Pest Control/Black ants in house

We live in Fallston Md and are seeing black ants in our house one at a time at least two aday never in the same place cant track them dont know where they coming from are going to. Could you advise me me on where to look.  Thank You

The best way to pinpoint the location of an infestation is with baits. Put several bait stations per room and after a few days you should see ant feeding activity. Start with inexpensive sugar/borate baits such as Terro (see for general info about ant baits) then once the infestation is more or less isolated put out the new gel/paste baits in rooms where you see more activity. The ants will carry the poison bait back to their nests.

Jack DeAngelis  

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology