Pest Control/Bird Mite Infestation

Question
I've just "emerged" from battling bird mites for over a month.  I am hoping that it's all over now.  The landlord finally hired an exterminator who treated my apartment and the attic.  The mites had traveled down through a wall heater (I am on the second floor) into my apartment.  This was truly horrific and I was bitten viciously by these parasites.  Once I saw them and how tiny they were, I was amazed that their bites could cause such agony.  As you know, there is a lot of misinformation about these parasites, but after one goes through this, one can almost believe the horror stories.  To be on the safe side, I sprayed around the baseboards with Ortho Home Defense after the exterminator had been here, because I was bitten twice following their treatment.  I haven't been bitten in just over a week.  Do you think I'm finally in the clear?

Answer
Mary,

I agree there is a lot of misinformation and hype about the so called bird mites around. We know for certain that the mites don't infest homes once the birds are gone so you are probably in the clear. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/bird_mites.html for more background about these mites and how to manage any future problems.  

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis