You are here:

Pest Control/Bed bug??



Close up
Close up  
"I saw this speck moving on the top of my bed. It is brownish, flat and tiny (1mm). Could this be a bed bug? I've looked all over my bed, bed frame and mattress. I can't seem to fine any bed bugs...I'm very worried.. So is this possibly a bed bug?"


These are not bed bugs. These are called psocids or booklice (not related to true lice and do not bite). They are common and harmless but sometimes indicate excessive moisture since they feed on mold. They were once common in old, musty libraries where they can damage books hence the common name.

Jack DeAngelis  

Pest Control

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack DeAngelis


I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.


I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology

©2017 All rights reserved.