Pest Control/Tub bugs

Question
So yesterday, I found two skinny gray caterpillar like bugs in my tub. They were just hanging there. I freaked out! I quickly killed them with cleaner & rinsed them down the drain. Now my room has a balcony & isn't ever the neatest, but my bathroom I can't stand to have dirty. I hadn't had a chance to clean it that morning, so it had hair dye & a bit of dirt in it. Could the bugs have come up the drain or from the balcony, across my room, & into the bathroom? I haven't found any anywhere else in my townhouse.

Answer
Drain Flies
Drain Flies  
Hey RAVEN!

Thank you so much for this question. There is no need to worry! This is very common.
These are most definitely drain fly larvae! They can get into even the cleanest bath rooms and lay eggs in the drains. They can spring up from out of nowhere. Drain flies feed on moist, organic materials such as decaying vegetation, and other microscopic plants and animals in the standing water and in drains. They lay eggs in moist organic materials and hatch in as little as a day or so at room temperature. Populations can spring up very quickly! Drain fly larvae reach reproductive maturity in 9 to 15 days. Drain flies have a life cycle of 1 to 3 weeks, with adult living about two weeks before dying.

Damage:

Drain flies tend to appear rather mysteriously and suddenly, multiplying quickly and becoming a nuisance by their numbers.

Drain flies originate in filth, and carry diseases that may possibly be transmitted to humans.

Drain flies do not bite if they do it is by accident.

The presence of drain flies in large numbers may cause or intensify bronchial asthma.

So now lets talk about removing these Drain Flies or sewer flies:

Simply cleaning out the drain that is affected can have a very beneficial effect on the population of flies, but it is almost never sufficient to completely eradicate the problem.

If you’re serious about learning how to get rid of drain flies, you also need to employ a good Drain Fly killer that is approved for use against these pests. One such product is called Invade Hot Spot. There is also a gel that is designed to get deep into drains called DF 5000. Both of these products are very effective at getting rid of Drain Flies.

Thoroughly coat inside of all drains with Drain Gel during down time and repeat treatment nightly for one to two weeks. Coupled with good sanitation, this treatment is usually adequate to completely eliminate drain flies.

Drain flies rest around the sink area during the day. Placing glue boards around infested drains near fly resting areas will capture most of the adult flies. You can also spray around the drain and sink with a residual aerosol such as Invader HPX. These products can help ease the infestation while the drain gel does its job.

Products: (below) fast free shipping to. They are my go-to company for my DIY pest control services.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/drain-flies-c-146.html

My Thanks!

Chris

Pest Control

Christopher A. Rice