Pest Control/What are these bugs?? Urgent, newborn in home...

Question
bug2
bug2  
bug1
bug1  
QUESTION: Dear Jack,
I have been finding these small brown bugs crawling on my walls (I saw around 10 today). I have a newborn baby at home so wanted to make sure they do not bite and are not harmful in any way...I've seen them mostly around the kitchen.

I'm attaching a photo, many thanks!

Inbal

ANSWER: Inbal,

The photos are too blurry to id. I think your camera's autofocus is focussing on the paper towel rather than the insect. You might try using manual focus setting if possible.

Jack DeAngelis

bug3
bug3  

bug4
bug4  
QUESTION: Thank you for the quick response! I tried to get a better photo, here it is!

Answer
This is a beetle but there's a lot of damage. However, it looks like one of the species that infest stored food such as the drugstore beetle (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cigarette_drugstore_beetle.html for photos). Check around for a container of dry food (including dry pet food) that is infested. Discard everything that is infested then carefully clean crack, crevices and surfaces with a vacuum cleaner. Then, if necessary treat the area with a botanical insecticide that is approved for this use in your area (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/botanical_insecticide.html).

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis