Pest Control/small bugs

Hi, there are small black bugs in my house. I've seen them since 3-4days ago, and I saw about 5 of them in each day... I mostly see them in bathroom, and I saw one on my desk once. They look brown in the picture, but they are more like black and very small. I also saw some silverfish in my bathroom... now I also have them... I hope they are not roaches. Do you have any idea what they are? Please help!

Hi Stacy, Great picture looks like a grainery/rice weevil.They can be found in nearly any prepackaged food you buy that contains any sort of grain. I'm talking' cookies, crackers, biscuits, cake mixes, pastas, breakfast cereals, anything. This is due to the fact that weevils lay their eggs in, you guessed it, grains.

The two most common types of pantry weevils are the granary weevil #Sitophilus granarius# and the rice weevil #Sitophilus oryzae#. They are often referred to as snout weevils. These little pantry pests are actually beetles; very small beetles that rarely get any larger than of an inch. Female weevils use their little snouts to drill holes in the casings of grains, such as wheat, oats, rye, rice, corn, barley, and various seeds and beans. Once the hole is drilled, she deposits an egg and seals the hole back up with a gelatinous glue-like substance that she creates all by her little self. The egg hatches after a few days, and the larvae uses its surroundings as a lunch box for about the next month. For this reason, it can be difficult to detect an infestation. Not only is it slow to start but the larvae are in hiding. Once grain weevils #a.k.a. flour weevils# or rice weevils present themselves, you've got a problem. A single female can lay up to 400 eggs, which means up to 400 more hungry bugs looking' for a snack. If you've experienced something like this, you'll need to know how to control and get rid of weevils.

Remove contaminated food products. Sounds like a no-brainer, but this might be the single most important step in getting rid of weevils. Look through your ENTIRE pantry and every single cupboard for any food products that might be contaminated. If you find something that you aren't sure of, pitch it. There's no point in risking reinfestation. It could very well cost you more money in the long run. Once you have it all gathered up, take it outside to the trash immediately and move the can as far away from your house as possible.

Conduct the most thorough cleaning of your pantry and cupboards that you have ever done. Start by taking absolutely everything off the shelves and vacuuming them. Make sure to get all the cracks where flour or other food bits might be hiding. If you have contact paper lining the shelves, remove it you can put new stuff on later. Use a rag and some hot sudsy water to do the rest of the cleaning.  

Pest Control

Steve Oswalt

My Pest Control and Nuisance Wildlife Removal experience is in Residential, Commercial, Public Housing, Multiple Story Hi Rises, Agricultural facilities. My company is located in Lewisburg, Ohio and our Web sites are

20 years in Pest Control and Nuisance Wildlife Removal business were we provide exclusion services for pest control and nuisance wildlife along with latrine and gauno cleanup.

National Wildlife Control Operators Association's, Bed Bug Professional Group, Pest Management Professional Network, Wildlife Professionals Network, Rodent Management Network

Licensed and Certified in Ohio with the Department of Agriculture and Ohio Division of Wildlife as a Nuisance Wildlife Operator.

Commercial Kitchens, Pre-Schools, librarys, Banks, Post offices, Urgent care, Fire houses, Kennels, Veterinarian offices, grocerys, nursing homes.