Pest Control/Tiny Bugs In Kitchen Sink

QUESTION: Like a woman asked you before, I also have very tiny bugs that seem to love my white kitchen sink. I have lived in this house for 3 years and had never seen them until 3 weeks ago. They are probably 1 -2 mm's long, dark or black and they move quickly for their size but do not jump or spring. I can easily squish them with my finger. I have probably killed 100 of them so far. I haven't seen them anywhere else in the kitchen away from the sink. Is there some way to get rid of them? I would hate to have guests over for dinner and have them see these bugs. I live in the Tampa FL area.

Can you post a picture? Your description sounds like some kind of mite, or possibly a tiny ant, but I'd like to see an image if possible.

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: I will take a photo but it will probably look like a decimal point. the bugs are actually only 1cm if that.

ANSWER: Ok, you might try taking a picture through a magnifying glass - this sometimes works.

Jack DeAngelis

I don't have a magnifying glass so I tried to take a photo with my cell phone camera magnified as much as possible. Even with a magnifying glass they wouldn't stay still long enough to take a photo. I could kill one but then it would be squished and likely would only show as a black spot. They move quickly for their size and are no bigger than a decimal point and black. I only see them around my white kitchen sink and a few with a flashlight on the counter top close to the sink. It seems like they like the white sink. They don't stray more than 3 - 4" from the edge of the sink. I can't see any under the sink although they could be there I suppose. I would appreciate it if you could make a couple of educated guesses. I am willing to try anything to get rid of them. Thanks even if you can't help from the little information I have provided.

Could be one of the bird mites so take a look at this page for a description. Most mites don't move as fast as you describe so I'm having trouble coming up with some guesses. The other mite found around sinks are mold mites (see for drawing) but these are usually light in color. Moisture is probably what is attracting them in any case so check around for sources of dampness. Hope this is useful.

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology