Pest Control/hardwood tree cut down

hi..last month a relative cut down a hardwood tree on my front lawn. then he took all the pieces of it and stacked them right up against the house thinking we would use this for firewood this winter. after having a bout of termites a few years ago, i really dont want to go through all that again. so the question is..will this wood he cut down and stacked be ok right up against the house, or do i need to burn it up or have it hauled off the property? thank you!!

As long as the wood is used in a year or so there's no problem. Termite colonies (see for info) take time to develop so just use the wood in the next year and you'll be fine.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology