Pest Control/Lawn pest?

QUESTION: My Zoyzia lawn has quite a few very small mounds of dirt that seem to appear after heavy rain or irrigation.  The diameter of the mounds range from about the size of a dime to about the size of a half dollar.  The lawn appears uniformly green and healthy.  Worms?  Something else?  Should I be concerned?

ANSWER: Hello Lee!

First are the mounds granular? or like dried mud?
If the mounds are like mud what I am visualizing from my experience it would be worms, and this is super rich food for your soil. The worms are a great thing! Worms in the area mean its a healthy soil.
Unless they are tiny granular ant mounds which also can appear. Which can be satellite mounds from a larger colony perhaps?

I would lean towards the worm theory! If your lawn looks great and is not showing damage or signs of discoloration then you're fine!

Feel free to send me a picture if this continues to bug you!

I would just monitor the mounds, like you already are.

My thanks!

The Bug Guy

QUESTION: Chris, thanks much for the quick reply.  I've attached a couple of images of the situation.  One (with the quarter) is taken in an area of the lawn that gets lots of sunlight?  The mounds are less prevalent there.  The second image is from an area of the lawn that gets very little sunlight and is saturated from the recent heavy rains we'd been receiving here in south eastern North Carolina.  

As you can see if you look closely the mounds are particularly granular but they do seem to be comprised of very small spherical balls of dirt.

Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Hey Lee!

These photos confirm my worm theory!

The mud mounds or dirt mounds are called worm castings. This is another word for worm feces. The feces of a worm is rich and cleaned dirt. This is a good thing!

I would just keep an eye out for other lawn pests like grubs, which are the larvae stage of beetles.

The yard appears great from here! Keep it up!

My thanks

The Bug Guy

Pest Control

Christopher A. Rice

I can identify and provide clear information on all insects. I can also provide Medical, Veterinarian Entomology insight. Also experience in arthropod management (biological and chemical) and history. Control tips on any of the following: Ants, Aphids, Bagworms, Bats, Bees, Beetles, Birds, Black widow spiders, Brown recluse spiders, Carpenter Bees, Carpet Beetles, Centipedes, Chipmunks, Cicada Killers, Cloth Moths, Cluster Flies, Cutworms, Deer, Drain Flies, Earwigs, Fleas, Flies, Fruit Flies, Gnats, Grasshoppers, Ground Hogs, Grubs, Japanese Beetles, Lice, Mice, Midges, Millipedes, Moles, Mosquitoes, Noseeums, Opossums, Pantry Beetles, Pantry Moths, Pantry Pests, Pill Bugs, Rabbits, Raccoons, Rats, Roaches, Scorpions, Silverfish, Skunks, Snails, Slugs, Sod webworms, Spiders, Sprintails, Squrriels, Termites, Thrips, Ticks, Voles, Weeds, Weevils, White Flies, White grubs.

I have about 10 years of experience in insect identification, pest control, and product recommendation.

Organizations (pest control) ID specialist at

All about articles @ for the following: Bed bugs, Ants, Cockroaches, Termites (pending), Rats, and Mice

Bachelors Degree in Biology, Minor in Chemistry Valdotsta State University Pest Management and history Insect identification Medical & Veterinarian Entomolgy