You are here:

Pest Control/styroform worms


I have a 30 inch grade beam under my house. It has 2 inch styrofoam on the inside of the concrete beam . Have lived here for over 20 years.Went down into the crawl space today and found several of the styrofoam panels are full of what looke like worm holes.Took one panel out and a lot of it is gone,mostly on the side that is against the concrete. What is doing this?


I would guess carpenter ants as they will construct nests in insulation foam. Does the damage look like tunnels or larger cavities. Is there any debris associated with the damage. Have you noticed the large carpenter ants (see for picture) around this area? Post a follow up.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack DeAngelis


I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.


I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology

©2017 All rights reserved.