Pest Control/Tiny brown bugs

Brown bugs
Brown bugs  
QUESTION: Everytime I go outside and sit for a bit I come in and there are these brown bugs crawling on my skin and clothing. They don't bite or haven't yet. I live in Kentucky and can not figure out what they are.

ANSWER: Ashley,

I can't see any detail in the image but from your description they might be clover mites. See for a close up picture. These mites are harmless but see the page cited above for more info. If you can get a clearer image I'd be glad to take another look.

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: Ok I think they are bird mites! I found a nest on my front door behind my wreath and they were everywhere! What do I do now?

If the nest is not occupied you can remove it and this should take care of the problem, see for a picture of these mites and control info. Also, collect a few of the mites (use a damp cotton swab) into alcohol for id. Contact your local Extension office ( and they should be able to get the sample identified.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology