Pest Control/Small roach like bug

small roach like bug
small roach like bug  
Hi Christopher,
I would like to have your opinion regarding the following.

Last summer and again this year I started finding this little bugs that look like tiny roaches (please see attached image). I would appreciate if someone can shed some light as to what this are, where do they normally live and how to eradicate them.

They appear at night, commonly in the bathroom, living room and kitchen area (very rarely in the bedrooms). They seem to disappear in the cold months (here in Florida that is only November to March)

They don't seem to fly, and the one on the picture shows its size (I don't recall seeing one bigger than that one but may have seen some smaller ones)

Is very common while watching a movie in the living room (and embarrassing when other people is present) to start seeing a couple of this bugs walking on the walls, floors or even the ceiling.

Although I can find many of them each night they don't seem to move in "couples" or groups, I just find one here on the floor, another one over there in the wall (what I mean is that they don't seem to bunch together, is like they are exploring all over the place)   

If at night I spray "Raid Ant and Roach Killer" in the drain and around the perimeter of the bathroom tub, in the morning I would find 5 to 10 of this little dead bugs.

I live in Central Florida, in a remodeled cinder block house built in 1954, it has a crawl space (dirt), and an attic with very old and compacted insulation. About 2 years ago when I moved in, there were rodents in the attic (squirrels and rats) but they were taken care of (removed and entry holes fixed).

My theory is that this bugs live in the attic and they come down at night trough the ac vents (there may be some ducts damaged by the rodents before they were removed)

Comparing the actual picture I attached to other pictures I found online I ruled out bed bugs, wood roaches and brown banded roaches. But this is just my observation.

I would really appreciate if someone can tell me what this are and how to get rid of them.

Brown-banded Roach
Brown-banded Roach  

Well you have asked the right person! The funny thing about Cockroaches or Roaches is that they go through many nymph phases. They can have as many as 13! Most roaches share a similar characteristics as they mature.

This just shouts brown banded cockroach to me, but the great thing is that yes this is treatable. Most roaches avoid light and would make since why they are found wandering the premises at night. You are also located in a moist and warm environment. They also love tight holes and crevices. This is called "thigmotropic" this is to favor tight spaces and secure hiding spots. Another thing is roaches can live for along time without food and will eat anything.

I would recommend you get a cockroach kit or a mixture of baits, traps, and sprays. I just know from experience that covering the source and the surrounding area will completely take care of any problem you have.

I would avoid expensive pest control services because this is a easy to fix problem. If you need more direction towards locating a kit or product just let me know.

These treatments act fast and last. I would say in two weeks or less you will see less and less roaches as time passes.

Thank you for your question!

Pest Control

Christopher A. Rice

I can identify and provide clear information on all insects. I can also provide Medical, Veterinarian Entomology insight. Also experience in arthropod management (biological and chemical) and history. Control tips on any of the following: Ants, Aphids, Bagworms, Bats, Bees, Beetles, Birds, Black widow spiders, Brown recluse spiders, Carpenter Bees, Carpet Beetles, Centipedes, Chipmunks, Cicada Killers, Cloth Moths, Cluster Flies, Cutworms, Deer, Drain Flies, Earwigs, Fleas, Flies, Fruit Flies, Gnats, Grasshoppers, Ground Hogs, Grubs, Japanese Beetles, Lice, Mice, Midges, Millipedes, Moles, Mosquitoes, Noseeums, Opossums, Pantry Beetles, Pantry Moths, Pantry Pests, Pill Bugs, Rabbits, Raccoons, Rats, Roaches, Scorpions, Silverfish, Skunks, Snails, Slugs, Sod webworms, Spiders, Sprintails, Squrriels, Termites, Thrips, Ticks, Voles, Weeds, Weevils, White Flies, White grubs.

I have about 10 years of experience in insect identification, pest control, and product recommendation.

Organizations (pest control) ID specialist at

All about articles @ for the following: Bed bugs, Ants, Cockroaches, Termites (pending), Rats, and Mice

Bachelors Degree in Biology, Minor in Chemistry Valdotsta State University Pest Management and history Insect identification Medical & Veterinarian Entomolgy