Pest Control/small black bugs

Hi, there are small black bugs in my house. I've seen them since 3-4days ago, and I saw about 5 of them in each day... I mostly see them in bathroom, and I saw one on my desk once. They look brown in the picture, but they are more like black and very small. I also saw some silverfish in my bathroom... now I also have them... I hope they are not roaches. Do you have any idea what they are? Please help!

Hello Stacy,
No worries about these insects in the picture being roaches. They are clearly some kind of beetle or weevil. Most likely they are some kind of insect that is coming in because of spring weather changes. Because you are seeing them in the bathroom they may be looking for water. There are some beetles or weevils that will infest natural products such as animal hides, dried flowers, baskets or grain products. I would suggest you take a sample to a local extension service or pest control entomologist that can look at them under a microscope and pin it down to the exact species you are dealing with. Put your samples in some rubbing alcohol, this will keep them from drying out before you get them identified. Once it is identified you will know what it's feeding and living habits. Having that information will tell you if you need to take control measures such as seeking out their food source, sealing up the house, changing environments outside the house or dealing with excessive moisture conditions to name a few possible things that may be attracting them into the house.

Once you have them looked at under a microscope by an entomologist and know exactly what species you are dealing with....please feel free to follow up with me and we can narrow down what you can do to help resolve this problem.

Rene' Kesecker
Good Earth Pest Company
Corvallis Oregon

Pest Control

Rene Kesecker

I can thoughtfully and truthfully answer any questions that deal with insects or rodents that are entering or around structure, especially those found in the Northwest. Our company specializes in low impact pest management.

I have been involved in the pest management industry since 1981. My husband and I own The Good Earth Pest Company, which provides service to homes and businesses throughout the mid Willamette Valley. We are a second generation pest management firm. I served as the first woman president of the Oregon Pest Control Association and currently serve on the Professional Women in Pest Management council for the National Pest Management Association. Good Earth was the first company based in Oregon to be certified Quality Pro by the National Pest Management Association, meaning we have met of exceeded the high standards set by our industry leaders.

I am currently the Chairperson for both the Legislative and Scholarship committees for the Oregon Pest Control Association and a Member of National Pest Management Association where I serve on the Board of Directors and Professional Women in Pest Management Committee. We are Certified Quality Pro by the National Pest Management Association. Our company is a member in good standing of both Oregonians for Food and Shelter and Associated Pest Management.

I have assisted in the annual reviews and co-authored the Structural and Occasional Invader chapters of the Northwest Pest Management Guide, published by Oregon State University. I have assisted in the production of the Oregon Pest Control Association, Intergrated Pest Management Technician Training Manual, this publication is still in progress. My articles on pest management have been published in local newspapers such as Gazzette Times, Albany Democrat Herald and Itemizer Observer.

My formal training in the pest management field has come from years of experience and continuing education provided throughout the years by our state association, national association and leaders in our industry. Although I now manage our office I once worked in the field performing repairs, termite treatments and general pest control. I am still a certified applicator in the state of Oregon and activly partitipate in continuing education.

Certified Quality Pro by the National Pest Management Association. Our entire staff is held to the highest of standards having met or excedded benchmarks in areas such as enviromental stewardship, background checks on all empolyees, Safety and having drug free employees to name a few.

We currently manage many large condo complexes and provede pest management for a large firm that manages homes for the disabled. This requires highly trained technicians and office staff that can handle any situation human or pest related.