Pest Control/termites

Hi George,

Recently we found out that we have subterranean termite in our house. We removed the dry wall around the window area and saw multiple trails along the window area. There was a hole on the ceiling as well. We asked a termite control company to have a look. Their proposal was to drill hole around the entire house using termido to cutoff the route. Do we need to do something inside the house? For instance, do we need to tear out the ceiling where hole is seen? Is there a special company to clean the muddy trails around the stud area?

Dear Qin,

When the product "Termidor" is used around the perimeter of your home, it WILL kill the termites that are infesting your home. The termites in the wood are eating it, but they don't live in it. They go back to the ground continuously - and so, when they pass through the treated area, they pick up a material that will kill them in a couple of days, but lets them live long enough to spread it around their nest-mates and killing them as well.

Eventually, the entire colony is destroyed - thus ridding your home of the termites.

Then Qin, if this were my house, I would find a general contractor to examine my home for structural integrity. Have a couple or three of them out to give you estimates of fixing the damage. If they end up replacing the infested studs (which is likely) you'll have brand new lumber in there, and the "Termidor" will continue to protect your home (as it does mine!) for the next several years.

Hope this helps,

Pest Control

George E Serdes

My knowledge is in the areas of structural insect or rodent pest problems. I do not know enough about lawn and garden pests to be of any help there...

I've retired from the pest control industry in Central Florida. I spent 15 years in all areas of the industry (sales, night technician, integrated pest management specialist, service manager, and branch manager for both National and local companies.

Formerly sat on the Florida Pest Management Association's Board of Directors (Region IV)

Retired Florida State Certified Pest Control Operator -