bugs in my house. I've seen them since 3-4days ago, and I saw about 5 of them in each day... I mostly see them in bathroom, and I saw one on my desk once. They look brown in the picture, but they are more like black and very small. I also saw some silverfish in my bathroom... now I also have them... I hope they are not roaches. Do you have any idea what they are? How can I get rid of them? Please help!

Did you intend to send this to one of the other experts? These are grain weevils. The larvae infest grains like corn and rice. They can be common where ever these grains are stored and occasionally I've seen infestations when the grains are used in "bean bags". Cleaning and disposal of infested materials is usually enough along with proper grain storage. See for discussion of control of other so called pantry pests.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology