Pest Control/Paper Wasp Nest

I have a small paper wasp nest with visible cells about the diameter of a quarter hanging near my garage door.  There are always 3 or 4 wasps on the nest at any time.  When I open the garage door, the wasps become agitated and fly around the entrance site, so I'm considering removing this nest.  I really don't like to spray chemicals so I'm wondering if it is possible to wait for a cool night, wear dark clothing and knocking down the nest with either a broom or the stream from a garden hose.  Is this a good idea for removal, or is this an invitation for angy wasps attacking me?
Thank you for any information.

A small paper wasp nest can be safely knocked down as you describe. You can do it during the day or night. Paper wasps are not very aggressive, at least compared to yellowjacket wasps (see

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology