Pest Control/Biting midges in my screened patio

I live on a salt water canal off Tampa Bay. No-see-ums are a real problem in the area so I've had the screens around my pool deck replaced with extra fine mesh. The patio still has the pests. They are black and so tiny you can't really make out details of body shape without magnification. Is there any way to get rid of them inside the screen?

Repellents containing DEET or picaridin are fairly effective as are "personal foggers" (see for details). The foggers could be used inside the screen. You could also try one of the mosquito traps that use carbon dioxide as attractant (see for details). These traps should be used outside the enclosure in the yard.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology