Pest Control/Ash boror

Hi my name is Jake. I know theirs a lot of Ash trees dying out there. And my question is, Will all the Ash boror insects die out if all the ash trees die?

There are cases where a non-native species like the emerald ash borer completely eliminated their host then die out, at least on a regional scale. However, in this case it is more likely that the insect and its host tree will establish some sort of equilibrium, perhaps at a lower density of ash trees. It is also possible that the trees will develop resistance to the beetles over time.

Jack DeAngelis  

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology