Pest Control/fleas in bathtub

Hi, my apartment has been infested with fleas since I moved in a little over 2 months ago (June 3).  I live in a one bedroom apartment on the first floor in an apartment complex in Austin, TX and I have NO pets!  I had a professional exterminator do a flea treatment July 3 and I vacuumed the carpeted areas (bedroom and closet) every day for 2 weeks, emptying the vacuum bag each time outside.  After that I vacuumed the carpeted areas every few days for the next two weeks.  Didn't see any fleas for about 2 weeks (I saw fleas for about a week and a half after the treatment).  But then I had to go out of town for a week and when I returned, the fleas were back.  Oddly enough, they seem to be mostly (or possibly even all) in the bathroom, especially in the tub, but also on the floor.  At first I thought I only noticed them in the tub because the tub is white and they have a hard time escaping, but I've been walking around the apartment to see where they jump on me and it's definitely mostly or all in the bathroom, which is not carpeted. (It's hardwood floor.) I've seen a lot of questions about this on the internet and it seems the most frequent reaction is that these aren't fleas, so I want to say that I'm 100% sure they are fleas.  Not only has that been confirmed by 2 exterminators, but I've looked at a lot of pictures and caught a lot of them in soapy water and they are definitely fleas.  Flat oblong body with long hind legs and a hard exoskeleton, hard to catch and crush and they jump really fast.  Plus bites all over my feet and ankles.  Is there any chance they are coming in through the drain?  At first I thought they came back because I wasn't around to vacuum, but then I thought maybe it was because I wasn't using the bathtub.  Also, they were already in the apartment when I moved in.  The only other sources I can think of in the bathroom are the fan for the shower and the vent for the a/c.  I've seen a lot of questions about this, so I think this may be more common than people realize.  I haven't seen any answers, though.  Any thoughts?

Hey E!

Flea's are masters of surviving treatments! Though you have treated the home once, it doesn't mean they all were killed sadly. The eggs are protected from the insecticides.

I have a helpful video for you to watch!
You can do it yourself an save the day! Also at a cheap price opposed to the Professionals price.

Video: How to do it yourself:
Flea video Look about 5 or 6 videos down, title: How to get rid of fleas in the house

Flea control products

How to Get Rid of Fleas in Your House and Yard

There’s no doubt that if you’re unlucky enough to have your pet bring these uninvited guests into your home that you will want to get rid of fleas as quickly as possible. Here are a few of the products and steps you will need to be aware of in order to rid your home and yard of this troublesome pest.
•    Cleaning Is An Important First Step

This is an often overlooked portion of the process of getting rid of fleas, however it will make the rest of your efforts much more effective in the long term. The best method of cleaning is vacuuming the carpet in the rooms where the infestation is ongoing, this is due to the fact that these bugs can easily make themselves at home in the fibers of carpets, and often lay their eggs in amongst the same fibers. Therefore you will want to thoroughly vacuum all of the carpets in the home before applying any flea killer. This will eliminate many of the adult fleas and provide better results when the flea killer products are used.
•    Flea Spray Is Great For Flea Control

The mainstay of flea elimination is flea spray. Most of the products aimed at the elimination of fleas are based on a type of pesticides known as pyrethroids, which are perfectly safe to use around the home, although pets and children should be kept out of the treated area until the products dry as a precaution.
•    How To Kill Fleas Using Other Methods

Although spray is the number one tool in the fight against flea infestations, there are other methods that can help you kill the insects. For instance you might want to consider natural flea control using products such as diatomaceous earth, which are completely non-toxic and will blend in well to the carpet fibers where the insects hide. Another option is to add to your flea removal tools by purchasing what is known as a flea IGR. These products are designed to interfere with the reproductive cycle of the insects, leading to the current generation of adults the last one that survives. Any of these products can be combined with the previously mentioned methods.

I hope this helps! Please come back if your need more help!

My thanks
The Bug Guy

Pest Control

Christopher A. Rice

I can identify and provide clear information on all insects. I can also provide Medical, Veterinarian Entomology insight. Also experience in arthropod management (biological and chemical) and history. Control tips on any of the following: Ants, Aphids, Bagworms, Bats, Bees, Beetles, Birds, Black widow spiders, Brown recluse spiders, Carpenter Bees, Carpet Beetles, Centipedes, Chipmunks, Cicada Killers, Cloth Moths, Cluster Flies, Cutworms, Deer, Drain Flies, Earwigs, Fleas, Flies, Fruit Flies, Gnats, Grasshoppers, Ground Hogs, Grubs, Japanese Beetles, Lice, Mice, Midges, Millipedes, Moles, Mosquitoes, Noseeums, Opossums, Pantry Beetles, Pantry Moths, Pantry Pests, Pill Bugs, Rabbits, Raccoons, Rats, Roaches, Scorpions, Silverfish, Skunks, Snails, Slugs, Sod webworms, Spiders, Sprintails, Squrriels, Termites, Thrips, Ticks, Voles, Weeds, Weevils, White Flies, White grubs.

I have about 10 years of experience in insect identification, pest control, and product recommendation.

Organizations (pest control) ID specialist at

All about articles @ for the following: Bed bugs, Ants, Cockroaches, Termites (pending), Rats, and Mice

Bachelors Degree in Biology, Minor in Chemistry Valdotsta State University Pest Management and history Insect identification Medical & Veterinarian Entomolgy