Pest Control/mice

I live in Gainesville Fl. I live in a mobile home community. And I have mice. Do poisons work immediately? I'm thinking of putting some poison under my mobile home but I worry that if one of the mice survived and then my cat got ahold of it, then I'd be minus a cat and that would be horrible.

I tried this plug-in that is supposed to emit a noise that only pests can hear and keep them away, but it didn't work. Now I have a mouse 'motel' where they go in and stay there, but that's not working either.

The only thing left is an exterminator and are expensive.

So do poisons work immediately? Is one brand better than another?

Dear Joyce,

Sorry to hear about your mice problem and the money you wasted on that gadget that is supposed to chase rodents and insects away - those things flat DO NOT work.

To answer your questions about baits (poisons) - they are basically super blood thinners - causing death by anemia or internal bleeding. While this is a humane way to end their lives - it takes one or two weeks to typically work on them. Not sure about the potential for 'secondary poisoning'  (if your cat were to consume a mouse that has eaten poison baits) with the products available to the lay public. We had a few situations with dogs when I was still active in the business - but Vets know to give the animal a shot of vitamin K to reverse the effect of the poison in non-target critters.

So, yeah you could buy some commercially available mouse baits and put them under your home - assuming your cat does NOT have access to that area. But Joyce, there are several things you can do before you go to the expense of hiring a professional:

A. - Since mice forage for food within a few feet of their nesting space (10 feet is average - but I've seen examples of foraging as far as 30 feet) - you can eliminate any reason for them to forage inside your home. Leave NO food out - clean up all messes immediately - make sure no crumbs are under or behind appliances, etc.

B. - If the mice are not nesting inside your home, then they are coming in from outside - and you can deny them entry. Rodents can squeeze through openings as small as their heads. So, with mice you are talking about holes as small as a dime. You'll need to identify those openings, and seal them up. By the way, if you pack the hole with steel wool before you seal it, it inhibits rodents from re-opening the same hole you've just sealed.

C. - You might consider using mouse traps as opposed to poison baits. With a pet in the home, I'd try steps A. and B. first - but if you still experience problems - look into covered traps that can't be gotten to by the cat. If you go this route, you'll need to deal with the dead critters.

No matter what is done, you'll be out a bit of money for baits, traps, and materials to seal up holes (rodent-proofing) - to say nothing of the time you'll spend dealing with the problem. Joyce, keep in mind that it wouldn't cost you anything to ask several pest control companies to come out and bid on the work. They'll offer solutions and costs that you can use to make informed decisions on whether you want to hire it done or do it yourself.

Which ever way you go, I wish you luck and a Merry Christmas!

Pest Control

George E Serdes

My knowledge is in the areas of structural insect or rodent pest problems. I do not know enough about lawn and garden pests to be of any help there...

I've retired from the pest control industry in Central Florida. I spent 15 years in all areas of the industry (sales, night technician, integrated pest management specialist, service manager, and branch manager for both National and local companies.

Formerly sat on the Florida Pest Management Association's Board of Directors (Region IV)

Retired Florida State Certified Pest Control Operator -