Pest Control/Questions Answered by Expert George E Serdes

SubjectDate Asked
mice3/14/2017
  Q: ...about 5 or 6 yrs. ago we had mice. As one exterminator said you never have a mouse you have ...
  A: Sorry to hear of your troubles. That exterminator you mentioned was right, if you see one, there are ...
Drainage insects1/20/2017
  Q: I am based in Mumbai, India. I have recently found that small flying insects are accumulating in ...
  A: I know of no repellent that would be effective against these insects. One method that could give ...
booklice!!1/17/2017
  Q: I hope you can help me, I am in the UK and have a woodwind instrument (oboe) which I have to ...
  A: What we refer to as 'booklice' are NOT lice at all. They are an insect known as a psocid. These ...
Rodent Infestation1/8/2017
  Q: We've had issues with mice this year, they found their way into my closet. They've done some ...
  A: You don't say why you aren't sure they are gone. What did you do to get rid of them? If you haven't ...
Indian meal moth source infestation8/17/2016
  Q: . Wondering if you could please help. Back in June 2013, I brought some perfume boxes home from my ...
  A: Kudos to you and yours for all the hard work you've done. Unfortunately, sometimes that's what ...
termites5/6/2016
  Q: Last year termites swarmed in my downstairs bathroom and I called the extermination company for ...
  A: Yes, the termites are feeding on your house. Whatever material (chemical) that was used last year ...
Mouse Problem2/20/2016
  Q: Around 3 weeks ago we had a mouse in the house, we managed to get it out and assumed it must have ...
  A: Every couples of months, a female mouse can throw a litter of around a half dozen or more pups. So ...
Millipede control1/1/2016
  Q: In our township, most houses have the problem of millipede. They invade into houses from nearby ...
  A: Please forgive the delay in answering your question. I seldom used any organophosphate insecticides ...
Rats and pest control companies12/25/2015
  Q: Happy Holidays! As a special present, we heard scratching coming from one of our kitchen drawers. ...
  A: Your letter raises two questions: DIY or hire it done by a company? If I hire a company, how do I ...
Brick building dining room window wasps8/2/2015
  Q: I live in an apartment building. I am on a low floor. Five days ago my mom spotted a wasp on the ...
  A: In answer to your final question, the only thing you can do other than monitor the situation ...
HELP with birdmites!7/22/2015
  Q: I believe we have a bird mite problem and I need your help as to how nervous I should be about this ...
  A: If there is a large enough population of them, once the original host(s) leave the nest, the adult ...
insecticide6/11/2015
  Q: malathion is mainly used for which insect mouthparts sucking type or chewing type??
  A: Malathion is used for a wide variety of insects - [e.g., it can be used against insects such as ...
Rats or something else?5/26/2015
  Q: We live in San Francisco. Its an urban, residential area but adjacent to an open hillside (we ...
  A: I agree that the larger of the two droppings look to be rat droppings, but I haven't a clue on the ...
Drain Flies4/7/2015
  Q: We have a jetted tub and started seeing swarms of drain flies on the wall of the tile wall around ...
  A: Sorry for such a long delay in getting back to you (computer bugs are a lot harder for me to control ...
mouse3/29/2015
  Q: I found chewed wood in kitchen cupboard recently and we put down a humane trap to catch mouse. we ...
  A: There are a variety of internet sites that have images for your review. Just Google images of rodent ...
flies1/6/2015
  Q: I have big black slow moving flies in my house They are in my kitchen bathrooms and in lights but ...
  A: A couple of different flies come to mind when you say they are bigger than house flies, you're ...
Tiny worms12/4/2014
  Q: I have noticed tiny little worms in my guest bedroom that are curled up and look dead. When you ...
  A: It's likely that they are larvae of an insect - but which one? It isn't possible to ID the adult ...
mice11/30/2014
  Q: I live in Gainesville Fl. I live in a mobile home community. And I have mice. Do poisons work ...
  A: Sorry to hear about your mice problem and the money you wasted on that gadget that is supposed to ...
Mice keep coming back, is it the hamster?11/9/2014
  Q: I live in a very busy part of London and have quite an old appartment, and have been having mice ...
  A: The only thing that mice would find attractive regarding a hamster would be its food. It is ...
powder post beetles11/1/2014
  Q: I have an old barn,30' x 50' post and beam construction, build a 100 years ago. 30 years ago I ...
  A: To answer your last question first - since most of the insects that produce a powdery kind of frass ...
tiny bugs in kitchen10/17/2014
  Q: I have these tiny seed-like bugs, they look black. Also, there are flying bugs that were noticed ...
  A: From the description of your problem, I'd guess you're being pestered by some species of stored ...
Termite problem6/26/2014
  Q: I am having problem with termites in wooden doors in my house.Can you tell me if there is any ...
  A: The short answer to your question is that I don't know of any termiticide that contains wood sealer ...
termites6/24/2014
  Q: Recently we found out that we have subterranean termite in our house. We removed the dry wall around ...
  A: When the product "Termidor" is used around the perimeter of your home, it WILL kill the termites ...
Elephant graveyard for ants??5/12/2014
  Q: My dad lives in Northeast Florida. We have noticed that there are 10 or more are piles of 10 - 25+ ...
  A: These are Florida Carpenter Ants. They like to live in wood, excavating out galleries in which they ...
Ground Coffee-Like Residue5/10/2014
  Q: I bought a house built in 1918 and I am finding ground coffee-like residue here and there against ...
  A: Very likely to be a wood destroying insect (perhaps drywood termites). Have it checked out right ...
Spider identification request4/24/2014
  Q: The diameter of this spider is about a nickel, including its legs. I live in Michigan near wooded, ...
  A: The picture you enclosed looks like a wolf spider. Very common species and not known to vector any ...
Bugs?4/19/2014
  Q: They seem to favour paper as a habitat although not exclusively and as of yet they haven't migrated ...
  A: The first step is to positively identify the insects. Unfortunately, the picture you've enclosed ...
mice11/11/2013
  Q: we saw droppings on the kitchen counters and my wife saw a mouse dive under the dishwasher. we ...
  A: I've seen tons of research on those electronic devices - not a bit of evidence that they work! Don't ...
Termite Termiticide and Treatment9/24/2013
  Q: I have an subterranean Termite in my house with a basement and I like to get some info on the ...
  A: First, let's discuss the two termiticides you're considering. The active ingredient in Termidor has ...
Small caterpillar type critters8/20/2013
  Q: George, Thank you for reading our question. We have (for the 1st time in 13 years) these small ...
  A: They're the immature life stage of an insect that undergoes complete metamorphosis - the question ...
How to choose the right pest control company.8/14/2013
  Q: I HATE ROACHES!!!!! I have them living in the dishwasher!!!! Please help, they won't die! No matter ...
  A: Getting rid of roaches requires a thorough understanding of their habits and biology as well as a ...
bugs6/8/2013
  Q: along the baseboard of a outside we find debries somewhat like sawdust but more grainy i vacuum it ...
  A: Without seeing the material itself, I'm inclined to believe it is either drywood termites or ...
ants6/7/2013
  Q: We have ants in the house. Most of them are in the kitchen and love the garbage can. Do ants come ...
  A: The way ants work is this: All ants have jobs to do. The job may entail excavating a new chamber in ...
drywood termite lifestyle4/18/2013
  Q: We have a single family home with vented attic in S. Fla. Please tell us the average lifespan of one ...
  A: Tom, Very sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I'm out of town and just got access to ...
Termite Bond4/17/2013
  Q: Mr. Serdes, I purchased my home in Pensacola FL in Aug of 2004. The slab was treated and a Termite ...
  A: Mike, Sorry to take forever to get back to you. Am out of town and have been without internet for ...
Ash Borer3/7/2013
  Q: I was wondering when did the ash borer insect entered to north america? Thank you, Jake
  A: My expertise lies in structural insects and rodents - therefore I have no experience with this ...
german cockroaches2/19/2013
  Q: Mr. Serdes, Thank you so much for your time. I have been battling german cockroaches for about 2 ...
  A: German cockroaches are extremely difficult to eradicate. The best thing I ever did was to use gel ...
Large black ants in house in winter2/4/2013
  Q: We moved in to our house in the northeast (upstate NY) two years ago. I don't recall seeing ants the ...
  A: Does sound like carpenter ants for sure. They, among all the ants, are able to survive cold weather ...
Rodents in outdoor gas grill1/9/2013
  Q: I've been advised that shavings of "Irish Spring" bar soap is a natural repellant. Have you tried ...
  A: No. However, I Googled the concept of using Irish Spring as a repellent and several forums showed ...
Carpenter Ants?9/3/2012
  Q: George, It is late August temperatures in Delaware roughly 80-95 degrees. Our house is 45 years ...
  A: I'd do two things. Have your exterminator use "Termidor" according to the label directions for use ...
spider identification and control8/28/2012
  Q: I just moved to Colorado from California. We are living in a log cabin in the foothills of the ...
  A: All spiders have a poisonous venom that they use to kill their prey. But, the only spiders that are ...
rats in vents. How do i get rid of them?8/14/2012
  Q: We have rats in our vents that come out at night. (Our kids use to take them off and when we went to ...
  A: The question is, how are the rats getting into the vents in the first place? Not enough detail in ...
mouse-like droppings on side of support beam in garage7/8/2012
  Q: (Location: San Francicso, CA) There is a support beam that runs down the middle of the garage, and ...
  A: Based on their shape and one tapered end, the images certainly look like rodent droppings. If some ...
RE:7/2/2012
  Q: I live in a triplex. A few years ago, we had a rodent problem which was contained through a number ...
  A: Absolutely NOT! There is no scientific evidence that these devices work. I've fought rodents, ...
still have a sugar ant problem7/1/2012
  Q: I've tried Raid ant traps. When I put them out, I don't see any ants. They seem to "disappear", ...
  A: You should be able to get Terro in any Home Depot or Loews, etc. Terro is a sweet bait which most ...
Outdoor ants everywhere6/14/2012
  Q: I know ants are beneficial to my yard, but they have taken over my entire yard. They are getting ...
  A: There are a variety of insecticides available to broadcast on your yard - some work by killing ants ...
ants in my dishwasher--where should I place the baits?6/11/2012
  Q: I wrote to you about a recent ant problem in my kitchen. I did like you suggested - I put down the ...
  A: Empty the dishes from the dishwasher and run it. That will destroy any ants in there at the time. ...
Unidentifiable Pest Feces5/26/2012
  Q: Wondering if you can shed some light. Recently I have found a few pest droppings in the lower level ...
  A: Unfortunately I can't retrieve the picture on Photobucket. I keep getting an "Exception" error. ...
cockroach problem5/15/2012
  Q: George, Thank you very much for your time. For the past several months I have been battling ...
  A: Tanya, Forgive the delay in getting back to you - some things going on in my personal life. First, ...
Bugs5/3/2012
  Q: I then went out and bought but spray and insect spry and flea spray just in case it was any of these ...
  A: The single most important thing to do for safe and effective pest control is to identify the species ...
bugs/carpet beetles12/12/2011
  Q: i first saw these bugs in my upsatirs bathroom, then in my kitchen and downstairs bathroom. As soon ...
  A: First, are you absolutely certain they are "carpet beetles"? There are many different species of ...
Small flying insects11/12/2011
  Q: There are flying insects in my house that are harmless but annoying. They are reproducing very fast, ...
  A: There are many, many different small flying insects. It is absolutely necessary to know exactly what ...
Sly rodent?10/28/2011
  Q: I live in Hawaii and I've laid out a couple of glue traps in my kitchen for a couple of weeks ...
  A: You definitely need to patch up that hole - and do it with something stronger than duct tape. I'd ...
feces found in garage9/8/2011
  Q: I'm based in the UK and have found some feces in our garage and was wondering if you can possibly ...
  A: Sorry, but I don't recognize the fecal matter as coming from any animals/insects I've had the ...
EUROPEAN HORNETS8/31/2011
  Q: Im assuming these are European Hornets we are dealing with....in our lilac bushes. We have 4 lilacs ...
  A: I strongly recommend you have this problem handled by professionals. They'll need to locate the nest ...
unknown droppings in kitchen drawer8/3/2011
  Q: I went into my top drawer where I keep my utensils and I found some black droppings in there. They ...
  A: I suspect you are finding droppings from one of our larger species of roaches. They may be hiding in ...
Carpenter Ants in Fireplace7/26/2011
  Q: George, I saw your other reply to a woman who asked a similar question. We live in the AZ desert ...
  A: I can't understand why your exterminator is trying to eradicate these ants by using insecticidal ...
Identify dropping or chocolate7/15/2011
  Q: Yesterday while in our living room my 4 year old came running up to me with something she found on ...
  A: It does look like a rodent dropping. Normally find several,not just one, so it's hard to say. The ...
mice/rats7/3/2011
  Q: We are having a problem with mice/rats that are making their home in our backyard and under our ...
  A: I've used gumdrops, pieces of string, a special bait made of molasses and macadamia nuts, raw meat, ...
Possible Cockroach Droppings?6/24/2011
  Q: Yesterday while cleaning I saw 4 pieces of black "droppings" - at first I thought they were plastic ...
  A: From your description I would think these are droppings from one of the larger species of roaches ...
Termites in Vancouver homes?5/3/2011
  Q: I live in Vancouver, BC. My boyfriend is an immigrant who has 30 years of experiences in termite ...
  A: The less temperate an area, the less termites are a problem. While there are some mentions in the ...
Possible Mouse?5/1/2011
  Q: I live in the triad area of NC - on the board of Surry/Stokes Co. I was cleaning the toddler ...
  A: Sorry for the delay in replying - computer issues! It is unlikely to be a mouse as they typically ...
droppings5/1/2011
  Q: on my outside windowsill, i have about 6 hard oval shaped ,the size of a small jellybean, black in ...
  A: Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you (computer has been acting up). What you're describing ...
flies3/18/2011
  Q: Every spring we get swarms of flies that cover the house, the fence, you name it, but it has to be ...
  A: They may be cluster flies Pam, but without examining one of them, I don't know exactly what species ...
Rat Problem2/21/2011
  Q: I have just bought an older home and have learned that we may have a rat problem as we found a large ...
  A: No worries Ken. If you see one, don't move toward it, it may not notice you immediately, (they have ...
mouse/rat in wall2/12/2011
  Q: We in our house seem to have a mouse/rat problem. We can hear intermittent scratching inside our ...
  A: I have found a wide variety of causes for noises in walls. Birds, bees, paper wasps, rats, ...
How to determine rat contamination/Health Hazard2/11/2011
  Q: My husband & I bought an older Van/Camper that was the perfect solution to affordably travel when he ...
  A: Most, although not all, hantavirus risk comes from exterior living rodents (e.g., deer mice, cotton ...
drywood termites12/27/2010
  Q: Have found drywood termites in platform bed base. If I discard the bed entirely, is further ...
  A: Disposing of the infested base is PROBABLY all you need to do. But I'd check the rest of the bed for ...
pests galore!!12/1/2010
  Q: PLEASE HELP!!! I have a crazy infestation of both pantry moths. I also have gnats that must use my ...
  A: The four factors that make up the cost of pest control are: chemicals, time, effort, and knowledge. ...
Rodent in wall?11/20/2010
  Q: Weve lived in our house for a little less than a year. We have not had problems with rodents until ...
  A: Unfortunately, sounds aren't very reliable in identifying problems. The droppings you found would ...
Moths/larvae11/1/2010
  Q: I have been killing a few tiny brown moths a day for the last couple of weeks. Now today I have ...
  A: This is one of those good news, bad news things... The bad news is that they can be infesting ANY ...
Please help!! Tiny Brown Bugs on wall10/27/2010
  Q: I was at a relative's NYC apartment last night and noticed quite a few tiny brownish/black bugs on ...
  A: Not to worry. The picture is that of a beetle. Unfortunately there isn't enough detail for me to ...
Rodent Control10/26/2010
  Q: We recently bought a house in Northern CA and had extensive remodel work done, including addressing ...
  A: It seems you guys are doing everything possible. Without an actual inspection, I can only theorize ...
Unknown Pest Problem10/20/2010
  Q: During a single day we had a squirrel problem and then a mouse problem. We've since blocked the ...
  A: Without actually seeing the droppings I can't offer a guess at what you are dealing with. Based on ...
Scratching in wall at night10/18/2010
  Q: Twice now, I have heard what sounds like very light scratching or chewing noises inside my wall at ...
  A: The only insect it could be would be one of the wood boring species. Possibly it is a small animal - ...
Fly infestation9/29/2010
  Q: I have an RV which i have had for the last three years. I park it in the same place and this ...
  A: From your description of the situation it sounds like Cluster Flies are your problem. These flies ...
TERMITE BONDS9/28/2010
  Q: George, I agree about keeping the bond (Murphy's Law lives in my house), but this stuff is so ...
  A: I understand your confusion and will do my best to clarify this as best I can. I'm very familiar ...
small jumping bugs8/9/2010
  Q: My brother have number o small dark jumping bugs coming out of my wooden floor, see image. They have ...
  A: I can't be absolutely certain - but I believe the critter is a psocid (also called booklce). The ...
rat in basement8/6/2010
  Q: .. ive got the smartest rat... it got stuck on sticky traps but got away..got snapped by a trap ...
  A: Have given your problem some thought - but if you've used a pro and he or she has given up - ...
rats7/27/2010
  Q: I live in NY, NY (Manhattan) in a private row house w/ a large backyard garden that is entirely ...
  A: I commend you on your resourcefulness. Rats should be able to easily jump the 15-18 inches, but ...
A rat in our apartment7/26/2010
  Q: Serdes, I walked into my kitchen an hour ago and I saw, much to my horror, a rat (not huge and not ...
  A: Your concern for your niece is valid. Access to your unit would be quite easy for a rat (plumbing ...
bugs7/26/2010
  Q: Only in my master bath on the floor, I keep finding a diamond shaped bug that looks like it's made ...
  A: Unfortunately, your description isn't sufficient for me to identify the critter. If possible, take ...
Fly Larvae7/21/2010
  Q: I have recently been getting a lot of flies in my home. Last night I saw what looked like maggots on ...
  A: Fly larvae are called maggots. After they hatch from the egg, the maggot will crawl off somewhere. ...
tiny little bugs tha jump7/20/2010
  Q: I'm trying to identify these tiny little grayish silver bugs that I have found in the unfinished ...
  A: Very likely they're a species of critters called "springtails". If so, they are nothing to be ...
Roaches7/7/2010
  Q: We 'think' our next door neighbors are to blame for our roach problem. There have been 'sightings' ...
  A: You don't mention if your home is adjacent to, or separate from, your neighbors'. If it is adjacent ...
Flies in new screened in porch7/3/2010
  Q: We just had our front porch screened in. The bottem part of it has been closed in with lattice. We ...
  A: I see a couple of things here. First, the only way they are getting in is through some small opening ...
pests6/15/2010
  Q: Not sure what I have. We have an upper and lower wooden deck, and lately, along the back wall of ...
  A: My first guess would be carpenter bees. If so, not the worst of problems - but regardless, best to ...
Getting rid of rats under house6/2/2010
  Q: I have a rambler with full basement, and there was an addition at some point on the bedroom so half ...
  A: Rats are scared of new things in their environment - but not sure how you could use this to chase ...
German Cockroaches5/28/2010
  Q: I am a Canadian student who has been renting apartments for about 2 years now. The first apartment I ...
  A: Female German roaches maintain the egg capsule attached to their bodies until about 24 hours before ...
mite5/19/2010
  Q: .. can they be coming into my house from my down stairs neighbors she has hamsters gerbils , and ...
  A: There are a variety of access points around plumbing, etc. that would allow pests from your ...
Roaches Spiders5/14/2010
  Q: Im getting some roaches/spiders in living room, bedroom, kitchen. House about 1700 sf, single story ...
  A: I've examined the efficacy of a wide variety of those "electronic repellents" over the years - NONE ...
bee removal5/5/2010
  Q: I noticed bees coming in and out of the soffits of the house. I had a bee removal company give me an ...
  A: Begin your search for a pest control company by going to the National Pest Management Association's ...
bug...4/28/2010
  Q: I seen the same question but no answer for identifying a bug. It looks like its a type a beetle.I ...
  A: I'm sorry but I am not familiar with this insect. I've reviewed the literature, and --- solely as a ...
tiny holes all over yard4/8/2010
  Q: I have noticed all these little holes in my yard. I haven't seen what is making them. I'm thinking ...
  A: Stephanie, Likely to be ground nesting wasps. They are beneficial insects so no control is ...
baby worms3/2/2010
  Q: I read the question and answer about the baby worms. I too have this problem and had the house ...
  A: I haven't answered any questions about baby worms - so I'm not sure what the original expert had in ...
ROACHES ROACHES AGHH2/26/2010
  Q: HELP. I have never ever ever ever ever ever had roaches before. I moved into this house in ...
  A: Not all roaches are alike. The one species of roach which is not only disgusting, but also a health ...
Smelly dead rodents1/12/2010
  Q: We can smell a "dead mouse stench" that seems to be coming from the bathroom fan in our apartment ...
  A: Although the building super is correct in that the smell will eventually go away, the main question ...
Test urine to see if it's from rodents1/9/2010
  Q: Uuuugh, I know it's a gross question, here's the issue... We are renters, only 2 mos so far and not ...
  A: Calligan, Unfortunately, I know of no way to determine what species of animal left the urine. I'm ...
droppings12/14/2009
  Q: We have found small droppings in the storage compartment of our stove and in our hall bathroom. They ...
  A: If they are rodent droppings they would have to be pretty old to be "very hard". Could be large ...
Bed bugs12/13/2009
  Q: I stayed in a hotel room with bedbugs Dec 3. I went straight to the laundry mat, changed into new ...
  A: With the actions you took, it would be extremely hard for bedbugs to have survived in your clothing. ...
Mystery Pest That Eats Cardboard12/13/2009
  Q: I have some kind of pest that has made holes in paper bags and cardboard items in the kitchen, ...
  A: Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, the Holidays and all... Several things come to mind, from ...
HELP PEST12/9/2009
  Q: My name is Shannon and I am freaking out. I have recently moved to central florida with my mom and ...
  A: The safest way to deal with roaches is to "bait them". Using baits effectively against roaches is ...
worms in the shower11/10/2009
  Q: I was in the shower when I found some worms, wriggling around on the shower floor. The worms are ...
  A: Sounds like some kind of larvae (immature life stage of certain insects.) A good idea would be to ...
Wasps entering apartment11/7/2009
  Q: I have a bit of a problem with wasps. For the past few months I have been seeing A TON of wasps ...
  A: If you think they are getting in through an air vent - then tape some paper over the vent to see if ...
Indian Meal Moths are Persistant10/11/2009
  Q: Two weeks ago, when I saw a larvae in the crease of the living room wall and ceiling, I decided the ...
  A: Since each female lays between 100-400 eggs, and it takes the larvae anywhere from about 2 weeks to ...
Do I have termites?9/16/2009
  Q: I found about a dozen termites flying around a lamp. I called a pest control company and they ...
  A: There are two major types of termites - subterranean and drywood. The more common is the ...
WASPS.9/14/2009
  Q: ) so my problem is that theres this crack in my brick wall out side my house just by the door and ...
  A: I'm all for live and let live as long as no human gets hurt or sick because of an insect pest. ...
mice in van9/11/2009
  Q: I discovered mice in my van last week. We set snap traps baited with peanut butter and caught two ...
  A: A week to 10 day without any signs of activity suggests that the original problem is likely ...
moths9/11/2009
  Q: In the Fall of 2008 I discovered my first ever pantry moths infestation. There were moths, larvae, ...
  A: It's imperative that we know what species of moth is in your home. There can be several other types ...
mice9/9/2009
  Q: We live in an old (1855) house in the suburbs of STL and have been dealing with mice on and off for ...
  A: With what you've already done (sanitation, access points sealed, etc.), I can't think of any other ...
fleas9/3/2009
  Q: We have been trying to get of fleas in a vacant apartment. There is no carpet inside its all ...
  A: Fleas often are difficult to eradicate for a couple of reasons. They go through a complete ...
follow up8/31/2009
  Q: I recently wrote to you about some issues I was having with lizards around my property. I tried ...
  A: I'm sorry. I've gone through all my responses and do not find anything from you in the past. Perhaps ...
Tiny caterpillars in my house8/30/2009
  Q: Primarily on my kitchen walls, we have found these tiny caterpillars, a dozen of them in the last ...
  A: The caterpillar-like critters are most likely the immature larval stage of some type of fly, moth or ...
rodent droppings8/20/2009
  Q: I recently bought a house that had been infested by rats while empty. The rodents were eliminated ...
  A: You are correct in that the virus is only viable for a few days - so if you are absolutely sure you ...
flying ants8/18/2009
  Q: I live in the White Mtns. of NE AZ. About 6 weeks ago I encountered a "swarm" of flying ants on my ...
  A: I'm not sure who you directed your question to originally, but I retrieved it from a pool of ...
Housefly infestation but no logical source!8/17/2009
  Q: I sincerely hope you can help me. Here's the situation: My husband and I live in a relatively old ...
  A: The faint odor some time ago, along with the current fly infestation, tells us that something died - ...
Dust Mites8/11/2009
  Q: We have dust mites problems my mother wants to use a bug fogger or bug bomb will this work or is ...
  A: Bug bombs, foggers, etc. will harm your pets. Mites are oftentimes associated with birds and the ...
insects8/5/2009
  Q: I just moved into a new development 3 months ago, all of a sudden I start seeing these brownish-red ...
  A: There are several species of insects that breed in drains. The entire group is referred to as "drain ...
Question on mouse or spider or maybe even roach dropping8/4/2009
  Q: We never saw any signs of a rodent except seeing him run across the kitchen. We also seem to have a ...
  A: Sorry it's taken me so long to get back with you. Had some issues with my E-mail - resolved now... ...
Rodents in the attic8/3/2009
  Q: How do I go about getting rid of rodents in my attic. My daughter hears them at night above her ...
  A: First step is to be certain of what kind of critter is up there. Someone needs to go up to the attic ...
Identification of feces7/31/2009
  Q: I have been having an issue with some sort of pest that lives in or around my lower cabinets. All I ...
  A: Most of time, mouse droppings are tapered on one end, but not always. Gnawed foodstuff and droppings ...
Dead squirrel in wall/maggots in home7/29/2009
  Q: I live in the top story of an apartment and had a squirrel problem in the beginning of the summer, ...
  A: Ask maintenance to seal up the crack under the mouldings. If the maggots can't get into your unit, ...
bugs in window screen guides7/26/2009
  Q: I have bugs that gestate in the guides for my window screens every year. They grow inside cocoon ...
  A: I would like to help you, but the first step is to determine what critter is bothering you. ...
confused7/18/2009
  Q: ok so here is what happened. i am staying with my mom in florida and my worst fear came true, ...
  A: There are two major issues here: (1) the erroneous information you have received about boric acid; ...
Brown House Moth7/9/2009
  Q: For many months now, maybe since around Christmas, I have had a problem with what I think are brown ...
  A: Help is here... Your problem is a common one, involving some type of "stored product pest". Likely ...
Single Cockroach?7/9/2009
  Q: It's 2:14am where I am and it just took me 30 minutes to kill a 2-inch long cockroach (not including ...
  A: The saying about seeing one and having hundreds refers to german roaches. They are much smaller than ...
Noises in the wall7/7/2009
  Q: I have a four year old new construction home. About 6-8 months after we first moved in I had to ...
  A: Noises in the walls can be lots of things, from pests such as ants and rodents, to simply a tree ...
mice6/25/2009
  Q: I have a mice problem in my wall/attic. Is it to have metal flashing put along the roof gutter ...
  A: I don't know exactly what you are talking about when you say ..."all of the other things". But I ...
mouse5/26/2009
  Q: about 2 years ago I caught several mice in my house. I searched the entire perimeter of my house ...
  A: As to your concern about an electrical fire - Although it's very rare, there is a small chance that ...
Bird Mites Infestation!5/23/2009
  Q: I have an infestation of bird mites in my bedroom - they've been in evidence everywhere - walls, ...
  A: Well, they could be living on the parrot as their host, but why then would they leave it? I'd say ...
i.d. of feces5/21/2009
  Q: cannot i.d. feces in basement of lakeside home. 3 inches long, as narrow as a pencil lead. Black, ...
  A: I do not recognize the material you are describing, but I can tell you that it is not the fecal ...
black widow5/17/2009
  Q: ok, i know i'm going to sound paranoid, but when i went down to my basement today i swear to god i ...
  A: You don't sound paranoid at all. Black widows are indeed poisonous, and their neurotoxic venom is ...
Carpenter Ants5/12/2009
  Q: I followed one under the wood paneling on the side of the garage. When I pulled off the panel I saw ...
  A: A dust insecticide will destroy ants for sure, but the key to totally ridding yourself of this ...
roaches5/7/2009
  Q: IF you look at animals such as shrimp, lobsters, crayfish, crabs, scorpions, cockroaches, etc they ...
  A: In Florida where I live, we have about 55 different species of roaches. All but one of them lives ...
wood damaging insects4/25/2009
  Q: I plan on using logs (2ft.-6ft.) placed on top of or burried just in the ground, in my yard and ...
  A: Sorry for the late response, apparently never got the Email notification of your question... The ...
unknown insect4/10/2009
  Q: what kind of bug looks like a caterpillar with legs like a spider about 15 per side and has antennas ...
  A: I can't be certain without seeing the critter, but your description sounds like a house centipede. ...
Rid of Water bugs4/5/2009
  Q: I think they are water bugs, they look like very large roaches. They come through the sinks in my ...
  A: If they are coming up from the drains, they are probably American roaches that live in the sewer ...
Weird Bug?3/12/2009
  Q: We have this bug that we always find these small little bugs hanging from our walls. We first ...
  A: Unfortunately I'd need more data to identify the critter. It may be the immature stage of life of ...
tunnels3/4/2009
  Q: We just bought a 30 year old house in phoenix az and we did have the termite inspection done by ...
  A: Very wise move on your part to be concerned about this. Termites can be a very insidious threat to ...
Termite Bond2/25/2009
  Q: I live in far west Florida on the AL boarder. My wood frame home over slab with brick vener was ...
  A: There's a couple of things in your message that stand out. First, what are they doing when they ...
Can roaches spread from Grandmas apartment to our house from her dog?1/14/2009
  Q: My mother is having a roach problem in her apartment. She is having it sprayed today and she and ...
  A: Yes, roaches can hitchhike into your home via your Mother's purse, clothing, etc. I doubt the dog ...
gnats in the house12/29/2008
  Q: I live in Las Vegas, where its damn cold right now. However I notice tiny gnats flying about as ...
  A: In order to get rid of them, we need to find the area in the house in which they are breeding. ...
Termite bait station vs chemical barriers12/16/2008
  Q: Mr. Serdes, I bought a new (construction) house last December. On my agent's assistance, the ...
  A: There are several different bait systems on the market and a wide variety of different types of ...
Termites and Ants11/18/2008
  Q: I am in Michigan and wondering if you can help us educate ourselves on the best approach to treating ...
  A: .. 1) The company disparaging "chemicals" gets low marks in my book because their baits are also ...
what climate are the german cockroaches found in11/15/2008
  Q: My family moved up to Oregon in the beginning of June from Arizona. While we lived in Arizona we ...
  A: When you stop and think about it, the roaches haven't really changed their environment all that ...
Phorid flies11/13/2008
  Q: We have an invasion of phorid flies in a commercial strip center. Pest control people immediately ...
  A: Phorid flies breed in rotting materials. So, although they could be breeding in the dirt ...
flys (massive) on one bedroom window11/5/2008
  Q: I can sweep up the window sill of all flies (almost black with that many filling it) and the next ...
  A: The actions of this pest suggest cluster flies, but your description of them being smaller than ...
"UFIs"10/16/2008
  Q: Hey George, I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and ever since the hurricane (Gustav) I have had these ...
  A: The secret to getting rid of UFIs is to make them IFIs (Identified flying insects). A couple of ...
Phorid Flies10/13/2008
  Q: Florida and moved into a condo about 3 years ago. Each summer, our condo is infested with phorid ...
  A: Phorid flies breed anywhere moisture and organic material are allowed to stay in contact long enough ...
wasps in return air vent10/12/2008
  Q: We live in Western PA. We have just obseved several wasps come out of our return air vent which runs ...
  A: Getting rid of them is going to depend on a couple of things. First thing is what kind of wasps are ...
Insects ?in log house walls10/10/2008
  Q: We hear bug chewing sounds in the logs of our log cabin. We hear this at night and can identify the ...
  A: There are several species of wood destroying insects (the larval stage of old house borers and ...
Fruit flies10/9/2008
  Q: I wrote you last night with a fruit fly problem but...we finally found our source this morning!!!! ...
  A: Super news Jennifer, The biggest part of solving a flying insect problem is identifying the ...
killing rats10/6/2008
  Q: I live in landers, ca and have a bad rat problem. I have tried snap traps but our rats seem to be ...
  A: As long as your "other animals" don't eat the poisoned rats you needn't fear secondary poisoning. ...
new pest.....9/26/2008
  Q: I contacted you before about a lovely gnat problem. Well.. now I have moths. Before I moved, we ...
  A: The critters definitely sound like stored product pests - might be either Indianmeal moths or ...
Termite problem?9/24/2008
  Q: I found some 3 winged termites in and around the house in the last week or so. Don't recall having ...
  A: First, are you sure they are termites and not winged ants? If possible, keep specimens in some ...
GNATS! GNATS! GNAAAAAATS!9/18/2008
  Q: I have GNATS. IN MY HOUSE. EVERYWHERE. *scream* Mostly around the cat's litter box and mostly ...
  A: Where did they come from? Mother Nature...obviously a pregnant one got in the house, found a spot ...
tiny reddish brown gnat like things9/16/2008
  Q: My bathroom was all of a sudden full of very tiny reddish brown gnat or fruit fly like things. They ...
  A: The first step in getting rid of them is determining what they are... I would need more details to ...
noisey vibration in wall9/13/2008
  Q: George. After a good deal of renovation, I moved into a small home in Dallas. I immediately noticed ...
  A: I've investigated a number of cases of "noises in walls". The solutions have ranged from rodents to ...
bee nest9/9/2008
  Q: is there a bomb that wont put off heat (I don't want to start a fire). Or what else can you ...
  A: "Bombs" simply release a non-residual insecticide into the air. As it floats back to the ground it ...
bedbugs8/31/2008
  Q: can vinager kill bedbugs?
  A: If you submerged a bedbug in vinegar, it would drown. But as far as spraying vinegar on them, there ...
ants in my attic8/30/2008
  Q: Crawling up the block side, under the aluminum facia siding and into the attic and back out again ...
  A: Carpenter ants will indeed appropriate termite galleries for their own use. And they will enlarge ...
pesticide as a suspension in air8/29/2008
  Q: i am from ontario canada.my questions is this,when anyone who does a pesticide as a suspension in ...
  A: You will need to speak with a local authority in Ontario about the pesticide laws in your area. I ...
mice8/28/2008
  Q: i have no problem with mice in the basement in winter. i know that it's the common problem in New ...
  A: I'm sorry, but the first few sentences of your inquiry are confusing. Are you saying you do not mind ...
Cockroaches8/25/2008
  Q: Serdes! I have a question about how to stop cockroaches. There are hundreds of cockroaches in our ...
  A: My dear Sunagn, First, stop spraying. It appears you are dealing with a German roach problem, and ...
Lyctus Powderpost Beetles8/23/2008
  Q: I have Lyctus Powderpost beetles eating my hardwood floors ( oak ) These have been positively ...
  A: Before I get to your questions, here's some general info about your problem. Lyctids attack the ...
learning the trade8/23/2008
  Q: is there a book that i can buy,that will show me what the pest look like and there name?i do not ...
  A: There are tons of books available about the subject of entomology, but since you entitled the ...
Roaches near the tub8/22/2008
  Q: I live in NYC in a brownstone apartment. I recently moved in and found 2 large dead cockroaches ...
  A: Sorry for the delay John, Been busy with tropical storm Fay-related issues down here in Florida. ...
Termites Behind Fireplace8/12/2008
  Q: Hey, We have termite tunnels coming out from behind the mantel of our fireplace. We have a wood ...
  A: Here's the thing Andrew, those termite tubes you're seeing are the tip of an iceberg. Why the ...
flying ants in house8/9/2008
  Q: house was tented with vikane gas for drywood termites a week ago. i am now noticing more and more ...
  A: Absolutely the Vikane would have killed ANYTHING - so not sure what's up with these critters. Here's ...
Ant Spray8/1/2008
  Q: indoor ant spray. The ingredients are Tetramethrin, Permethrin, and Piperonyl Buitoxide. ...
  A: No solvent is necessary. Soap (detergent)and water and a bit of elbow grease is all you need. The ...
mice in house7/28/2008
  Q: One of the other experts answered my original post, and his response was helpful;however, he is no ...
  A: Mice only need a 1/4" opening to get into your home, and with a crawl space, it can be difficult to ...
killer cicada wasps7/25/2008
  Q: I see that you have said not to kill these wasps. we have small children as well as I am highly ...
  A: I fully understand your concern about stings. However, you have little chance of being stung by ...
Ants in the fireplace7/23/2008
  Q: I have ants coming into my living room from behind my gas fire, i have had the council in but he ...
  A: The key is to figure out why the ants are coming into your home. The way ants work is that they send ...
bee's on my wood privacy fence7/21/2008
  Q: I have a patio 4 foot wide by 20 foot long next to my brick house,it is surrounded by 6 foot privacy ...
  A: Sorry to hear you and your dog have been stung. Never a pleasant thing, so hope it doesn't happen ...
german roaches7/7/2008
  Q: I just bought 2 acres and under each large oak tree (9) there is an infestation of roaches. I have ...
  A: Hey Chuck, You've entitled this query as "geman roaches" - but that's probably NOT the issue. More ...
wages7/5/2008
  Q: what kind of wages can a person make doing pest control/ greg
  A: Hey Greg, A few companies - mostly the small sole proprietors - pay hourly rates. These rates are ...
Termite treatment6/23/2008
  Q: I live in a 1400 square foot cedar siding home on a monolithic concrete slab. (whew) I have evidence ...
  A: If I were doing it myself, and only had the two choices you are considering, I'd go with the ...
Termite Bond6/4/2008
  Q: I live in Cent Fla, we have had a annual bond with Massey for 5 years (2003 home was built) single ...
  A: Hey Mike, Short answer is... Keep the Bond active. It may even cost you more than $200.00 - but my ...
Mice5/30/2008
  Q: I am wondering if there is some type of a pesticide we can spray or sprinkle around the outside of ...
  A: Sorry, but there isn't any repellent material available to keep mice away. But, in most cases, it ...
Apartment building mice5/27/2008
  Q: I live in an 80-year old apartment building in New York City. While the building has regular ...
  A: There isn't any natural solution to excluding mice. The only way to keep them out is to seal up or ...
do rats come back?5/24/2008
  Q: my question concerns why/how rats will re-infest an area that had been priorly cleaned and/or ridded ...
  A: Yes, it often happens that rats come back into areas of prior infestation. Sometimes it's not even a ...
Wood bore issues5/20/2008
  Q: I have a 4-stall, 2-story garage built in the 70's. The central squareish support beam was taken ...
  A: Boy, I wish we had something like what you describe - but unfortunately... We ARE seeing some ...
Little clear wings on the ground?5/19/2008
  Q: I just walked into my basement and noticed that there are hundreds of little clear wings on the ...
  A: John, This sounds like a typical sign of a termite swarm. A termite swarm is a sign of termite ...
Major Fruit Fly/Drain Fly problem5/14/2008
  Q: We have a serious fruit fly and drain fly problem. We live outside of Boston, MA. This had been ...
  A: I'm recovering from a pulled muscle so I can't sit at my computer very long. Let me give you a ...
Rat sighting in the daylight hours5/13/2008
  Q: I have lived in an apartment complex fro almost 4 years now and for the first time I saw a large rat ...
  A: Both of our major rat species (roof rats and Norway rats) tend to have nocturnal habits - so it's ...
Pin holes in sheetrock and wood shavings on the floor5/4/2008
  Q: In a corner of the house I found a inch high pile of wood shavings and a dozen pinholes in the ...
  A: Dick, There are several possibilities, ranging from carpenter ants, through wood boring beetle ...
centipede invasion4/23/2008
  Q: We moved into a house that has been vacant for several years. We have part crawl space and part ...
  A: Gloria, Centipedes feed on critters that are often found in damp places, so centipedes themselves ...

All Questions in This Category

Pest Control

George E Serdes

Top Expert on this page