Pest Control/remedy for pigeon mite human infestation (D. Gallinae or simular)

Hello Mr. DeAngelis
     When humans contract a bird mite infestation that causes hard, crusty, imflammd., lesions what remedyis used to solve the problemn. Any imformation such as theores or methods of treatment would be appreciated.

Thank you

There are several mites that infest animal nests (rodents and birds) that will bite people, see for info and pictures. These mites are called "bird mites" or "rodent mites" or "nest mites". The best way to avoid contact with the mites is to eliminate the nests. Some people that raise birds (poultry, pigeons) can have ongoing problems with these mites. The bites should be treated by your MD or with OTC medications for itch. See the page cited above for more information.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology