Pest Control/small black bugs in kitchen

small bug
small bug  
I have these small black bugs in my kitchen, and had them last spring/summer as well. They don't bite as far as I can tell, and are actually usually dead/near dead when I see them, though I have observed that they have wings. They appear to be coming from under my stove, though I can't be sure. The gravitate toward my cat's food/water. They are very small (see picture for reference) and crumble when squished. Any idea what they could be?

I plan to move my cat's food and water, but what can I do beyond that? Even if they are harmless, bugs in the kitchen = gross!

Looks like one of the carpet beetles (there are several species) and since they often infest stored/discarded food, including pet food, my guess is there's an infestation under the stove. There may be spilled cat food that is infested. See for pictures and ways to combat the problem.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology