Pest Control/Spider identification request

Question
Spider
Spider  
The diameter of this spider is about a nickel, including its legs. I live in Michigan near wooded, swampy area and am bombarded with these spiders. They run fast across the floor. Spring and fall they come indoors. Grass spiders??

Answer
Dear Linda,

The picture you enclosed looks like a wolf spider. Very common species and not known to vector any disease or be harmful to humans. They probably live just outside your home and come inside while hunting dinner (these critters don't spin weds - they chase down their prey).

Make sure your building is in good physical condition - properly screened and sealed to prevent or at least reduce entry. Treating the exterior against insect pests will help also - in that if there are fewer insects to prey on, there will be fewer spiders... Make sure all exterior lights on your structure are the yellow bulbs. My guess is that a woody swampy area is going to have lots of insect critters - and the yellow bulbs will cut down on the "insect attractiveness" of your home.

Hope some of this helps,

George

Pest Control

George E Serdes