Pest Control/styroform worms

Question
I have a 30 inch grade beam under my house. It has 2 inch styrofoam on the inside of the concrete beam . Have lived here for over 20 years.Went down into the crawl space today and found several of the styrofoam panels are full of what looke like worm holes.Took one panel out and a lot of it is gone,mostly on the side that is against the concrete. What is doing this?

Answer
Lloyd,

I would guess carpenter ants as they will construct nests in insulation foam. Does the damage look like tunnels or larger cavities. Is there any debris associated with the damage. Have you noticed the large carpenter ants (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpenter_ants.html for picture) around this area? Post a follow up.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis