Pest Control/drywood termite lifestyle

Question
We have a single family home with vented attic in S. Fla.
Please tell us the average lifespan of one drywood termite
active infestation, if not treated.   How many swarms, on
average, fly off from one colony, and does a swarm fly
as far away from its "mother" as it can before settling,
or  close to its "mother?"
Thank you very much!

Answer
Tom,

Very sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I'm out of town and just got access to the internet today.

There really isn't an "average lifespan" of an infestation. The colony will continue to slowly grow over time as long as there is an ample amount of wood to infest. The number of swarms from a colony is dependent on the size and age of the colony. But in general, you'll have 2 or 3 swarms most years from the same colony.

Drywood swarmers aren't very good flyers. So, unless they get caught up in wind currents, they'll normally infest areas very close to the original colony.

Again, sorry for the delay in responding - circumstances beyond my control. Hope this helps a bit,

George

Pest Control

George E Serdes