Pest Control/HUMPBACK FLIES

Question
HUMPBACK FLIES
HUMPBACK FLIES  
I HAVE IDENTIFIED THESE FLIES FROM THE VEIN PATTERNS ON THE WINGS AND GENERAL DESCRIPTION ON MANY INTERNET SITES. WE HAVE BEEN TREATING ALL OF THE DRAINS IN THE HOUSE WITH NO LUCK. WE HAVE A NO PEST STRIP IN ONE BATHROOM AND ARE FINDING MANY DEAD FLIES BUT THEY KEEP COMING. CAN'T SEEM TO GET ANYONE TO COME OUT AND LOOK.

Answer
Mark,

These flies develop in all sorts of decaying vegetable/plant material including the "gunk" that forms inside drains. In that sense they are similar to drain flies (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/drain_fly.html for control of drain flies). In your case the flies could be coming from another source perhaps even outside the house. Check around for water sources (such as leaky pipes) that might be supporting algae (green, slimy growth) as these can be sources as well. In short anything that is wet and rotting. Also check any compost piles, even outside sources. Once the source is found sanitation is the best control.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis