Pest Control/Small caterpillar type critters

Question
George,

Thank you for reading our question.  We have (for the 1st time in 13 years) these small black 'caterpillars' in our basement.  We don't know where they are coming from but there are dozens of them each morning crawling on the floor.  They are maybe 1 inch long and a little thicker than a toothpick.  We are seeing them outside lately too.  Thank you again!!

Answer
Dear David,

They're the immature life stage of an insect that undergoes complete metamorphosis - the question is, which insect.

I'd collect several specimens (put 'em in rubbing alcohol) and call a local pest control company to come  and look at the problem. If that isn't feasible, then get in touch with your local county extension office - they typically can either identify the insect or will know from experience what critters are common during certain times of the year in their locale.

Once we know what they are, we can better address how to get rid of them. Write back once you have an id of the critters.

Hope this helps,

George

Pest Control

George E Serdes