Pest Control/Tiny biting bug and small ugly bug.

Black biting bug
Black biting bug  

Ugly bug in wall
Ugly bug in wall  
I found these tiny black biting bugs with wings & they have like a curly long hair attached to them sometimes on my skin. They are so tiny they look like a speck of dirt at first glance, but they pack a punch with their bite & itchiness. They don't seem to leave marks where they bite though. Then I found this other little guy near the baseboard in our bathroom, it was about the size of the tip of my pinky finger. There is water damage in our bathroom from a leaky skylight. Our house is older and was vacant for a few years before we moved in last year so we've been trying to fix all the cracks and leaks but we are still in the process of it all. We live out in the country in east Texas and it's been extremely wet and rainy out here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the quality of the pics, it's the best I could do with my phone. I have other pics with different angles if needed.

The first image looks like a small fly, possibly a psychodid (moth fly). I can't see enough detail to be certain, however. Since some of these flies bite it is possible that they are responsible for the bites. Psychodids develop in water so it may be that the recent rains are contributing to the problem. The second image is a small beetle that likely came into the house from outside. It should not cause any problems.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology