Pest Control/Roaches

Hi. I just found a belly up roach in my living room. After looking online, I'm fairly certain it is a smoky brown cockroach. I've lived in my home for nearly twenty years and I've never seen a roach. I deal with the occasional spider. I've even made peace with the snakes that seem determined to invade my backyard, but I cannot stand roaches. I've heard the saying about there never being one cockroach, so I'm trying to resist the urge to have the whole house fumigated.

I live in rural, South Carolina and I've seen my fair share of these critters outside, but not in my house. Could this be a situation where it just ventured in with the dogs at night or should I be more concerned. I've checked under the sinks, behind the washer/dryer, and in the bathrooms and I don't see any evidence of more bugs. What would you suggest?  Thanks.

It is true that when you find a cockroach it usually means there's more. But, this refers to finding live cockroaches. Finding a single dead roach might mean it just came in from outside. In either case it might be a good idea to start a baiting program (DON'T fumigate). Baits are relatively inexpensive, a DIY project, and very effective. See for general info about using baits. You could try the borate baits like "Roach Pruf" first then move to the professional baits if a problem is detected.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology