Pest Control/Rodent Mites

I recently sat on a park bench for many hours, unaware there were either mice or rats present until i left and saw quite a few scuttle under dustbins. I live in a city. I was just wondering whether or not it was possible to pick up a mite infestation from my exposure. I know this might sound silly but i worry as i became itchy by my feet as i got up to leave. Many thanks.

It is very unlikely that you would be exposed to rodent mites this way (see for info about this group of mites). The mites occur mainly in the nest and only leave the host animal when the host animal dies. Post a follow up if you have questions after looking over the page cited above.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology