Pest Control/Kitchen Pests

Question
QUESTION: Hello!

I have a severe phobia of bugs. not spiders (although not really insects, I suppose), but anything else makes me run to my room and hide. When I first lived alone, I was experiencing little black beetles that were in my kitchen sink. However, they were usually already dead. I don't know how much time went by, but eventually they stopped appearing. I moved back home with my parents, and never saw such insects again. I have since moved away, and had my first experience with the little black beetles again. I was cleaning the kitchen floor and found one on the rug underneath the kitchen sink. I worked up the courage to see what they actually may be. I read that they were a type of beetle that eats dead animal flesh. fair enough, but the irony is, I'm a vegetarian! I have never seen these insects in anyone else's home, so I'm wondering if there is something I'm doing that is bringing such bugs in? are they the type of bug I think they are? I'm really worried and I'm starting to feel like I must be doing something unsanitary that's attracting them. please help!

thank you,
Ashley

ANSWER: Ashley,

You are describing a carpet beetle and they are very common pests in homes. You are not doing anything that attracts them. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for a close up picture and more about these beetles. There are several species so your beetles may not look exactly like this. They are completely harmless and very common.

Jack DeAngelis

little bug
little bug  
stink
stink  
QUESTION: Hi Jack,

Thank you so much for all of your help! I finally have some pictures of the bugs appearing in my kitchen. I think the bigger one is a stink bug, but the smaller one I'm just not sure. Thank you so much for all of your help!

ANSWER: Ashley,

The image called "little bug" looks like a bed bug but I can't see it clearly enough to certain. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/bed_bug.html for a picture of a bed bug. I can't see enough detail in the second image to id.

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: Jack,  that is probably my worst fear. I found that little bug on the floor of my kitchen. It did look different from from the other small bugs I had seen, but I didn't think much of it. I don't have any bites and I haven't found anything in my bed. The landlord came and sprayed the kitchen and outside the house. Is there a possibility it's something else or should I be worried?

Answer
Collect it if you can in alcohol so that it can be examined more carefully. A pest control company or your local county Extension office should be able to do an id on it. Once the id is confirmed then you can decide on next steps. If you don't find any more don't worry it might have been a "one off" and won't occur again.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis