Pest Control/Boric acid and insects

Two questions for you:
-After a roach has eaten something laced with boric acid, how many minutes, hours or days approximately does it take to die?
-Is boric acid poisonous to other insects?  What about frogs and lizards.

Probably not the usual questions, but I would be interested to know.

This question is a lot more complicated than it might appear. There are lots of factors that influence toxicity of any poison including dose, body size, individual sensitivity, and so forth. In this case I'd guess on average death would occur in hours rather than minutes or days but again that depends on a lot of factors. Boric acid is not very toxic to vertebrate animals but it is highly toxic to plants. See for some general boric acid and insect control.

Jack DeAngelis

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions about the control of pest insects, spiders, mites and related arthropods. These household pests include termites, carpenter ants, powderpost beetles, nuisance ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, and many others. I can also answer questions about using pesticides and other pest control tools such as baits and traps.

I am a retired university extension entomologist. I've taught and conducted research in urban and agricultural entomology. I've published over 70 extension publications, 20 research publications and several books about insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology