Pest Control/Questions Answered by Expert Jack DeAngelis

SubjectDate Asked
bed bugs preferences?3/21/2017
  Q: i want to ask if bed bugs prefer certain people over others. i go to my boyfriend's family's ...
  A: Amber, People differ in how much they react to bed bug bites so you may be especially sensitive. ...
Wasps3/20/2017
  Q: We live in southeastern Nebraska and we have always had wasps around. We moved about 3 years ago to ...
  A: Erin, Can you describe the nests you are finding, or better yet post a photo? Are the nests ...
Fleas3/14/2017
  Q: Do you know about fleas? Specifically, why they bit some people and not others. I have a flea ...
  A: Joyce, Two different things may affect getting flea bites. Some people are naturally more ...
Carpet beetles issue3/12/2017
  Q: I live in a small flat in the UK. About a month ago I noticed some small varied carpet beetles (been ...
  A: Mus, No need to be overly anxious about carpet beetles as they are completely harmless. However, it ...
worms or larvae ?1/1/2017
  Q: I found these worms-like on my apartment floor,They are brown around 1 to -1.5 cm long (0.39-0.59 ...
  A: May, This is the larval stage of a beetle. Unfortunately at this stage they can be very difficult ...
Tiny house bug12/29/2016
  Q: Hey there! I have found roughly 20 of these in total, mostly dead, within the basement level room if ...
  A: Shelby, This is a weevil (beetle) that infests seeds and grains. Normally when they occur in homes ...
Roach11/15/2016
  Q: I live in a single family home in rural South Carolina. I have never had an issue with roaches ...
  A: Sherri, The best option in this case is cockroach baits (see ...
german cockroaches in condo10/24/2016
  Q: On bed rest on my first day home from surgery in August, someone had some flowers sent to me that I ...
  A: Cecillia, Cockroaches are very common in apartment buildings and attached condos (see ...
Identification of Egg10/20/2016
  Q: I recently found a yellow egg in my bed that is identical to the ones in these pictures sent to Mr. ...
  A: John, I agree with Ed that the image in that question is not related to bed bugs, see ...
Attic Vent Protection Systems9/8/2016
  Q: Aloha from Hawaii. We are most recently dealing with a been infestation in the attic of a ...
  A: Tom, I assume you are talking about soffit vents. Why not purchase plastic screen vents that fit in ...
Termite Bait Systems9/2/2016
  Q: For the past 2 years I have had the Advance Termite Bait system (9 stations at approx 20 ft ...
  A: Edward, The Sentricon label I have calls for service every 2-6 weeks, not once a year. I think this ...
Flies and beetles coming from bathtub drain and possibly from walls as well?8/24/2016
  Q: The bathroom is situated on an outside wall of the house, so the shower wall is also the exterior ...
  A: JC, I think these are both phorid flies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoridae and ...
Indian moth moths-can't find source8/17/2016
  Q: . Wondering if you could please help. Back in June 2013, I brought some perfume boxes home from my ...
  A: Linda, Once Indian meal moth becomes established they can be very difficult to completely eliminate ...
Wasps in Basement8/15/2016
  Q: Over the past month, we noticed many wasps coming & going from a certain spot on our front porch. My ...
  A: Allison, If the initial treatment included sealing the nest's entrance hole that would explain why ...
Roaches/Harris tablets or borax8/9/2016
  Q: I am not convinced. When you spray a roach with an insecticide, you see it die. There are tons of ...
  A: I don't have any references handy re: boric acid as insect control but it is generally accepted to ...
bed bugs7/18/2016
  Q: Is this a bed bug? I've found three in almost two weeks and am becoming concerned.
  A: Heaven, No, this is are carpet beetle. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/bed_bug.html for a bed ...
tinie tiny white bug7/13/2016
  Q: Since April only in my Son's bedroom he his getting bit at night. He went on a trip to St.Louis so I ...
  A: Linda, The small white bug sounds like a mold mite (see ...
Moths7/10/2016
  Q: We realized (last summer) the moths flying in our living area were pantry moths....a vigorous clean ...
  A: Angie, First, I think you are confusing meal moths (pantry moths) with clothes moths, the two are ...
Termites7/1/2016
  Q: I just read a thread from 2011 where you commented; hoping you can help! I rent a home on ...
  A: Jennifer, If you examine the droppings with a magnifying glass do they appear to have ridges? A ...
What type of bird mite is this?6/30/2016
  Q: A few days ago I started to find bird mites around my window, on my walls and on my bed. Since then ...
  A: Bekka, This looks more like a clover mite (http://www.livingwithbugs.com/clover_mite.html) than a ...
bug identification question.6/25/2016
  Q: I found this bug crawling on my pillow case. I am not sure what kind of bug it is and im hoping it ...
  A: Izzy, Not a bed bug. This is a carpet beetle, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html ...
Roaches and borax6/1/2016
  Q: Curious about this. I trapped some baby roaches and a roach pill in a coffee can. Left it ...
  A: The roaches must eat the tablets to work and overnight might not be long enough. Try adding a source ...
Unknown bug5/31/2016
  Q: In the past couple months, my daughter's recently built home in Texas has become infested with what ...
  A: Ed, Can you get a photo? Otherwise capture a few into alcohol using a damp cotton swab. Take the ...
Is this a bedbug?5/27/2016
  Q: I have found this small brown bug in my bedroom. I am not sure is you are able to see this close ...
  A: David, No, this is a carpet beetle. For comparison, this is a bed bug ...
Boric acid and insects5/25/2016
  Q: Two questions for you: -After a roach has eaten something laced with boric acid, how many minutes, ...
  A: Art, This question is a lot more complicated than it might appear. There are lots of factors that ...
Wasps getting into house5/23/2016
  Q: I found a wasp on my dinette window today,and when I looked in the basement,there were two bees on ...
  A: Michael, Rather than trying to get in I think these wasps may be trying to get out. Reproductive ...
Hornet Nest5/22/2016
  Q: What eats a hornet nest and hornets? The hornet nests on my property seem to get destroyed and the ...
  A: Patti, Birds will often do this with nests that are high like yours and skunks will destroy ground ...
Black/Grey Mites5/16/2016
  Q: The last month we've had a mite problem or at least we think they are mites. There are hundreds ...
  A: Carrie, I can't see enough detail to id. Your best option is to collect a few into alcohol using a ...
Termites5/15/2016
  Q: While standing outside today I noticed two winged insects kind of floating in the air. One landed on ...
  A: Sherri, Finding a few winged termites, or even many, is no reason for concern. Most will have come ...
Roaches + Apartment Living5/11/2016
  Q: Hey Jack! My boyfriend and I have been living in NYC for two years and are currently hunting for an ...
  A: Lindsay, Living in an older building in a big city there's probably no way to avoid cockroaches ...
Flat bugs that fly.5/4/2016
  Q: I have used a pest control company and still cannot get rid of them. They seem to be coming from my ...
  A: Yes, hopefully. These are called plaster bagworms, the larvae of a type of clothes moth. The adult ...
Tiny black bugs5/3/2016
  Q: I hope you can help. I've noticed that in one bathroom and my bed there is tiny black bug ...
  A: Carrie, These sound like springtails (Collembola), see ...
termite inspection4/22/2016
  Q: About how long should an annual termite inspection take? My 1700 square foot house is 25 years old ...
  A: Jo, A thorough inspection should take much longer (say 1-2 hrs) than this but it depends on how ...
Finding bug/termite droppings can you help identify please.4/15/2016
  Q: I live in North Dakota and recently found some small black dropping in our kitchen cupboard and ...
  A: Ilana, These particles are not from termites and I think your second guess is the correct one, ...
Found brown bug4/12/2016
  Q: Found this brown bug with black spots and black head under my Ottoman in my foyer. Only found one ...
  A: Nathan, This is a beetle but I can't see enough detail to id further. It could be one of the carpet ...
Rat Mite Infestation4/6/2016
  Q: Since January 2016, we've been experiencing mysterious bites, espeically on my 5 year old. The ...
  A: Akiko, You are on the right track, the most important step is to remove the animals and the nests. ...
Termites3/8/2016
  Q: We have termites (not ground type) in our oven area and second floor bedroom. Do you recommend we ...
  A: Carrie, As you know termites can be very serious structural pests in warm tropical regions like ...
Rodent Mites1/24/2016
  Q: I recently sat on a park bench for many hours, unaware there were either mice or rats present until ...
  A: Lisa, It is very unlikely that you would be exposed to rodent mites this way (see ...
Tiny biting bug and small ugly bug.1/7/2016
  Q: I found these tiny black biting bugs with wings & they have like a curly long hair attached to them ...
  A: April, The first image looks like a small fly, possibly a psychodid (moth fly). I can't see enough ...
Millipede menace1/1/2016
  Q: In our township, most houses have the problem of millipede. They invade into houses from nearby ...
  A: Millipedes generally only enter homes when the outside soil is either too dry or too wet. Once ...
Tiny flies or gnats in house12/23/2015
  Q: I noticed a cluster of tiny flies or gnats around my Eucerin body cream pump in the bath, and also ...
  A: I still can't see a lot of detail but I don't think these are flies at all. I think they are winged ...
Carpet beetles?12/16/2015
  Q: we bought a house last year that had been vacant for over two years and we've been having a heck of ...
  A: April, I don't see anything in these two photos that I can clearly id as a carpet beetle, see ...
holes in clothes11/18/2015
  Q: ,i am having a disaster,i found holes in clothes,specificly the cotton only,,all t-shirts,under ...
  A: Haidy, Can you post a picture of the holes in the clothes? Since there are no insects that ...
Bedbug bites.11/4/2015
  Q: I wakeup in the morning with bedbug bites.How can I get rid of them?Thank you! ANSWER: Randy, Bed ...
  A: Here's a list of sprays and dusts that should be effective for bed bugs, ...
Small insect10/26/2015
  Q: I'm hoping you can help me out with a question. We're starting to find a small, caterpillar-like ...
  A: Robert, This is a carpet beetle larva, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for ...
Bugs in house10/24/2015
  Q: I recently have had a problem in my house with tiny brown bugs. They seem like fleas but do not ...
  A: Kris, I don't see any photos but from your description these sound like carpet beetles (adults and ...
What are these bugs?? Urgent, newborn in home...10/23/2015
  Q: I have been finding these small brown bugs crawling on my walls (I saw around 10 today). I have a ...
  A: This is a beetle but there's a lot of damage. However, it looks like one of the species that infest ...
Black bugs in house10/18/2015
  Q: We recently started seeing these bugs, especially on our windowsill. I have now also found them in ...
  A: Kim, This is a weevil, probably one of the seed or grain weevils. There are a number of species ...
Bugs in house10/15/2015
  A: Kris, The larva is a carpet beetle larva, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for ...
pantry moths9/15/2015
  Q: We had a minor problem with pantry moths that's gotten worse due to an infested bag of SWheat Scoop ...
  A: Theo, Keep in mind that the traps will only catch male moths so the real trick is to locate and ...
Possible mite bite9/14/2015
  Q: I had little bites on my back that had little black splinters in the middle. My boyfriend used ...
  A: Nicole, There are no insects or mites that do this. There's an insect called a thrips that is ...
Western-spotted Orb Weavers9/9/2015
  Q: I work at a wastewater treatment plant, and we are inundated by orb weavers [which were identified ...
  A: Andrew, Massive spider "outbreaks" and webbing are common at waster-water treatment facilities ...
Mystery bugs in bedroom!!9/4/2015
  Q: I hope that this note finds you well. I was wondering if you could help identify the bugs I have ...
  A: Sarah, These are not bed bugs but the images are a bit too small to be certain of an exact id. They ...
bed bug help8/7/2015
  Q: I came home after a day out and saw a flattened adult bed bug on my kitchen floor. I am in a state ...
  A: Lisa, Can you post a picture of the bug you found? I'd like to confirm that it is a bed bug since ...
Wasps8/2/2015
  Q: I live in an apartment building. I am on a low floor. Five days ago my mom spotted a wasp on the ...
  A: Debbie, It is not uncommon for wasps to get inside in late summer and early fall, nests are at ...
Rat lice infestation of house7/19/2015
  Q: I baited rats in the ceiling in January this year and have had lice scooting around my body for ...
  A: Donna, I think you are referring to rat mites, not lice (see ...
Bird Mite Infestation7/3/2015
  Q: I've just "emerged" from battling bird mites for over a month. I am hoping that it's all over now. ...
  A: Mary, I agree there is a lot of misinformation and hype about the so called bird mites around. We ...
bug identification7/2/2015
  Q: I recently returned home from a vacation at Ocean City, MD. I was there in a hotel for a week and ...
  A: Erika, There are no insects or mites that exactly match your description. The only mites that ...
Bug identification7/1/2015
  Q: I have a particular bug that I have found in my home (michigan) and on the outside walls and windows ...
  A: This is a called a springtail or colembola, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/springtails.html for a ...
White mould mites5/15/2015
  Q: I have been ill for 2yr, bronchitis,asthma,covered in poison body lesions, panic attacks,sinusitis ...
  A: Carol, Mold mites (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/mold_mites.html for more about these mites) ...
wasps in winter4/10/2015
  Q: For the last few weeks we have seen a few wasps in the house (5 total). Only one was flying, the ...
  A: Kristin, You are probably correct, these are paper wasps coming out of winter dormancy. They won't ...
wood roach or oriental cockroach?4/2/2015
  Q: 3 years ago I found a dead insect in the bathtub, I took a picture which I will share below. The ...
  A: Krista, Since baiting for these cockroaches is fairly easy the best option is probably to go ahead ...
Termite3/27/2015
  Q: I live in a 3,000 + square foot home, built in around 1920 in Southwest Florida. It was just ...
  A: Norman, Did you mean drywood termite? The tent and fumigate treatment for drywood termites is ...
What to use to inject chemical into drywall to kill termite?3/25/2015
  Q: I just bought a bottle of termidor and going to treat subterranean termite in my bathroom base trim ...
  A: Will, This type of treatment is normally done with a foam insecticide that is applied through an ...
Is bug a danger to my home3/16/2015
  Q: I recently become a first time home owner, prior to this I rented. Therefore until now I haven't ...
  A: Johan, These are called collembola or springtails (see ...
Problem material2/27/2015
  Q: We are in the process of completing an extensive remodel of the basement of our 50 year old home in ...
  A: The material is too course to be powderpost beetles and too heterogeneous to be drywood termites (I ...
Black ants in house1/26/2015
  Q: We live in Fallston Md and are seeing black ants in our house one at a time at least two aday never ...
  A: Paula, The best way to pinpoint the location of an infestation is with baits. Put several bait ...
Odorous House Ants under slab1/5/2015
  Q: You posted several answers to someone a few years ago that was complaining about Odorous House Ants ...
  A: Jeff, I don't recall this question specifically but applications can fail for a number of reasons. ...
Unidentifiable insect found in my room.12/27/2014
  Q: Noticed a shadow on my blinds during the day time. Looked over at the other side and saw these ...
  A: Excellent photo. These are newly hatched true bugs (Hemiptera), possibly one of the leaf-footed bug ...
powderpost beetles in new bamboo floor12/10/2014
  Q: I live in Philadelphia, PA. Two and a half years ago I bought a 100 yr old row-house that has been ...
  A: Giuseppe, I think these are old (inactive) emergence holes or possibly not emergence holes at all ...
Transmiting birdmites to others11/26/2014
  Q: What can I do to prevent taking bird mites to my family members( premie baby and 2 yr old) when I ...
  A: Linda, There's very little chance that bird mites (see ...
car infested with fleas11/21/2014
  Q: I have a flea infestation in my car and i can't get rid of it. i can't find any pesticides ...
  A: Joseph, If you can heat the interior to about 60 deg C for a few hours that will kill everything, ...
Small Brown Bugs crawling on wall, floor and sofa11/17/2014
  Q: I have been seeing those small brown tiny bugs all over my sofa and living room floor, they started ...
  A: Much better picture. Looks like either the drugstore beetle or the closely related cigarette beetle ...
Little white bugs.11/16/2014
  Q: We have these little white bugs and they sound like what you have decribed as mold mites but the ate ...
  A: Trish, Mold or grain mites are the only mites that would be described this way, and you are correct ...
Are these insect eggs?11/12/2014
  Q: I found what looks like grains of sand on the seat my baby's infant swing. My husband and I ...
  A: Kathy, I can't see them clearly enough to be certain but they don't look like insect eggs. Plus, I ...
wasps and muddobber11/5/2014
  Q: I have a camp up from a lake. my friend got stung the other nite and is alergect to bees etc. got ...
  A: Joe, The aerosol bombs won't work well in this case. The nest(s) is in the wall and the aerosol ...
Bees or wasps in basement11/1/2014
  Q: We have had a reoccurring problem in our unfinished basement now for two years and our management ...
  A: This is a wasp but it does not appear to be one of the social (nest building) vespids. I can't see ...
What Bug Is This?10/9/2014
  Q: I live in Ontario Canada. These bugs have been in my house for awhile now. I've usually seen them on ...
  A: Andrea, This is not a bed bug it is a beetle (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/bed_bug.html for ...
common household ant problem10/8/2014
  Q: we have a problem with the common black ant, not sugar or pharaoh or the other real small ones; this ...
  A: Nick, Not sure what you mean by "common black ant" as this is not a common name I'm familiar with. ...
Super tiny white bugs10/5/2014
  Q: i moved to signal hill, ca this past spring and wasn't until about a month after did I notice these ...
  A: Derek, I think your best option is to collect a few of the bugs in alcohol and take them to the LA ...
Unknown bugs10/2/2014
  Q: I found these bugs in the shower. They seem to have two antennas at the top of the frame. They are ...
  A: Mery, Because everything is matted together I'm having trouble seeing the details I need for an id. ...
Moths won't go away!9/30/2014
  Q: We started getting what we think are pantry moths (as per Terminix) in May 2013. They lasted until ...
  A: Marlene, Yes, these do appear to be Indian meal moth. This moth can be very difficult to control ...
Clothes Moth larva9/11/2014
  Q: I have had a problem with clothes moth larva outside on our screened in porch for about 3 yrs now. ...
  A: Those are called plaster bagworms (or household casebearer), a type of clothes moths. They are ...
HUMPBACK FLIES8/25/2014
  Q: I HAVE IDENTIFIED THESE FLIES FROM THE VEIN PATTERNS ON THE WINGS AND GENERAL DESCRIPTION ON MANY ...
  A: Mark, These flies develop in all sorts of decaying vegetable/plant material including the "gunk" ...
Wasp making noises in the roof edge8/2/2014
  Q: I just read this question post ("Wasps in roof void making strange noises"), and I think I have the ...
  A: Kevin, The wasps won't damage the roof, they have probably constructed a nest in a void space that ...
Flour Beetle and No-See-Ums?7/26/2014
  Q: We live in a new construction townhouse, which was never completely finished. There are gaps in the ...
  A: Krystal, Can you post a picture of the bugs because it is not clear from your description what you ...
Tan flat "sandy" marks on patio bugs?7/19/2014
  Q: It seems like (more so after a rain) I get these "sandy" flat tan "marks" on the inside roof of my ...
  A: Laura, I think these are moth eggs but I'm not 100% certain. Moths often lay their eggs in clumps ...
Unknown Spider7/13/2014
  Q: I keep finding these spiders dead throughout the house. What kind of spider is it?
  A: Marisa, There are several species of spiders that are common in homes and all look very similar. I ...
ant control7/11/2014
  Q: Jack, I have read many posts and have yet to see my problem, so let's try. I live in Michigan (north ...
  A: Lynwood, The ants probably are not harming the grass. They may in fact help the grass by aerating ...
Ash boror7/9/2014
  Q: I know theirs a lot of Ash trees dying out there. And my question is, Will all the Ash boror insects ...
  A: Jake, There are cases where a non-native species like the emerald ash borer completely eliminated ...
hardwood tree cut down7/7/2014
  Q: .last month a relative cut down a hardwood tree on my front lawn. then he took all the pieces of it ...
  A: James, As long as the wood is used in a year or so there's no problem. Termite colonies (see ...
worms7/6/2014
  Q: Can you identify this worm and tell me how it's getting in the house and how to get rid of them. I ...
  A: France, This is a larva of a beetle, the likely source is stored food such as grains, cereals and ...
Roaches7/5/2014
  Q: I just found a belly up roach in my living room. After looking online, I'm fairly certain it is a ...
  A: Sherri, It is true that when you find a cockroach it usually means there's more. But, this refers ...
Argentine ants7/1/2014
  Q: Like many San Diegans I am dealing with an annual summer attack of Argentine ants. As usual they are ...
  A: Theo, The new paste/gel baits will work much better than the stakes (see ...
What kind of mite is this?6/30/2014
  Q: Hoping you can tell me if this is a bird or a rodent mite. I can get more pictures. Thanks... ...
  A: The only way to get a species level id would be to mount the mites on a slide and examine under ...
Pantry moths6/16/2014
  Q: DeAngelis, I had an exterminator spray my apt with special care to the kitchen and bathrooms 4 days ...
  A: Mary, Unfortunately pesticides don't work well against meal/pantry moths. The best option is to ...
small brown flying beetle6/8/2014
  Q: I have been dealing with a tiny brown flying beetle that appears very similar to the cigar beetle or ...
  A: Bill, There are lots of different small brown beetles so without a picture I have to assume that ...
Cockroaches in vehicle5/25/2014
  Q: I really appreciate all of the experts help. I bought a vehicle from a junkyard that sells used ...
  A: Rachel, Baits are definitely better than sprays or "bombs", in fact bombs won't work well at all. ...
Newly renovated apartment and bird mites5/20/2014
  Q: One week ago I moved into a brand new apartment (Downey, CA)that was newly renovated, including new ...
  A: Amy, You are correct, the only source for bird mites (see ...
small black bugs in kitchen5/19/2014
  Q: I have these small black bugs in my kitchen, and had them last spring/summer as well. They don't ...
  A: CB, Looks like one of the carpet beetles (there are several species) and since they often infest ...
Carpenter Ants5/16/2014
  Q: I have had some carpenter ants in my home for several years. I have the exterminator come whenever I ...
  A: Jeff, I'm afraid the exterminator may be taking advantage of your "generosity". Carpenter ants are ...
Insect infestation5/9/2014
  Q: I recently killed off an ant infestation. Several weeks later a beetle like insect took over and ...
  A: Tracette, I can't see this clearly enough to id. However, it appears to be an immature true bug ...
Termites5/7/2014
  Q: I had a termite inspecion in the kitchen of my house and the guy couldn't find any evidence in the ...
  A: Mary, A couple of questions ... Is the floor collapsing because of termite damage? Where were ...
Biting midges in my screened patio5/4/2014
  Q: I live on a salt water canal off Tampa Bay. No-see-ums are a real problem in the area so I've had ...
  A: Gregg, Repellents containing DEET or picaridin are fairly effective as are "personal foggers" (see ...
Carpenter ants???4/29/2014
  Q: So, I started finding big black ants in my bedroom...I assume they are carpenter ants. I put Terro ...
  A: Pam, Unfortunately Terro-type baits don't work very well for carpenter ants, try the newer baits ...
Bed bug???3/29/2014
  Q: a year ago my building (I am a tenant) got infected by bed bugs. After professional treatment, I ...
  A: Jayson, Sorry but this does look like a bed bug, here's another pic ...
Kitchen Pests3/5/2014
  Q: I have a severe phobia of bugs. not spiders (although not really insects, I suppose), but anything ...
  A: Ashley, You are describing a carpet beetle and they are very common pests in homes. You are not ...
styroform worms1/21/2014
  Q: I have a 30 inch grade beam under my house. It has 2 inch styrofoam on the inside of the concrete ...
  A: Lloyd, I would guess carpenter ants as they will construct nests in insulation foam. Does the ...
Tiny Bugs In Kitchen Sink1/12/2014
  Q: Like a woman asked you before, I also have very tiny bugs that seem to love my white kitchen sink. I ...
  A: Could be one of the bird mites so take a look at this page ...
rat mites12/16/2013
  Q: I had a rat infestation that was solved by closing entry points to the house and trapping the rats. ...
  A: Pam, General cleaning and washing of clothing/bedding is the best treatment for these mites (see ...
wasp11/21/2013
  Q: I have been fighting wasp in my basement for a couple of weeks now, and I have no idea where they ...
  A: Richard, You might be dealing with one of the species that builds nests in association with heated ...
unknown bugs11/10/2013
  Q: I am having problem with these tiny bugs(I don't know it is bug or flea or mite or anything..).They ...
  A: Htwe, Yes, post a picture if possible. Your description could fit a number of different things. The ...
tiny white worms in sunflower seeds11/9/2013
  Q: Jack I buy black oil sunflower seeds for the wild birds. I store them in large glass jars. The ...
  A: Pat, These are probably meal moth larvae (moth) but could also be meal worm larvae (beetle). If you ...
Mites in the kitchen?11/7/2013
  Q: I have a problem with what I think are mites in my kitchen. I'm hoping that you might be able to ...
  A: Alan, These are called oribatid mites. They are very common in leaf litter, moss, and even in the ...
Hornets Indoors11/6/2013
  Q: I live in a NYC apartment building and during the last week or two I have seen @ 12 hornets inside ...
  A: Mary, As you point out these wasps will die with the cold weather so your best option may be to ...
Bed bug help?10/26/2013
  Q: I noticed a bed bug last night on my child's blocks in her room (just one). And, my wife noticed one ...
  A: Dustin, Are you certain that what you found was a bed bug? It would be very unusual to find bed ...
Roaches10/4/2013
  Q: We have lived in our house for about 2 years now, it was totally gutted and bombed before we moved ...
  A: Amber, The best way to control cockroaches is also the safest and it is less expensive than hiring ...
sugar ants9/30/2013
  Q: Help! I just don't know what to do anymore. I've tried the terra poisoning, I've laid out cinnamon ...
  A: Mary, The best way to control ants is with baits, not sprays. It sounds like your infestation is ...
Drywood Termite Swarm!9/25/2013
  Q: I really hope you can help me, been scouring the internet with no luck, just a few simple questions. ...
  A: These do sound like winged termites but there are several different species including drywoods. My ...
Serious infestion in backyard9/16/2013
  Q: We have a major infestion that makes our backyard unusable. We live in Tucson, AZ and had a small ...
  A: Shelly, The only thing that fits this description is springtails (see ...
Mites from Nest9/9/2013
  Q: First let me explain the history of the problem. In mid July my husband started getting little tiny ...
  A: Angie, I think what you are experiencing may have started with bird mites but is now something ...
Household pest in Corona Del Mar,CA9/8/2013
  Q: My name is Dan White and I have a growing pest issue. The pests, which we cannot identify, seem to ...
  A: Dan, This is a weevil, possibly a grain or seed weevil. These weevils infest whole grains like ...
tiny white/yellow mites9/5/2013
  Q: I have had this on going problem with mites from searching they appear to be mould mites very small ...
  A: Joanne, The mold mites (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/mold_mites.html for a picture) are also ...
Roaches9/3/2013
  Q: I've had a consistent problem with roaches--finding 1 or 2 a month, especially in warm weather after ...
  A: Ron, In warm climates like S. Cal. cockroaches can live outside but more often roaches are confined ...
flying lice8/25/2013
  Q: They are small and look like specks, I think they start off white then turn black once they get into ...
  A: Harsha, Lice don't have any wings so it must be something else. Here's a list of insects and mites ...
fleas fleas and ... sadly more fleas8/18/2013
  Q: So, part of our household went to Missouri over the summer when we came back our house was over run ...
  A: Jeannie, The best treatment for fleas is to first treat the host animals (your dogs in this case) ...
fleas in bathtub8/11/2013
  Q: I have a very similar problem to one posted by Lynn 5/23/2010- fleas in my bathroom and especially ...
  A: e, It is common for fleas to carry over from one tenant to the next in apartments if the previous ...
booklice on musical instrument!!8/9/2013
  Q: I sincerely hope you can help me, I live in a small flat in London UK and we have a problem with ...
  A: Jade, Since booklice feed on mold they usually indicate excess moisture. They won't damage your ...
silverfish7/30/2013
  Q: We have a house in San Diego maybe 5 miles from the Pacific. We've always seen quite a few spiders ...
  A: Theo, Silverfish are very common especially in damp climates. While they can damage paper it does ...
Refinishing an antique couch7/28/2013
  Q: I recently acquired an antique couch I intended to refinish. I was removing the upholstery when I ...
  A: Victoria, Where was the couch before you got it (city/state)? See the map on this page ...
foreign pesticide migration7/26/2013
  Q: I am really glad I found you to answer my question. A number of years ago my mother and father moved ...
  A: Catherine, The strong smell of older generation insecticides was often the "carrier" rather than ...
Paper Wasp Nest7/25/2013
  Q: I have a small paper wasp nest with visible cells about the diameter of a quarter hanging near my ...
  A: Bill, A small paper wasp nest can be safely knocked down as you describe. You can do it during the ...
Help!7/24/2013
  Q: Sacramento, CA There's this bug that recently has infested my bathroom. I haven't found it anywhere ...
  A: Susy, This is a beetle, possibly one of the so called "stored product beetles" such as the ...
bell hornets7/6/2013
  Q: i have a bell hornets nest under my porch, which is an enclosed area. they are coming and going ...
  A: David, This can be very difficult since you don't have access to the nest, to treat it directly, ...
Worm or caterpillar?6/30/2013
  Q: I live on the ground floor of my apartment building and have begun noticing these small, fuzzy worm ...
  A: Rachel, Can you get a closer more magnified image? I can't see much detail in the individual ...
ants6/28/2013
  Q: I have sugar ants in my family room. I have 3 kids and a dog, but we are very clean. No one eats ...
  A: Jill, Ants that invade houses often nest in the walls and ceiling rather than outside in the soil. ...
Bed bug??6/26/2013
  Q: "I saw this speck moving on the top of my bed. It is brownish, flat and tiny (1mm). Could this be a ...
  A: Jess, These are not bed bugs. These are called psocids or booklice (not related to true lice and do ...
Dirt Dauber Wasps6/23/2013
  Q: We have a front porch post that seems to attract dirt daubers. We have sprayed it numerous times & ...
  A: Gayle, I want to make sure we are talking about the same insects. Mud daubers (dirt daubers) are a ...
Bugs !!!!6/20/2013
  Q: I left some clothes on my floor for 2 weeks and when I went to put them away there were brown 2 cm ...
  A: I can't see a lot of detail but I think this is the larva of one of the dermestid beetles, possibly ...
Indoor insects6/19/2013
  Q: I was wondering if you could identify this bug for me it's an indoor bug attracted to light and it ...
  A: Emlea, The image is a little blurry but it looks like either a cigarette beetle or closely related ...
termites6/13/2013
  Q: I live on the top floor of a 3 story apartment complex and I've lived here for a few years. However ...
  A: Sharon, This does not sound like a normal termite situation. Take a look at these pages ...
How to determine competence of "exterminator"?6/11/2013
  Q: My parents' condo in South Florida has been infested with drywood termites since they moved in 15 ...
  A: Judith, What you describe is definitely not a "competent" treatment for drywood termites (see ...
Human fleas?6/7/2013
  Q: About 2 years ago my daughter had a friend spend the night. Unbeknownst to me, her family was ...
  A: Steph, Have you tried to capture any and get them identified? Use a damp cotton swab (Q-tip) to ...
spiders6/5/2013
  Q: ... So there are there little brown spiders that are about the size of a golden dollar... They keep ...
  A: Jeannie, The best way to eliminate any of the wandering-type spiders in homes is with sticky traps, ...
ant trap6/3/2013
  Q: I have put ant traps down for years and had the same thing happen last year but not in previous ...
  A: Shell, Can you post a picture of the ants? Also, take a look at this page ...
Tiny brown bugs5/31/2013
  Q: Everytime I go outside and sit for a bit I come in and there are these brown bugs crawling on my ...
  A: Ashley, I can't see any detail in the image but from your description they might be clover mites. ...
carpenter bees5/30/2013
  Q: My red cedar soffits are being drilled by carpenter bees. The 3rd floor in very high so difficult ...
  A: Jay, Unfortunately I don't think traps will be effective in this case, see ...
Termites/wool moths5/29/2013
  Q: We have BOTH termites and wool moths here in St Petersburg Florida. Will tenting for the termites ...
  A: Charlene, Tenting and fumigation for structural pests should kill all insects in the structure ...
Dead ants after exterimation5/20/2013
  Q: We had ants in the kitchen here and there, so an exterminator came to our house (which we bought in ...
  A: Ross, My guess is these originated from inside the house. The spraying seemed to be somewhat ...
Small Holes In Clothing5/17/2013
  Q: Recently my mom has been finding multiple holes in her clothing, she has a front loading washer ...
  A: Penny, Clothes moths are the "usual suspects" in insect-made holes in clothing. However, holes made ...
Could you identify this insect for me please?5/8/2013
  Q: I have seen several of this insect in my newly renovated room. I live very close to a mountain with ...
  A: Valerie, This looks like a beetle but I can't see enough detail to id further. Can you get a ...
Another Tropical Rat Mite Question5/7/2013
  Q: Six weeks ago, I moved into a 1940's four unit apartment, second floor. They had just tented the ...
  A: Janet, The mites that live in rodent and bird nests (bird mites/rodent mites/nest mites) can't live ...
suspicion of mites5/6/2013
  Q: Mr. DeAngelis, About 5 days ago, I was sitting in my living room and I smelled an awful, almost ...
  A: Joan, I'm guessing you are concerned about so called bird mites (also called nest mites, rodent ...
Tiny, Grey Bugs5/1/2013
  Q: I live in central Arkansas, and as of just recently (last night) I've been seeing tiny, grey insets ...
  A: Catherine, These could be mold mites, also called grain mites. These mites feed on mold and as such ...
Lavea4/30/2013
  Q: Can you tell me what these are they are all through my whole house and clothes and bedding even my ...
  A: Danielle, Can you describe these? What I see is a large fuzzy ball with some "specks" that seem to ...
Bug Identity?4/26/2013
  Q: Can you please identify the bug in these photos? It was found on a cream-colored chair near a window ...
  A: Benjamin, Some characteristics in this photo resemble mites but not the bird/rodent/nest mites (see ...
Small oval dark brown bug with jagged markings4/25/2013
  Q: Good afternoon, I found this bug this morning, i am unsure if it came off of me or if it was already ...
  A: Krista-lee, This is not a bed bug, it is a varied carpet beetle. See ...
just moved in, seeing bugs4/18/2013
  Q: it's very hard to see what they really look like. I did watch one as it crawled all the way across ...
  A: TSH, There are no pheromone traps for carpet beetles and most carpet beetle infestations are found ...
remedy for pigeon mite human infestation (D. Gallinae or simular)4/15/2013
  Q: DeAngelis When humans contract a bird mite infestation that causes hard, crusty, imflammd., ...
  A: Anthony, There are several mites that infest animal nests (rodents and birds) that will bite ...
Termites in bathtub4/14/2013
  Q: Mr. DeAngelis, Recently, on two separate occasions we have found hundreds of dead and a couple of ...
  A: Sharon, When you find large numbers of winged termites indoors it is probably an indication of an ...
termites4/11/2013
  Q: 1. In attic construction today, do construction materials repel and/or kill termites? 2. When ...
  A: Michael, Please limit your question to a single topic, many Experts here will reject multi-topic ...
Dark brown beetle infestation in our home4/8/2013
  Q: I am live in a 3 story townhouse and two weeks ago I started noticing dead beetles accumulating on ...
  A: Dave, The images are too fuzzy to be certain but the shape from the side view looks like a ...
Tiny dark bugs, dk brn w/ light speckles4/5/2013
  Q: I've lived in this part of S. Calif. for over 25 yrs and have never seen these. They appear to be ...
  A: Glenn, Normally with a question like this I'd say "please post a picture of your bug in a ...
small black bugs3/23/2013
  Q: there are small black bugs in my house. I've seen them since 3-4days ago, and I saw about 5 of them ...
  A: Stacy, Did you intend to send this to one of the other experts? These are grain weevils. The larvae ...
Drywood termite infestation Naples, Fl3/15/2013
  Q: I have extensive drywood termites in a five yr old kitchen in a condo in Naples. Today all wood is ...
  A: Anita, Like other social insects (ants, social wasps, termites) drywood termites need an intact ...
Unknown Brown Pellets3/10/2013
  Q: I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and I have noticed a pile of small (approx. 2mm diameter), light ...
  A: Bob, I think you are right that these are not drywood termite pellets nor are they eggs (too big). ...
crawling insects on me and daughter3/7/2013
  Q: My daughter and I have been having crawling bugs on us that we can't see. This started after we ...
  A: Bev, There are very few insects and mites that bite people but many things that can mimic bug ...
bug in my studio3/6/2013
  Q: I will attach a photo of the bugs. I kill one or two every night ... they or usually on the wall... ...
  A: Nedim, This is a silverfish or firebrat (see ...
Strange spots (insect feces?) keep appearing. What is it?2/19/2013
  Q: For a couple of weeks now I have been finding these clusters of dried spots around the floor in my ...
  A: Kyle, These could be from cockroaches. If you live in a multifamily apartment complex control can ...
small brown bugs on paper towels2/17/2013
  Q: What can be done to stop the arrival of more small (about the size of a flax seed, but a bit rounder ...
  A: Jo, I'd need to see a picture to be certain but these might be one of several species of dermestid ...
random beetles ON ME2/4/2013
  Q: There's drugstore beetles popping up on my soafas & light fixtures a few time on me! ! I really ...
  A: Jeanne, Drugstore beetles can be very common in homes and usually indicate an infestation in some ...
wood boring beetle1/31/2013
  Q: Jack, I have a finished oak dresser that is 10 years old. Over the past year, I have noticed mounds ...
  A: Gwen, Excellent photos. These are almost certainly exit holes from powderpost beetles. Oak ...
Unknown bug1/30/2013
  Q: We live in nothern Indiana. This fall/winter we have occassionally been finding this bug (picture ...
  A: If it looks like the insect in the photo at http://www.livingwithbugs.com/boxelder.html then it was ...
Mystery Bug1/21/2013
  Q: Good Afternoon Dr. DeAngelis...I hope you can help with a problem that is of real concern to me. My ...
  A: Jay, Can you post a photo? If not I can only suggest collecting a few and having them examined ...
DRAIN FLIES1/13/2013
  Q: I live in an apt. building and have a problem with drain flies that seem to congregate by the front ...
  A: Donna, I think it is too cold in NH at this time of the year for drain flies to survive outside. ...
Bites at nite1/8/2013
  Q: My daughter and I are getting bit at nite. I've sprayed for bed bugs and bombed for bed bugs. I ...
  A: Brian, With all you have done I doubt very much that insects or mites are involved. In fact very ...
Ant like winged bug that jumps1/2/2013
  Q: I've seen this question asked twice now but here goes another, This bug looks like an acrobat ant, ...
  A: Nik, If you can't post a picture can you capture one? The only way to be certain about an id is to ...
Tiny brown bugs1/1/2013
  Q: We have noticed an increasing number of these bugs in the upstairs of our house. They are mainly in ...
  A: Liz, These are beetles but not powderpost beetles (woodworm). The images are too small for a ...
Tiny black things in kitchen12/31/2012
  Q: We found these tiny black specks on our kitchen floor after being out of town. Then I found more on ...
  A: Lindsay, I can't see these clearly enough to id. Can you get a closer picture? Are you finding ...
strange material on drywall with some tubing12/22/2012
  Q: DeAngelis. About a week ago, my wife and I discovered that we had a leak in our aquarium in the ...
  A: Ryan. I don't think this is mold. The texture and pattern looks more like termite shelter tubes ...
Wood eating bug droppings12/16/2012
  Q: I'm writing to you in hope of identifying what type of bug/beetle might be inside of my furniture. ...
  A: Renee, Drywood termites make the type of pellet you describe, see ...
Spiders, Termites, & Rats, Oh My12/8/2012
  Q: I have been hit with triple trouble this year: spiders, rats, termites. I live in South Eastern ...
  A: Brian, Sticky traps are the best way to control spiders in homes (see ...
bird/rodent mites12/5/2012
  Q: I have been experiencing bites all over my upper body for over 2 months now, this only happens when ...
  A: Lyssa, The pictures did not get posted. Take a look at ...
Small brown bugs in bedroom11/19/2012
  Q: I've found a couple small brown bugs, oval shaped, which don't appear to have wings- one was found ...
  A: Katherine, The image is a bit too small and dark to be certain (try these suggestions ...
book lice11/13/2012
  Q: I wrote to you a few days ago but now have a positive diagnosis of booklice from 2 different ...
  A: Susan, Temperature should not make much difference. The important point is to maintain the area as ...
Tiny bugs crawling on my floor11/11/2012
  Q: I had a flood from the air conditioning system 2 months ago which caused some of the parquet floor ...
  A: Susan, Can you post of picture of these bugs? I can't tell from your description what these are. ...
termite barriers11/7/2012
  Q: Foam board is to be applied to the exterior of a section of a Concrete Masonry Unit (CMU) wall from ...
  A: John, Pressure-treated wood or metal are the usual termite barriers between the foundation and sill ...
Wasps in Chimney.10/27/2012
  Q: My new tenants want to use a tiny gas fireplace, but there is almost certainly a wasp nest inside ...
  A: Greg, I think the safest approach would be to temporarily seal the bottom with rags then treat from ...
Are these bed bugs?10/22/2012
  Q: I recently moved into a new apartment and my company provided me with a matress and bed (I teach ...
  A: Kyle, These are not bed bugs (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/bed_bug.html for picture of bed ...
little black bugs10/20/2012
  Q: ok i was reading 1 of your other black bug thing it was called tiny black bugs you side they were ...
  A: Briteny, This is a beetle. The image is to dark to be certain of the species but it could be one ...
red and black flying bugs10/19/2012
  Q: These bugs dont bite but they are all over my house . I cant even open the patio door because they ...
  A: Andrea, If you post a picture I'd be certain but these sound like box elder bugs (see ...
saw dust in dressers in the dominican republic10/17/2012
  Q: i am a local exterminator. one of my customer has a home in the dominican republic he ask me a ...
  A: Mark, If the saw dust is very fine it is likely from some kind of powderpost beetle. There are many ...
Frass on kitchen counter10/5/2012
  Q: We are experiencing something on the kitchen counter every morning. There is one spot/instance of a ...
  A: John, If you remove the gray/brown spot does it reappear in the same place the next day? Have you ...
booklice9/28/2012
  Q: Last Friday, I found an infestation of booklice on a bag of rice which was sitting on my kitchen ...
  A: Will, Booklice are very common and finding a few is no reason for concern. They are completely ...
silverfish9/27/2012
  Q: do silverfish leave a silvery trail on the carpet?
  A: Danielle, No. Silverfish are usually seen on walls and they don't leave trails (see ...
little brown bugs that fly9/26/2012
  Q: How do I get rid of 1/10th inch plain brown bugs that fly out of my kitchen and bathroom? They were ...
  A: Linda, I'd need a picture to id these but they could be one of the beetles that infest stored foods ...
big spiders in house9/17/2012
  Q: In the past couple of weeks, I've seen a large spider, usually dark brown, every day either in the ...
  A: Dee, The mulch, deck or dampness probably are not the cause of the spiders. Male spiders are more ...
very tiny black bug in home9/15/2012
  Q: I open my my cupboard where my pots and pans are stored and I noticed on the floor these very tiny ...
  A: Marguerite, These don't sound like insects. Your best option is to collect a few (use a damp Q-tip) ...
Phorid Flies9/2/2012
  Q: About a year ago, phorid flies (they were identified by a entomologist) entered my home through an ...
  A: Carol, Phorid flies can develop inside drain pipes or may indicate a leak in a drainage line. If ...
small white worms/larve8/29/2012
  Q: I went into our basement tonight and thought I saw white rice under an old sofa (made of dirty wool ...
  A: Alan, This is a fly larva (maggot). Flies of this type are often associated with decomposing ...
What to do to get rid of these Hornets8/28/2012
  Q: I am having a problem with bell hornets at night. When getting out the car at night to come in the ...
  A: "Bell hornets, also called European hornets or giant hornets, can be aggressive and this defensive ...
Springtail, thrips or bird mites8/26/2012
  Q: Recently, I noticed little jumpers I thought were fleas but found out by NC State entomologist that ...
  A: Rhonda, There's a lot of parts to your question but here's some info that might be useful: Despite ...
bugs in house8/22/2012
  Q: we have little black bugs in our house. They actually are the size and color and shape of mouse ...
  A: Monica, These are dermestid beetles, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for info ...
asian roaches-central florida8/21/2012
  Q: The short version...Our neighbors in a house next to us moved out almost two months ago leaving ...
  A: Jackie, Asian cockroaches can be severe pests in the southeastern US. Unlike most cockroach ...
Pinhead sized bug Bites8/16/2012
  Q: My daughter and I have tiny pinhead sized bug bites in clusters on our hands, stomach, back, & on my ...
  A: Lisa, There are only a few bugs that actually bite people, see ...
Unidentifiable bug bites8/14/2012
  Q: I have been getting some bug bites for a couple of months now that I cannot identify and would love ...
  A: Kate, I really don't think these are bug bites. There are only a few insects and mites that ...
Hummingbirds v.s bell hornets8/10/2012
  Q: I have a lot of bell hornets attacking the hummingbird feeders so they drive away the hummingbirds ...
  A: Ivy, You'll probably need to change the type of feeder rather than control the hornets. My wife (my ...
3 different bugs - all in my bed or on me!8/6/2012
  Q: Jack, I read through all your other answers just to check if any of these bugs have been identified ...
  A: Jo, Image #1 did not get posted. I think only 2 images can be posted per question. Both #2 & #3 are ...
bug in bedroom8/5/2012
  Q: I found this, I hope you can identify it for me. Is it a bed bug? I am going crazy looking all over. ...
  A: This is a weevil, possibly one of the root weevil species. These beetles often enter homes but they ...
What is this insect?8/3/2012
  Q: I just moved into a new apartment and I keep finding these tiny black or brown bugs in my baby's ...
  A: Kaleen, I can't see much detail in the images but from your description I think this is one of the ...
Hornet/Wasp Problem8/1/2012
  Q: We recently purchased a house and have been living there for a week now. We first noticed a wasp ...
  A: Celena, Wasp numbers tend to fluctuate from year to year. Studies have shown that a warm, dry ...
bedbugs7/30/2012
  Q: I am currently going through a bedbug problem I was told it is a mild case and I was hoping you ...
  A: Shay, I think if you look through the articles starting on this page ...
Ants INSIDE and NOT outside7/28/2012
  Q: I have a problem with little ants gettin into our trailer and running all around our kitchen. I have ...
  A: John, Baits are the best way to control ants (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/ant_control.html ...
little black ants in bedroom7/24/2012
  Q: In the last few days I have noticed a small amount of little black ants near our bed. We live in ...
  A: Sam, Baits ("traps") are much better for eliminating ant nests than sprays. In fact sprays can ...
identify this bug and egg? is this bed bug?7/23/2012
  Q: DeAngelis, I live in Texas. I found some insects that they look like each other; 1.5 month ago I ...
  A: Alex, Excellent photography. Pic-1 appears to be a booklouse (psocid). Booklice are not related to ...
Noises in Walls7/22/2012
  Q: I live in Mississippi and I can hear noises coming from inside my walls. The noises are generally ...
  A: Brandon, Sounds like this at night usually are mice. If you have a crawl space under the house you ...
paper wasps in flue of fireplace7/21/2012
  Q: How do you go about killing the nest that may be in flue of fireplace . We have found a few wasps ...
  A: Chet, A smoky fire is the best way to destroy the nest as long as the flue is not plugged by the ...
bird mites7/19/2012
  Q: I've read some of the questions related to my problem on here and wanted to know what you thought of ...
  A: Kellie, Bird mites (aka nest, rodent, fowl, poultry mites) can survive for a time once the host ...
mites7/18/2012
  Q: We believe we have bird mites, the entire family is getting bitten. We've taken out the carpet, ...
  A: Cynthia, What you are describing sounds more like chigger mites (6 legs, red, hairs on legs), see ...
termites in the Caribbean (Dominican Republic)7/15/2012
  Q: We were advised this week by our caretaker that our 3rd floor condo has termites in it. They saw ...
  A: Marilee, In the tropics there are many more species of damaging termites than in the US, even in ...
Bird mites or spiderlings?7/13/2012
  Q: I live in London, England and for the last 4 weeks have been finding some tiny bugs in the front ...
  A: Giorgos, These are mites and appear to be in the same group as the mites commonly called bird ...
deer fly issues7/7/2012
  Q: I have a home in Monkton, Vermont.The Deer flys are really bad. So bad that we are considering ...
  A: Bill, I think you are doing about all there is to do. Unfortunately deer flies can be a severe pest ...
tiny black bugs on my bed7/6/2012
  Q: i have been finding a few (5-15)bugs on my bed from time to time. they are black,have an elongated ...
  A: Nathan, These are beetles but I can't see the image clearly enough to id beyond this. If you are ...
Burning Bush7/5/2012
  Q: Would you be able to help me please? Several of our burning bushes have begun to drop their leaves. ...
  A: Helen, Unfortunately a lot of things can cause these symptoms including insects, diseases and ...
Bed Bugs7/3/2012
  Q: Recently we found bed bugs in out couch. We steamed cleaned and then added Diatomeceous Earth on ...
  A: Angie, Any of the sprays that are approved for use in luggage will work (see ...
odd bug in savannah, georgia7/2/2012
  Q: I have found the same type bug/creature as Diane describes in her email except my critter sticks out ...
  A: Joanie, This is called a plaster bagworm. The larva lives inside a sack that it constructs from ...
Bites on scalp while sleeping6/30/2012
  Q: I have been getting bites on my scalp and hairline while sleeping on and off for months now. ...
  A: Nelle, Many allergies and environmental irritants can cause skin lesions that look exactly like bug ...
Wasps in my attic!6/25/2012
  Q: Every summer it is the same problem, but it seems to be getting worse over time. Wasps are in our ...
  A: Paula, Unfortunately I don't think the bug bomb will work. In fact these sprays are not really ...
Beetle I.D. please6/23/2012
  Q: Could you please tell us what type of bugs we have in our house and how to get them under control? ...
  A: Andy, The images are hard to see clearly but they could be either cigarette beetles or drugstore ...
tropical rat mites v bed bugs?6/22/2012
  Q: My husband and I have been going nuts for about 3 weeks with bites that are very itchy, and tend to ...
  A: Carmen, Except in the early stages of an infestation bed bugs are pretty easy to find. Check ...
Potential Powder Post Beetles?6/17/2012
  Q: I have a log (pine) home in Colorado (dry climate) which I believe may have powder post beetles. I ...
  A: Dan, The hole and boring dust are consistent with powderpost beetles but the age of the wood is ...
Clean Up After Professional Treatment6/14/2012
  Q: I recently had my home sprayed for roaches by a professional company. I had to remove all dishes ...
  A: Cathy, Sprays are not the best way to treat for cockroaches and it is unfortunate that the pest ...
chicken mites6/13/2012
  Q: I have a terrible problem with chicken mites in my car. My legs and arms look like a war zone. My ...
  A: Janey, These mites (bird, poultry, rodent, nest mites) won't survive for long once their host ...
Small bugs coming in through closed windows6/4/2012
  Q: For the past month or so we have noticed small bugs, dk brown under the window sill in our kitchen. ...
  A: Sandy, These sound like clover mites. Clover mites enter homes from outside. They feed on the ...
bees or wasps6/3/2012
  Q: i have bees or wasp flying all over my grass have managed to kill couple one has black & yellow ...
  A: Carol, Can you post a picture of the bees/wasps? Bees are usually somewhat "hairy" looking (see ...
Potential Termite Eggs?6/1/2012
  Q: Greetings, My name is Sean and I have found a very large amount of "eggs" in the basement. In part ...
  A: Sean, I'm not sure what you are describing but they are not termite eggs. Termite queens lays eggs ...
Cockroach or what?5/30/2012
  Q: This morning my wife called me up to the bathroom to investigate two insects she had found in the ...
  A: Andy, Without a picture it is hard to say for sure but it sounds more like a beetle than a ...
bed bugs outside?5/29/2012
  Q: I was recently with my family at a demolition derby (outside and it was about 92 degrees). We were ...
  A: Amy, I think it is very unlikely that this was a bed bug. Bed bugs are reddish-brown in color (see ...
Clicking noise in walls.5/28/2012
  Q: I live in the first floor of a flat from either the 17th or 18th Century in the middle of Edinburgh. ...
  A: Caitlin, The only thing I can think of would be crickets. Very few insects make loud noises and ...
can cleaning coax ants out of their hiding places??5/26/2012
  Q: I have a severe ant phobia. I have ants in my kitchen. This isn't the first time it's happened, and ...
  A: Christine, I can help with the ants but I think your biggest challenge is to deal with the anxiety ...
Mysterious bites.5/25/2012
  Q: DeAngelis. I really hope you can help me. I live in an older home with four apartments on site. I ...
  A: Sabrina, From your description it sounds like you may be getting bites from rodent mites (also ...
Ant hills5/22/2012
  Q: for some reason I didn't see an option to ask a follow up question so I started a new one, sorry. ...
  A: Kristin, As I mentioned in an earlier answer Amdro (or similar) ant bait is the best option because ...
Ant Hills5/21/2012
  Q: I was mowing my lawn over the weekend and noticed a lot of ant hills in a small area, I'd say there ...
  A: Kristin, These don't really sound like ant hills. Ant nests are generally distributed further apart ...
tiny red biting swarming flying insects5/18/2012
  Q: Hey there, my fiance' tried to take a nap this afternoon, and couldn't stop itching. he finally got ...
  A: Mary, The image is a bit small to be certain but I think these are thrips (see ...
Weird egg like things on ceiling, and now worms in another spot...5/17/2012
  Q: I don't know if these are related or not, but as they both showed up on our living room ceiling ...
  A: Dawn, The tan-colored eggs are moth eggs from a moth that would normally lay these eggs outside but ...
birdmites5/13/2012
  Q: we have encountered a huge invasion of birdmites two years ago as the last landlord used to raise ...
  A: Saso, Bird mites (also called rodent mites and nest mites; see ...
Serious Flea Infestation5/11/2012
  Q: Okay so for the past few months we have been battling fleas in our home. The dogs have them. The cat ...
  A: Brie, This is very unusual. Fleas are normally very easy to control with modern flea medications ...
Could my tree have termites or other wood destroying insects?5/5/2012
  Q: I have a 75 yr old flowering cherry. Today I noticed one of the nodes that used to have a branch ...
  A: Michelle, The kind of termites you are talking about are called subterranean termites and their ...
Getting rid of high-rise mosquito5/2/2012
  Q: I'm hoping you can help! My husband and I live on the 6th floor of our condo building in SE ...
  A: Serena, Are you sure these are mosquito bites? Have you seen mosquitoes? There are a number of ...
Sprays/Powder4/28/2012
  Q: I just found out that, due to a problem with bedbugs in a nearby apartment, my unit had been treated ...
  A: Lindsay, The simple answer is it depends on what exactly was sprayed or applied. There is no ...
Springtails and Clover Mites4/23/2012
  Q: My question is actually about two kinds of bugs. The first being a springtail, Iíve had some issues ...
  A: Kristin, I've never had anyone describe springtails as "wandering" before, hopping, jumping, ...
Varied Carpet Beetle4/21/2012
  Q: I recently discovered carpet beetles in our home, both the bugs and the molted skin. I have found ...
  A: Christine, There's no need to do anything drastic, carpet beetles can be easily managed yourself ...
Ant problem4/18/2012
  Q: I have a problem with little black ants at specific places around my house- under electrical ...
  A: Beryl, Sounds like the ant population in the walls is large enough that Terro (boric acid) baits ...
fleas4/15/2012
  Q: I have indoor kitten who has fleas. I've tried the OTC treatments for her with absolutely no ...
  A: Michelle, The best way to control fleas is to treat both the pets and their bedding/home. Adult ...
odor after termite treatment4/14/2012
  Q: We had termite treatment about two weeks ago...the type where they put the holes with green caps ...
  A: Sherilyn, The "holes with green caps" sounds like termite bait stations. These would have no odor ...
Reddish black dot like bugs4/7/2012
  Q: Several days ago, my upstairs and downstairs neighbors told me they found black dot like bugs on the ...
  A: Aran, This is a clover mite. They are a type of spider mite and feed mainly on grasses. They are ...
Tiny ants ignore bait4/5/2012
  Q: I have ants that don't care for protein- or sugar- based baits, either commercial or DIY. They are ...
  A: Lisa, Some ants are very finicky about which baits they will accept. I'd stick with the commercial ...
What are tiny black flying bugs in house?3/29/2012
  Q: Last September, I started noticing tiny little black flying bugs in our house. Initially, they ...
  A: Lori, You've mentioned all the usual suspects (drain flies, fungus gnats, phorid flies, vinegar ...
unknown pest3/27/2012
  Q: we moved into a rental house in Palm Harbor FL and found some non legged creature kind elongated ...
  A: Eva, I think you are describing a plaster bagworm. If you post a picture I'd be able to confirm. ...
Ground bees?3/26/2012
  Q: I found the holes drilled in the dirt under my raised porch. There were lots of bees or wasp going ...
  A: Shannon, I can't see the insects clearly but these appear to be digger bees. Digger bees are ...
termites3/21/2012
  Q: We just had a termite inspection done here in kansas. He did not say we currently have termites and ...
  A: Landon, It is not necessary to treat for termites unless an active infestation is found. You are ...
nasty reoccuring eggs on ceiling3/19/2012
  Q: I noticed there was a black spot so I took a picture. 2 days later noticed another bigger spot. Upon ...
  A: Jina, These are moth eggs and tiny moth larvae. It is common for moths that get into houses to lay ...
carpet beetles3/14/2012
  Q: We found we had carpet beetles last year July 2011,we called out pest controll and they sprayed the ...
  A: Emma, I don't generally recommend pest control for carpet beetles. Carpet beetle infestations can ...
Lake Weevils3/10/2012
  Q: Our lake has milfoil, we are looking at introducing Aquatic weevils into our lake. My question is ...
  A: Robert, Biological control of any pest species can be extremely complex. In this case, while the ...
pest3/4/2012
  Q: I live in the city in a 2 story row house home. At night mostly i here something running around the ...
  A: Ramon, I'm not the rodent expert but this sounds like mice that have gotten into the walls and ...
dermanyssus gallinae2/20/2012
  Q: I am located in Adelaide, australia. There has been an outbreak of the subject mite in an area near ...
  A: Alex, This mite is one of a group of mites that are ectoparasites on birds and rodents (see ...
phorid fly infestation2/19/2012
  Q: Last year my home started showing up these beasts. I have exhausted every means of advise from pest ...
  A: Bill, Don't confuse phorid flies with drain flies (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/drain_fly.html ...
bug cocoon2/9/2012
  Q: I recently found several cocoons approximately 1/8" long, brown in color, hard to the touch with a ...
  A: Shannon, I'd need a picture to be certain but from your description I think you have either a small ...
sawyer pine beetle1/30/2012
  Q: I do have a infested pine tree close to my 40 yr old pine log cabin . This past fall the sawyer ...
  A: Chris, The pine sawyer won't infest the logs in your log cabin because they need live or recently ...
Bug Problem?1/26/2012
  Q: DeAngelis, I am assuming by apartment has a bug problem, but I'm not sure what bug is causing it. ...
  A: Wondering, Since the bites/irritation have stopped and you've not detected any bed bugs in your ...
oriental cockroaches and cat food?1/12/2012
  Q: I live on the top floor of a 2 family home. My neighbors live on the ground floor + furnished ...
  A: Amanda, ANY sources of food (wet or dry) and water will be attractive to cockroaches. Dry versus ...
Florida White Fly infestation1/9/2012
  Q: Happy New Year! I live in FL. The White Fly is swarming all over all trees here, all their leaves ...
  A: Rick, Severe whitefly infestations can cause defoliation and can stunt or even kill plants. Also, ...
cockroach problems1/4/2012
  Q: Jack, Thank you for your time. I have lived in my house for 10 years and never had much problem ...
  A: Tanya, It is much better to use baits for cockroaches rather than sprays. Sprays can be very toxic, ...
Tiny bugs found crawling on wall1/2/2012
  Q: I have recently found many tiny brownish bugs crawling on my bedroom's wall. They are of sizes ...
  A: Valerie, From your description I'd guess either grain mites (also called mold mites) or psocids ...
small white bugs in the bedroom carpet12/14/2011
  Q: We have found small white bugs under our bed in the carpet, they do not seem to be crawling up walls ...
  A: Charlie, These are probably grain mites, also called mold mites (see ...
Insects/bugs due to deconstruction next door?12/7/2011
  Q: I've lived in my apartment for 3 years, and it was only recently that I come across this problem I'm ...
  A: Rai, Your description sounds like a psocid or booklouse (if you post a picture I could confirm). ...
Something eating our clothes!11/26/2011
  Q: We live in Melbourne, Australia, and Iíve struck a problem Iíve never had before. We moved into a ...
  A: Lyn, This does not look like typical insect damage plus insects only rarely damage cotton cloth. ...
Cockroaches in Dishwasher11/24/2011
  Q: I just got a used portable, counter-top dishwasher. I brought it home & ran an empty load w/ bleach ...
  A: Ann, Baits are the best way to control cockroaches so your efforts so far are correct. See ...
Bed bugs via shipping packages11/16/2011
  Q: I (as I'm sure most other people) have been hearing a lot about bed bugs lately. I'm beginning to do ...
  A: Amy, Not very likely. Bed bugs occur in areas where people sleep. Since they can't fly, or move ...
RID-X Bugs11/12/2011
  Q: Today I found my laundry room infested with Drugstore Beetles. I went on line after I found the ...
  A: Tim, Drugstore beetles develop on a wide variety of organic material (see ...
Black round bugs coming from roof of camper11/6/2011
  Q: I live in Yukon (nice cold temperatures in winter) but I bought a camper from rainy Vancouver last ...
  A: Sheila, I'm sorry but I can't tell what the "lady bug" or the "tiny black slivers" are without a ...
Bug larvae? What are they?11/2/2011
  Q: In my spare bedroom we found these nasty little larvae crawling around in the sheets that haven't ...
  A: As suspected this is a dermestid beetle larva, also sometimes called carpet beetles. See ...
pests10/25/2011
  Q: We live in Phoenix and leave for the summer. This year when we returned home after being away for 5 ...
  A: Lazora, When you remove this material can you see a small hole in the ceiling where it was hanging? ...
Box Elder Bugs10/22/2011
  Q: Since the fall season began (I live in Wisconsin) I've been finding many dead Box Elder bugs by the ...
  A: Sarah, It is unusual for the bugs to die like this, normally they congregate on the exterior, sunny ...
Dropping or eggs?10/20/2011
  Q: I couldn't figure out how to respond to your answer I know this isn't the right way but I just ...
  A: Ashley, Ok, I'm pretty sure this is not insect frass of any kind because frass would not be sticky. ...
Droppings or Eggs around Electronics?10/18/2011
  Q: I have been going crazy with Mosquitos and then fleas (we have inside dogs) in our house. We live in ...
  A: Ashley, I think you are correct about the allergy. Most of the "mysterious bites" and itchiness ...
small bugs10/12/2011
  Q: Recently our backyard has been taken over by these small, brown bugs. They are crawling our ...
  A: Denise, I can't tell from the image what these are (too small). However, there are many small ...
small yellowish/white worms 1/4" long10/9/2011
  Q: These worms have infested my black sunflower seeds kept in a metal garbage can. They make the seeds ...
  A: Susan, Don't use the moldy seeds as they can make the birds sick. The worms are probably larvae of ...
wasps10/8/2011
  Q: we seem to have tons of wasps in our yard. We've tried eliminating places that they build their ...
  A: Lauren, The best method to get rid of wasps depends on which wasp you have in the yard. Have you ...
household worm10/1/2011
  Q: I am looking for info and possible response to this little worm that seems to work his way through ...
  A: Jim, This is a millipede (google "millipede" for more pictures). They are harmless scavengers that ...
Followup9/28/2011
  Q: I actually found a picture- and it looks like this ...
  A: Kim, This is a house centipede, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/centipede.html for another ...
Firebrat but with more legs problem9/27/2011
  Q: Wondering how to best get rid of a firebrat (or something like it- looks greyish brown and has lots ...
  A: Kim, I think you are describing a house centipede (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/centipede.html ...
a roach problem?9/26/2011
  Q: I have lived in the same apartment for 10 years and never had any real bug problem. Some spiders ...
  A: Tom, Cockroaches can be a problem in apartments, especially older buildings. See ...
flesh flies in my bathroom9/21/2011
  Q: Last month we were dealing with rats in the attic. We hired an exterminator who came and sealed all ...
  A: Tracy, I think you have analysed this pretty well. A dead animal in the walls or ceiling/crawlspace ...
maggots9/19/2011
  Q: Flies have laid eggs on my wolf fur pelt. How do I get rid of these before they grow without ruining ...
  A: Freezing for several days will kill any insects or eggs so this would be a good step if you have a ...
tiny bug w/ red legs9/16/2011
  Q: tiny bug looks greyish, with tiny red legs... round, flat, moves pretty fast for an itty bitty lil ...
  A: Quita, I'm sorry but I can't tell much without a picture. You said it was on you, did it bite? If ...
feces found in garage9/7/2011
  Q: I'm based in the UK and have found some feces in our garage and was wondering if you can help ...
  A: Ray, I'm not sure what I'm looking at. If these are mouse droppings I may not be the right person ...
Do carpet beetles feed on bed bugs?9/5/2011
  Q: Recently I have been getting a lot of bites, usually at night, on my elbows, hands, or arms. ...
  A: Ramona, Carpet beetles do not feed on bed bugs. Carpet beetles are very common in homes so if you ...
I can't find anymore?9/1/2011
  Q: I rent the basement at a family members home. Recently I woke up with bite marks in one area so ...
  A: Jessica, The "bite marks" you describe don't sound like bed bug bites which tend to look like bad ...
wasp8/28/2011
  Q: Wasps are getting into the attic under the eves. How to get rid of them?
  A: Bud, If there's a nest in the attic you don't want to seal off the entrance/exit through the eves ...
Millipede infestation7/23/2011
  Q: I live in the ground floor-extension of a house which backs onto a creek, in a neighbourhood visited ...
  A: Isabelle, I can't see any detail in the image (too small, too dark). However, from your description ...
very small brown/tan bug7/20/2011
  Q: i have found a few very small brown/tan bugs in my living room. I found them on a painted surface ...
  A: Anne, Your description sounds like sprintails (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/springtails.html ...
small brown House Ants7/18/2011
  Q: Jack, I live in Connecticut and recently have small brown house ants coming in thru the kitchen ...
  A: Bill, Spray insecticides don't work for these little ants (several different species). In fact ...
Wood destroying organism7/4/2011
  Q: I am a Sri Lankan and I have a problem with a wood destroying organism. All my doors and windows ...
  A: Isuru, The image did not get attached. However, from your description I think this is almost ...
Termite Control6/30/2011
  Q: I currently have an advanced termite system. The people before me had this product installed. I ...
  A: Andrew, You are far enough north that termites are not a severe problem and most people probably ...
wall infestations at window sills6/29/2011
  Q: I have a powdery substance around my window sills and wall puffiness underneath looks like a water ...
  A: Rella, I think you are right in that the problem is water rather than insects. You'll need to ...
Dropping question6/26/2011
  Q: We have been finding these "droppings" in our house that are black - most of the time we think ...
  A: Jessica, Where in the house are you finding these pellets? Are they in one room or scattered? My ...
what is this bug6/13/2011
  Q: I have seen these bugs in my house and they can be anywhere. They are black and about 1/4 inch ...
  A: Charlotte, Without a picture I'm only guessing but it sounds like a click beetle (family ...
cockroaches6/11/2011
  Q: I live in NY and i have a moderate to severe cockroach problem. A friend suggested I use boric ...
  A: G, Boric acid does not cause behavioural changes in insects. It is mainly a stomach poison, which ...
bird /rat mite6/10/2011
  Q: I have had an ongoing mite issue in two residences. At the first place, landlords tried drugs to no ...
  A: Tom, Before ditching the furniture and moving at least consider that these symptoms are not mite ...
bugs in bathroom6/9/2011
  Q: About once a day I find a small grey or silver bug in my bathroom that sort of glides away when I go ...
  A: Melissa, From your description I too would have said silverfish (see ...
Tiny Black Insects6/7/2011
  Q: I live in Queens, NY and I moved into my new place this year. It is on the 4th floor. When the ...
  A: Lyman, I can't see the insect in the image clearly enough to id but from your description I'd guess ...
bites at night. found the bug. can't find anymore evidence of other bugs.6/5/2011
  Q: I was bitten last night about 7 times in random places on my upper body. I woke up around 4am very ...
  A: Tisha, Without a specimen to examine, or a picture, it is impossible to say for certain what, if ...
paper wasp nest in 2 chimneys6/4/2011
  Q: We have a house with two chimneys and a cupola with a weather vane. We also have a water fountain. ...
  A: Margaret, I think smoking them out will work so long as you can build a smoky, hot fire. They ...
bugs in my cupboard6/1/2011
  Q: I have a red oval shape smoothsurface no visable legs or antennas but crawls bug in my food ...
  A: Rita, Can you post a picture? Your description does not match any of the insects that are usually ...
Black Spider/Tarantulas5/31/2011
  Q: I lived in Detroit, MI, in a single family house. My husband saw a black hairy 8 legs, ...
  A: Serita, I'm pretty sure there are no tarantulas in Michigan. What you probably saw was one of the ...
Bugs under skin5/24/2011
  Q: MY husband has bug bites all over arms look like flea and mesquito bites and 5 big bits on inside of ...
  A: Heather, These should be collected in some alcohol so they can be examined under a microscope. ...
Roach our a water bug5/23/2011
  Q: Is this a water bug or a roach? What can I do to get rid of them?
  A: Rae, I'm not sure what you mean by "water bug" but this is definitely a cockroach. Outdoors ...
Bugs in the house5/22/2011
  Q: Please help. I find lots of very very small catterpillars dark brown in my house. Some of them are a ...
  A: Gina, I'd need a picture to be sure but these sound like dermestid beetle (also called carpet ...
clover mites5/16/2011
  Q: We are in South Jersey and I believe we have tiny red clover mites taking over our front walkway. ...
  A: Barbara, Clover mites generally don't move across open areas like this so I think the first step ...
Hiring a pest control professional5/15/2011
  Q: Good morning Jack, Background: About 12 days ago, I heard a noise as though there was water running. ...
  A: Martha, I can't be very specific without knowing more details however I'll make some general ...
Indian Meal Moths in the ceiling5/9/2011
  Q: We have had ongoing outbreaks of Indian Meal Moths for the last several summers. Each year we clean ...
  A: Lindsey, Meal moths feed on a wide variety of course, relatively dry foods. They would not infest ...
Wasps in roof void making strange noises5/4/2011
  Q: Over the last 3 weeks, we've been hearing some strange rasping noises coming from the roof above our ...
  A: Mike, In my experience loud noises like this are generally mice/rodents rather than wasps or ...
Ants5/2/2011
  Q: I was wondering if you could advise me on ways to keep ant populations in my yard under control. ...
  A: Chris, Thanks for re-submitting the question. The best option for ants control in the landscape is ...
Spiders4/28/2011
  Q: I am hoping you can help me! We moved into a new house last October and seem to have TONS of ...
  A: Jamie, The small grass spiders are common this time of the year, and harmless. They will disappear ...
Mites in my bed?4/25/2011
  Q: For about the past two weeks, I've been itching while in my bed. I've also gotten bumps that look ...
  A: Melissa, The terms bird mites, poultry mites, rodent mites and nest mites all refer to a group of ...
Carpet Beetle4/24/2011
  Q: We have had a problem with Carpet Beetles and their larvae. We found the larvae behind the chairs in ...
  A: Karen, Carpet beetles (Dermestidae) are very common and finding a few is no reason for concern (see ...
Tiny black biting bug - New Hampshire4/23/2011
  Q: Yesterday I stripped the linen off my bed and was able to find what I believe to be tiny little ...
  A: Lisa, I can't tell from this description what these are. Could you capture a few (use a damp Q-tip) ...
Mosquito barrier spray pesticide question4/20/2011
  Q: Our mosquito problem is so bad that we have thought about using a barrier spray applied by a local ...
  A: Leslie, You didn't say where you live but I'm guessing the southeastern US since it is a bit early ...
help id bug4/19/2011
  Q: Is this a cockroach? If it is, it's the first I have seen any bugs at this apartment and I have been ...
  A: James, No. This is a cricket. The enlarged hind legs are the key characteristic that identifies ...
small brown bug w/ zigzag stripes4/17/2011
  Q: I have found a few of these small brown bugs in my bedroom, and am quite worried that they are bed ...
  A: Rose, This is definitely NOT a bed bug. It is a varied carpet beetle (see ...
House Bug4/15/2011
  Q: Just the past couple of days I have run into these tiny black hard shell bugs located on top of my ...
  A: Anthony, This looks like a weevil, probably one of the grain weevils. Grain weevils infest whole ...
holes in leather and fabric couches4/11/2011
  Q: Help, while vacuuming and dusting my couches, I noticed small holes (about 3-4) on the top of the ...
  A: Colleen, Did you find holes and sawdust in BOTH couches? Could you post a picture? How coarse is ...
small insects on my ceiling4/9/2011
  Q: Just recently my hubby and I noticed these small brown dirt trails on our ceiling.We took a knife ...
  A: Renee, This sounds like subterranean termites (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/termite.html for ...
unknown "droppings"? in kitchen drawer4/7/2011
  Q: We have noticed this in one of our kitchen drawers on three occasions. It is very localized to that ...
  A: Angela, Take a look at the map on this page http://www.livingwithbugs.com/drywood_termite.html and ...
worms in kitchen4/4/2011
  Q: Last summer I noticed tiny beige worms on the ceiling of my kitchen. It appears they are coming ...
  A: Amanda, This sounds like meal moth larvae, perhaps Indian meal moth (see ...
Odorous house ants-followup3/31/2011
  Q: Jack, this is a continuation of my question about the odorous house ants (the system wouldn't allow ...
  A: Ok, I'm still wondering about the apparent association with ground water but if you are determined ...
Odorous house ants3/29/2011
  Q: I live in Huntsville, AL, and I've been dealing with this problem for over 4 months now, since just ...
  A: Bruce, The odor from crushed odorous house ants is often described as rotten coconut. Does it smell ...
ants putting debris on bait3/24/2011
  Q: I've been putting down bait stations for an ant problem, after reading several answers on this site. ...
  A: Kathy, I've not seen this behavior before. My guess is the baits are being treated as foreign ...
Argentine ants3/24/2011
  Q: Hallo Jack, In my area (Subtropical Lowveld area in South Africa) have general problems with ...
  A: Stephan, Unfortunately I don't have any "magic bullets". Some people use a material called ...
Ants/Worms/??? in yard3/23/2011
  Q: I live in a wooded area and struggle to keep my yard(2 acre) healthy(alive). Each year it seems like ...
  A: Ken, Without a picture of the mounds, and some idea where you are located, I'm just guessing but ...
Tiny bugs everywhere in my flat!3/23/2011
  Q: ) I keep finding these tiny bugs everywhere! There are loads on the carpets and on window sills, ...
  A: Lydia, Thanks for including the picture. These are dermestid carpet beetles (see ...
Unidentified Insect3/23/2011
  Q: I found an insect about 0.2cm in length in my office (in Singapore) when it was crawling on my ...
  A: Nora, If you post a clear picture of your insect I may be able to help, however I'm not a expert in ...
Ants3/21/2011
  Q: I live in the Chicagoland, IL, suburbs in a residence on a slab foundation. For several years, I've ...
  A: Karen, There are several things that can cause baits to fail. The most common reason baits fail is ...
Bird mites3/19/2011
  Q: We had a positive ID for bird mites and our PCO recommended thermal treatment for our three story ...
  A: Candace, Unfortunately, I think what you have discovered is that bird mites were never the real ...
household worms3/18/2011
  Q: Jack, You responded to my question wanting to know more in info. I am unable to provide a pix. The ...
  A: Bob, There should be a "follow up" button so you don't have to post new questions each time. I ...
Bug feces3/16/2011
  Q: I have been having a problem with some sort of insect I believe. Over the last few days I have ...
  A: Holly, If you are finding this material on the kitchen counter it is definitely not from bed bugs. ...
Follow up regarding powderpost beetles3/15/2011
  Q: Jack, I was forced to ask a "new" question because of the number of follow ups. In answer to your ...
  A: Roger, As you say, who knows. At this point the best strategy is to keep an eye out for new ...
springtale3/15/2011
  Q: I have read information regarding springtale that they DO NOT bite humans nor spread disease. I had ...
  A: Al, Springtails (Collembola) do not bite nor do they spread disease, and they don't infest homes ...
What is this insect and should I be worried?3/14/2011
  Q: I'm a fellow AllExperts.com expert (screenwriting). I have a vacation home in Lake Arrowhead, CA. ...
  A: Roger, I can't see the details on the back well enough to be sure but it is either a stink bug ...
safe control of bugs3/14/2011
  Q: I think it's most likely carpet beetles, as I did a Google search and the pictures seem to look like ...
  A: Sarah, Both carpet beetles and clothes moths can do the kind of damage you describe (see ...
bird mites (dermanyssus gallinae)3/13/2011
  Q: I hope you can help me. I live in Melbourne Australia and about 3 weeks ago noticed some bites on ...
  A: Michele, Unfortunately, as you have found, there's a lot of misinformation on the Internet and this ...
powderpost beetles3/9/2011
  Q: I am interested in purchasing a 10year old home. The library is entirely wood (paneling, crown ...
  A: Nancy, Can you tell me what kind of wood the infested molding is made of, or at least is it a ...
Tick control3/8/2011
  Q: We live in an area with high tick problems. Three of our dogs and my husband have had very bad ...
  A: Diana, Sevin is an older, broad spectrum insecticide (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/sevin.html ...
carpet beetles?3/7/2011
  Q: I hope you can help me with my bug issue. First, you should know I am so squeamish about bugs that ...
  A: TH, There's two things going on here. The first is a fairly minor infestation of carpet beetles ...
Bird mites?3/5/2011
  Q: 18 months ago found a dead bird on bedroom carpet next to computer. About 6 to 12 months ago had ...
  A: Laura, I don't think this is related to bird mites (see ...
White worms3/2/2011
  Q: I am having an issue with white worms with a dark dot at either end. They slither out from under the ...
  A: Heather, These sound like a primitive fly larva, possibly a fungus gnat or drain fly. See ...
little crawling/flying bug3/2/2011
  Q: i have found lots of little beatle looking bugs tiny like a pencil point they crawl and jump and it ...
  A: Kelly, Could you post a picture; this description fits a couple of different critters? Also, tell ...
Bug Problem3/1/2011
  Q: My name is Jennifer & I live in Cleveland, Ohio. A few months ago, I noticed that every now & then ...
  A: Jennifer, Bug problems generally develop slowly over time so I suspect that these have been around ...
bird mites/chicken mites2/24/2011
  Q: Good Morning, I am wanting to ask a question in relation to what could be bothering my skin. Approx ...
  A: Simone, Lots of different things can cause the sensations you are experiencing (tingling, crawling ...
Tick control2/16/2011
  Q: We have had several bad problems with lyme disease here and need to spray for the ticks. I would ...
  A: Diana, The short answer is yes, many formulations of Sevin (carbaryl) are effective against ticks. ...
Small white pods with 'tentacle' extending/retracting from either end2/14/2011
  Q: I have found some small white pod/cylinder with a leg or 'tentacle' that extends/retracts from ...
  A: Mark, This is a type of clothes moth larva. The larva, or caterpillar, lives inside the case which ...
termites2/12/2011
  Q: I read that if soil is making contact with the bottom of a wall it can be easy access for termites ...
  A: Elsa, There are many different types of termites. Some require damp wood to survive and these can ...
silverfish2/11/2011
  Q: I have had my home treated 3 times for silverfish. now that the snow is melting I have started ...
  A: Betty, The main problem is probably the shake roof. If the roof is covered with moss, or some other ...
drain mites2/2/2011
  Q: I've had these pesky mites for a month now and nothing can get rid of them. I've had the pest ...
  A: Maria, Can you describe what you mean by "drain mite", this is not a common name I've heard before. ...
mosquitos1/30/2011
  Q: i stay in thailand now and this time of the year there are too many mosquitos that get into where i ...
  A: Jii, This is essentially a small UV "black" light with an electrified grid. In the US we call these ...
Small worm like bugs in apartment!!! Help!1/28/2011
  Q: I am hoping that you will be able to assist me with my little bug problem! I live in an apartment in ...
  A: Tanya, Does not sound like a newly hatched silverfish since these insects look like the adult in ...
Bed Bugs1/18/2011
  Q: DeAngelis, I live in New York City in an apartment with my parents. For a while, I guess I didn't ...
  A: David, I don't know the pest control companies in NYC so I can't make any specific recommendations. ...
Termite in fence1/17/2011
  Q: I know a part of my wooden fence has evidence of termite. (it's a 2 foot tall wooden fence sitting ...
  A: Philip, Termites probably won't be dispersed by removing the fence. By removing the fence you will ...
Yellowish spider on plant1/15/2011
  Q: I woke up and realized that there was an abundance of shedded skins around on my my plants, and then ...
  A: Ryan, Excellent picture. These are not spiders but rather small insects called aphids that feed on ...
redback spiders1/13/2011
  Q: I'm living in Australia. I found a male and female redback spider living on my bike a few days ago. ...
  A: Jon, Redback spiders are related to our black widow spiders, and I'm more familiar with this ...
Termite Infestation12/26/2010
  Q: I own a 26-unit apartment building in Los Angeles which has evidence of termites. The damage ranges ...
  A: Bob, These sound more like drywood termites rather than subterranean termites (see ...
Larvae12/23/2010
  Q: I was drinking hot chocolate the other night and I felt something solid on my tongue. It was a ...
  A: Christina, The picture is a bit too dark but there are a number of different insects that infest ...
termites in storage facility12/22/2010
  Q: I had my household goods stored in a self storage unit since 2004 in Southaven, MS. This past ...
  A: Kathy, Concrete and steel construction won't necessarily stop termites. Termites build a system of ...
Springtail bites or possible bedbugs?12/19/2010
  Q: I am perplexed by the mixed info on whether springtails bite and concerned that we may have bedbugs ...
  A: Karen, Springtails (Collembola) do not bite nor do they infest homes. They do enter homes on ...
insect in my home12/18/2010
  Q: I just moved into a house, found out a kind of insect on my kitchen & bathroom floor, close to my ...
  A: Jean, This appears to be a springtail (Collembola) not a flea (see ...
Bed Bug Control/Moving12/15/2010
  Q: I live in NYC. Lo and behold, some months ago I had new neighbors come in and starting noticing more ...
  A: Mary, Unfortunately bed bugs cause a lot of over-reaction because of the attention they have gotten ...
Fleas12/8/2010
  Q: I have been living in my condo for around 5 years without any pets and never a flea problem. ...
  A: Mark, What you describe is completely consistent with the flea life cycle. What you are seeing are ...
Bed bug bites?11/27/2010
  Q: Some time over the past 2 weeks I woke up feeling my elbows were a little itchy, and they were both ...
  A: Kahira, This does not sound like bed bugs (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/bed_bug.html for ...
biting midges, no-see-ums11/27/2010
  Q: How do I get rid of these "pests" (biting midges-no-see-ums) already all over inside my house, in my ...
  A: Linda, Have you captured any of the midges and had them identified? Biting midges don't normally ...
Tiny bugs in finished basement11/23/2010
  Q: I've got these tiny bugs in my finished basement. They look like a spec of pepper and measure about ...
  A: Tim, This is called a psocid or booklouse. They are not related to true lice and do not bite. They ...
tiny caterpillars/larvae?11/23/2010
  Q: I've been finding tiny critters that remind me of wolley bear caterpillars except that they are ...
  A: Elinor, I think you are describing carpet beetle larvae. See ...
Help, our rented house is full of bugs!!11/18/2010
  Q: I will provide you with a short history first. We moved into a rented property just over two months ...
  A: Linda, These are larvae of carpet beetles (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for ...
insects11/17/2010
  Q: I bought some rabbit food and now the bag is fulled with bugs/insects. looks like little flying ...
  A: Cyndi, I can't tell from your description what this is. Could you post a picture? If not, collect a ...
Bedbugs?11/11/2010
  Q: I'm hoping you can help me with a question I have about suspected bedbugs? I've not been bitten, (to ...
  A: Jasmine, I'll answer these questions in reverse order. You'd need freezing temperatures, similar to ...
Wood Infestation11/11/2010
  Q: Sorry I have not replied sooner but I have only just seen your reply on your website as I was ...
  A: The pest control company will probably want to drill into the wall and/or floor to inject ...
Biting bugs in November11/10/2010
  Q: "Surry/North Carolina/US We had a rather cold end of week last week and weekend with highs in the ...
  A: Jessica, Mosquitoes can still be present even after frost and colder weather sets in, just not as ...
roaches/nymphs/palmetto bugs11/8/2010
  Q: I replaced my pest control company because I kept finding theses small, triangular bugs in my ...
  A: Maria, If you post a picture of the "triangular bugs" I may be able to confirm the id. Palmetto ...
Unknown Insect11/4/2010
  Q: I rented a house 6 months ago and from time to time i found this insect (pictures attached) crawling ...
  A: Moustafa, There are many different insects that fit this description and the picture is not clear ...
Wood and Brick Infestation11/4/2010
  Q: I live in Marbella , southern Spain and I have an apartment in my basement of my villa which the ...
  A: Paul, The branching structure in the photo looks like a "shelter tube" made by subterranean ...
Yellow Jacket Wasps in Fireplace11/1/2010
  Q: I have had an issue with wasps coming into my home through my one fireplace. I have had ...
  A: Jenny, At this time of the year fertilized wasp "queens" are abandoning their nests and looking for ...
Wasp in chimney/siding11/1/2010
  Q: I have a new house, purchased last November. I had wasps in the chimney last year. Bunch dropped ...
  A: Stacy, They could in fact be paper wasps. They are probably looking for a place to spend the ...
dust mites10/31/2010
  Q: It looks like a small white dust mite under the glass on the screen of my game boy, could this be ...
  A: Maureen, This is probably not a dust mite. Dust mites are very small and difficult to see without ...
Is this a roach?10/28/2010
  Q: I live in a large apartment complex and I suspect my neighbors have roaches. This scared me to death ...
  A: Jenn, I can't be certain because the image is too blurry but the shape is not right for a roach. ...
Tiny White Bugs10/27/2010
  Q: I have these tiny white bugs, they seem to be crawling on everything Plastic in general, i have even ...
  A: Ackleema, These sound like mold mites, also called grain mites. They feed on mold so are common ...
wasps10/26/2010
  Q: I live in north Texas. Every year, I have wasps flying around my chimney and in the chimney. I can ...
  A: Linda, The wasps are probably nesting between the outside of your metal chimney pipe and the ...
Fleas in Drain10/25/2010
  Q: I work at an apartment complex and we have a downstairs apartment that has fleas (confirmed by a ...
  A: Sherry, While the apartment may have fleas I don't think the source is the drains. Fleas don't come ...
Worms10/21/2010
  Q: I have worms in my house which look a bit like woodworms they are yellowish with little black heads, ...
  A: Veronika, These are not woodworms since woodworms never leave the wood that they live in until they ...
Drain Flies10/19/2010
  Q: Good morning. I live in a one year old basement apartment and for the past 2 months we have a ...
  A: Esther, Have you captured any of the flies and had them identified? Are you certain they are drain ...
house flies10/16/2010
  Q: Is it possible for house flies to deposite their eggs away from a food/water source? If yes, what ...
  A: Loren, House flies lay eggs in rotting animal and vegetable matter as well as manure (see ...
Bed Bugs Were Confirmed & Treated, Still Getting Bite Marks.10/15/2010
  Q: We live in Philadelphia, and after a trip my husband took, we had confirmed bed bugs in late June ...
  A: Kim, Bed bug infestations are generally pretty easy to detect except in the very earliest stages. ...
bug droppings10/15/2010
  Q: just wondering I live in Duchess county,NY I keep finding tiny black dots on our cars the car wash ...
  A: Andrea, If you park under trees these could be from aphids but it really sounds more like some kind ...
Australian Cockroaches10/12/2010
  Q: Sorry about the length, I'm leaving it, but here's a briefer version first: SW Florida w/Australian ...
  A: Jose, I don't think fogging will be very effective for cockroaches. Baiting is definitely the best ...
unidentified tiny cream bugs10/11/2010
  Q: I moved into a new house in the summer. over the past month it has become apparent that we have ...
  A: Jo, This is an excellent description of mold mites, also called grain mites (see ...
Re-Occurring Fly Problem10/11/2010
  Q: We moved into a new office building 3 years ago (it is a new build and we are its first occupiers) ...
  A: Liz, Have you had the flies identified? Once we know what kind of flies you have I'll be able to ...
Fleas10/8/2010
  Q: I have the same problem as the lady in the pet-free house finding fleas in her bathroom. I am very ...
  A: Stephanie, The best place to take a sample is the Harris Co. Cooperative Extension office ...
fleas in car10/7/2010
  Q: How do I eradicate fleas from my car without poisoning my family? Thanking you in advance...
  A: Kathy, Are you sure these are fleas? Unless an animal is kept in the car I think it is unlikely ...
kitchen mystery cocoon10/5/2010
  Q: I was washing out my sink today and when I reached for the sink plug, I found there was a cocoon ...
  A: Constantina, I can't tell from the description what this was. However, it does not sound like any ...
bed bugs and family pets10/5/2010
  Q: Will my dog and cat's Frontline Plus protect them from bed bugs?
  A: Kathy, Dogs and cats are not natural hosts of bed bugs (we are) so I don't think they will be ...
Bit twice over two weeks. Apt. Very sharp pain10/1/2010
  Q: I was bitten twice in my new apartment in NYC over the last two weeks. The second time, I managed ...
  A: Mike, I can't see it clearly enough for an id but the wings look like some kind of moth. Since ...
small larvae in my black sunflower seeds outside10/1/2010
  Q: i found yesterday that my bag of black sunflower seeds is infested in very very tiny little larvae. ...
  A: Julie, I think what you are describing is springtails (Collembola) rather than insect larvae (do ...
I thought I had bed bugs...9/29/2010
  Q: I thought i had bed bugs, due to the 30 or so bites that I have.(which all got there in one night) ...
  A: Melissa, I can't tell for sure without a picture but your description sounds like a larva of a ...
paper wasps/honets nests9/29/2010
  Q: we have two rather large hornets nests in one of the trees in our yard(paper like nests). at least ...
  A: Sharon, What state do you live in? Do you get freezing temps in winter? Unless you are in a warm ...
stink bugs9/27/2010
  Q: the name for these bugs that I have on my porch, stink bugs. They have a nest on my porch and I have ...
  A: CJ, I'm not sure what you mean by "nest" in this case. Stink bugs don't make nests in the usual ...
multi legged bugs9/26/2010
  Q: I just found a half dozen little beetle looking bugs in my bathroom. With the naked eye, they are ...
  A: Sue, What you've described is the larva of a dermestid beetle. See ...
insects in table9/25/2010
  Q: I have bought this antique dinning table about 4 years ago. I'm using it as a desk. Last few weeks, ...
  A: Jiyoung, The insects are too small for me to be certain but I think the beetle is either a ...
bedbugs and termites9/22/2010
  Q: I will be traveling soon to Hawaii. My biggest fear is to sleep on a bed that has bed bugs or even ...
  A: Elsa, Could you post the termite question into a separate question (just cut and paste)? It will ...
crawling (worklike) in Kitchen9/20/2010
  Q: Jack, I have these crawling (wormlike) pests in my Kitchen that appeared about a month ago after I ...
  A: Joe, These sound like meal moth larvae. The dark-colored flying insect is the adult moth. See ...
Noseems9/20/2010
  Q: This is truly, truly, truly a CRY for HELP! I lived in Florida for a few years and one day had the ...
  A: Mark, I'm sorry for your troubles but if you've read my other answers I think you know that what ...
2 headed insect9/17/2010
  Q: I found a 1/4" oval, gray (either small rock color or light gray wood color) scooting bug that seems ...
  A: Karen, I'd need a picture to be sure but I think you are describing a plaster bagworm (do you live ...
round little holes in mulch area9/16/2010
  Q: we have all these round little holes in the flowerbed about an inch deep by inch and half diameter ...
  A: Vickie, These are made by an insect called an antlion (Neuroptera). The insect sits in the bottom ...
Termites or Ants??9/15/2010
  Q: I noticed evidence of either ants or termites in the wall behind one of my kitchen cabinets. There ...
  A: Margaret, This appears to be termite galleries. I suspect they were feeding on the paperboard box ...
Black and Red bugs destroying trees at base and under ground9/14/2010
  Q: We have just botten a home that is about 30 years old. As you may guess some of the landscaping is ...
  A: Angie, These sound like boxelder bugs. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/boxelder.html for a ...
Carpenter ants are biting my ash!9/13/2010
  Q: I live in New Hampshire and felled a large healthy ash last year to make room for an addition. The ...
  A: Russ, Once the tree is felled and cut up carpenter ants are no longer an issue because they need an ...
Scorpions9/12/2010
  Q: I'm writing from Whitney, Tx. We've recently noticed some scorpions in our house. We see one every 2 ...
  A: Michelle, I'm not an expert in this group of arthropods but I don't think scorpions make a social ...
Springtails, is it common?9/12/2010
  Q: I moved into my house 1 year ago. It's a brand new house. Last year I never saw any of these bugs ...
  A: Kristin, Springtails (Collembola) are primitive insects that live in the soil feeding on organic ...
cockroach eggs9/11/2010
  Q: I live on the first floor of an old building in Tokyo. I saw an American roach last week but used a ...
  A: Concerned, Unfortunately, old apartment buildings often have cockroaches and you probably can't ...
fruit flys9/10/2010
  Q: I get fruit flys in my house in september wether I have fruit or not I live in maryland and I see ...
  A: Linda, The behaviors you describe don't really sound like fruit flies (also called vinegar flies), ...
large drugstore beetle infestation9/9/2010
  Q: I have had a large drugstore beetle infestation since May. I just learned online that these pests ...
  A: Sharon, Drugstore beetles can feed on a wide variety of natural household items including natural ...
Fleas9/9/2010
  Q: Jack. I am a landlord and I have been doing a great deal of internet research about fleas and have ...
  A: Denise, Since cat and dog fleas won't develop on human blood alone the fleas in apartments without ...
moving to new house, how to avoid bringing in bed bugs, cockroaches9/7/2010
  Q: We bought a new house and will move in soon. But the current apartment we are living in has bed ...
  A: Kathy, Here's an article about cleaning personal items that have been exposed to a bed bug ...
spiders brown recluse9/6/2010
  Q: IV'E HAD SOME SPIDERS IN MY HOUSE WERE THEY ARE COMING FROM I'M NOT SURE IV'E BEEN BITTEN THREE ...
  A: Greg, Unfortunately none of the ultrasonic pest repellers work against spiders or any other pests. ...
bugs in wood furniture9/3/2010
  Q: My daughter has a sofa in her apartment that has bugs she discovered in the wood. The sofa had been ...
  A: Patricia, I think your daughter's best bet might be to contact her local Cooperative Extension ...
Bug question9/2/2010
  Q: Did you ever find out what type of bug that was? the thin flat worm bug? I found the exact same ...
  A: Marissa, This is a plaster bagworm (household casebearer). It eventually turns into a small moth. ...
housefly invasion9/2/2010
  Q: Jack. I have lived in the same house in Mesa, AZ for several years now. Over the past week or so it ...
  A: Pamela, Surprisingly, house flies usually don't enter houses. Whenever we find what appears to be ...
uidentified larvae destroying herbs?8/31/2010
  Q: I'm not sure if this falls within your area of expertise, but I am having a hard time identifying a ...
  A: Amanda, This is the larva of a moth, possibly a cutworm. These can be very damaging garden pests. ...
carrion beetles8/30/2010
  Q: Flying insects have been entering our living room for a week. A licensed exterminator identified ...
  A: Amanda, Are you sure these are carrion beetles? I would not expect carrion beetles to emerge over ...
mystery bites8/29/2010
  Q: my father and I have both been plagued by mystery bugs. I have scoured the internet and can't find ...
  A: Amy, I'm sorry you are having this problem. I get lots of very similar questions about "bites" that ...
Pesticides8/26/2010
  Q: I recently had a Pest Control Officer come through my place and take care of a cockroach problem i ...
  A: Lee, I would ask the pest control company what they used. If it is boric acid powder it is ...
bug in bed but not a bed bug8/25/2010
  Q: while i was making up the bed today i saw a bug (which i thought was dirt at first) it was small, ...
  A: Afnan, I'd need a photo to make an identification but it does not sound like a bed bug. Bed bugs ...
Buying a house8/24/2010
  Q: My husband and I are currently in the process of buying a home. The house we are purchasing had ...
  A: Valerie, The devices you found are actually termite bait stations not traps (see ...
Fleas8/19/2010
  Q: I am having a problem with fleas in our home. 2 weeks and 3 days ago we saw the first fleas in our ...
  A: Melissa, Fleas won't survive in a house that has no pets so the problem should resolve fairly ...
Millions of very tiny bugs8/19/2010
  Q: We have property and chickens. I have these very very tiny bugs everywhere (but in the house). I ...
  A: Sandee, These are probably springtails (Collembola). Springtails can be very abundant in damp ...
Something has eaten my bookshelf...8/16/2010
  Q: We have a bookshelf that lives outside (gardening supplies etc) and it is made out of thick, solid ...
  A: Megan, The hole is far too big to have been made my an insect (my speciality). Is the hole smooth ...
Cockroaches8/16/2010
  Q: We have a Septic System. This past month our house has been invaded by Roaches. The house is new 2 ...
  A: Collette, I doubt that the cockroaches are coming from the septic tank or lines (I've never heard ...
pest8/13/2010
  Q: Today , i was in my attic, very hot, 100+, looking for something, i came across several boxes, i ...
  A: MGB, These sound like mold mites (also called grain mites). These mites are normally associated ...
Mystery bites8/12/2010
  Q: DeAngelis, Thanks for taking on this question. I am having some problems with possible bug bites, ...
  A: Mark, I agree with the first doctor, from what you've told me I think this is very unlikely to be ...
small jumping bugs8/9/2010
  Q: My brother have number o small dark jumping bugs coming out of my wooden floor, see image. They have ...
  A: Fero, This is a booklouse (psocid). They are not related to true lice but rather feed on mold and ...
Landscaping8/7/2010
  Q: I'm going to be completing the landscaping at my home in Maricopa Arizona and want to use trees and ...
  A: Joe, In the desert anything that requires a lot of water will attract wildlife of all kinds. ...
Brown Recluse Infestation8/6/2010
  Q: Jack, Moved into a 2 story home three years ago this month. Previous owners said upon leaving that ...
  A: Jerry, You didn't say where you live but I'll assume that the spider has been correctly identified ...
Termite Bond Co Damaged Walls8/4/2010
  Q: We live in East Central Florida. Our 5 year termite bond renewal was scheduled for yesterday. They ...
  A: Beth, I'm not a building contractor so my expertise in this is limited. However, I do know that ...
Holes in Maple Doors7/29/2010
  Q: Our new home was completed in June 2008. We have maple doors stained and coated with polyurethane. ...
  A: Saverio, These are very likely lyctid powderpost beetles (see ...
house bugs7/28/2010
  Q: For about six months especially in the summer there are tiny black bugs that are in my house. They ...
  A: Renee, This sounds like pseudoscorpions because of the size and pincers. See ...
Springtails7/28/2010
  Q: I have recently discovered springtails in my kitchen, bathroom and by my front door. I understand ...
  A: Gina, I think you are correct on all counts. If the old rotting wood resembles soil, especially if ...
questions on fleas7/23/2010
  Q: I was hoping you could answer a few questions on fleas. We live in Los Angeles, and we have ...
  A: Tom, I don't normally recommend borate powder for fleas because there are better alternatives that ...
Ground-dwelling wasps/yellow jackets7/21/2010
  Q: i went into my backyard (in Woodstock, GA) the other day to find a number of odd spots - it looked ...
  A: Su, These are cicada killer wasps and despite their appearance and size they are relatively ...
tiny black ants7/19/2010
  Q: we bought a camp along black river lake in central louisiana, we have a boat dock that is covered ...
  A: Marty, Trying to control ants outdoors in Louisiana -- a tall order indeed! One problem will be ...
thing black bugs in shower, closet and bedrooms7/19/2010
  Q: I'm hoping you can help me out. I have these very narrow, flying black bugs all over the upstairs ...
  A: Wendy, Without a picture or more of a description I'm really only guessing but you may be ...
identify and treat insect pest7/18/2010
  Q: I have two bathrooms, one on top of the other, the walls with the sink share the wall with the ...
  A: L, "Small, dark colored insects that jump" - sounds like springtails or collembola. These enter ...
flying insects7/17/2010
  Q: I live in northern Georgia. Every night at exactly the same time (sun down) a swarm of insects ...
  A: Eileen, I can't tell you exactly what these are without a picture but they sound like a primitive ...
roaches, wasps, spiders7/16/2010
  Q: I am having problems with wasps entering my house. We can't find the nests and believe that they ...
  A: Sharon, I don't think foggers will work in this situation and could be hazardous. The best thing to ...
American Cockroach7/12/2010
  Q: please help me! I live in an old converted warehouse building in Brooklyn, NY. First, about 4 weeks ...
  A: Dori, Cockroaches are very common pests in older buildings, especially multi-family complexes. ...
Worm-like 'bug'7/10/2010
  Q: I believe that I am requesting identification of the same 'bug' as Mj from late 2009. Your last ...
  A: Chloe, This is related to a clothes moths. Some consider it a type of clothes moth. This one occurs ...
Bed Bugs ?7/10/2010
  Q: I have so questions regarding bed bugs!! Let me start by saying I am 8 months pregnant and I got a ...
  A: Danielle, I've been answering questions like your's for almost 20 years. I taught at a university ...
Identify Bug7/8/2010
  Q: Jack, I've been seeing a few of these bugs around my place lately and I wanted to know what they ...
  A: Angel, This is a wasp, probably in the family Sphecidae. Most of the sphecid wasps nest in the ...
Tropical rat mites7/5/2010
  Q: Family of four, I'm the only one reacting to these bites. I've only seen a handful, but have had ...
  A: Greg, I don't think this is a mite but I'm not sure exactly what it is. I don't see any characters ...
Carpenter ants7/5/2010
  Q: I found Terro Carpenter ant killer. Where can I find it and is it better than the Advance Carpenter ...
  A: Lizann, The Terro product is a general purpose spray insecticide rather than a bait. The Advance ...
Termidor7/4/2010
  Q: I have done research on Fipronil. Are the inert ingredients in Termidor safe? Are they toxic? I ...
  A: Carrie, Everyone's definitions of "safe" and "toxic" are different and since Termidor is a ...
tiny whitish bug with pinchers7/4/2010
  Q: I live in Ontario Canada & for the first time ever have had these tiny whitish coloured bugs appear ...
  A: Chris, Unfortunately this description does not match any of the usual culprits that bite or sting. ...
tiny worms in shower6/30/2010
  Q: I have a two piece shower and bath tub. The walls meet the tub and no caulking is needed its suppose ...
  A: Tina, Let's try to figure out what these worms are so we have a better idea how to proceed. Can you ...
Daddy LongLegs6/29/2010
  Q: Daddy Long Legs are 'gathering' by a huge number on my brick wall. I live in Arkansas if that ...
  A: Carole, What most people call "daddy longlegs", or "harvestmen", belong to a group of arthropods ...
drilling sound in ceiling6/24/2010
  Q: Mr. DeAngelis, I have been hearing a drilling sound in my ceiling near my front door entrance for a ...
  A: Robet, Termites don't make any sound except perhaps during nuptial flights and carpenter bees are ...
Roaches6/23/2010
  Q: and thank you for volunteering for this service. I am seeing evidence of cockroaches, and some ...
  A: Mike, Where do you live? We generally only see roaches outdoors in warm climates like the ...
Straw Itch Mite problem stemming from previous flea probem6/21/2010
  Q: I was hoping to never have to ask you another question, but unfortunately, we seem to have an ...
  A: Lynn, The term "itch mite" generally refers to mites in the genus Pymotes, a group that is ...
Bees6/17/2010
  Q: For a week now I have been trying to get rid of some bees that have been hanging in a storage area ...
  A: Karen, These bees may only be resting between migratory flights and will move on in a few days. If ...
Pantry Moths6/17/2010
  Q: ! HELP!!! Damn pantry moths. No source in food at all....recently moved into this house...very ...
  A: Jenna, I think the mice may be the problem. Mice often store seeds and grains inside walls which ...
ant spray smell in wall6/16/2010
  Q: On April 6, 2010 we had to have our sliding glass door taken out and put back in (we were having ...
  A: Lisa, You should not be able to smell the insecticide this long after application because once the ...
holes in dirt6/15/2010
  Q: I live in Yuma AZ and I keep finding holes in dirt that appear to be inward cone shaped. I have had ...
  A: Connie, These may be the pit traps made by antlions (Neuroptera). See ...
Abundance of Spiders6/13/2010
  Q: My mom and I have noticed a lot of these big (to us) black spiders around our house. We live in ...
  A: Amber, Unfortunately spiders are notoriously difficult to identify by photo alone. Except for a few ...
mites6/12/2010
  Q: Recently, what I thought was a rash on my knees & elbows was diagnosed by my doctor as mites. Very ...
  A: Christine, I'm not sure what kind of mite your doctor was referring do. Did you get a more specific ...
bed bugs inside a mattress?6/12/2010
  Q: is it possible for bed bugs to be inside a mattress and not just on the outside around the ...
  A: Peter, I think it is unlikely that a bed bug could get inside a mattress cover that was undamaged. ...
Spider Deterrants6/11/2010
  Q: We have a vacation home on a lake in SC and there is a proliferation of spiders of many kinds. When ...
  A: John, Mothballs are made from some pretty toxic material (see ...
Black ant mounds on lawn6/8/2010
  Q: How can I deal with black ant mounds on my lawn? This has been an ongoing problem for the last few ...
  A: Michael, I think ant bait would work better than boiling water. Ant bait is sprinkled over ...
termite tenting6/7/2010
  Q: I am leasing a house built in the 40's that is about to be tented for termite fumigation due to ...
  A: Teresa, Tenting and fumigating for structural insect pests is a fairly complicated and dangerous ...
Wood roach or german roach6/7/2010
  Q: A few years ago we started finding roaches in our house. Not very many but one was enough for my ...
  A: Billy, Without seeing the roaches I can't really be sure but my guess is the exterminator is ...
unknown bug bites/ itchy rash6/4/2010
  Q: 2 months ago i woke up with fever and extremely itchy swollen back of neck, the flue like symptoms ...
  A: Sara, Neither silverfish nor grain beetles bite. In fact very few insects or mites actually bite ...
moths6/3/2010
  Q: We have recently moved and packed my clothes in a suitcase and have just unpacked it and one of my ...
  A: Tania, From your description I think it is unlikely that clothes moths caused the damage. Clothes ...
Pillbugs/woodlice in the home6/2/2010
  Q: Jack, I am having a problem with woodlice (or pillbugs as they are also known) getting into my ...
  A: Robert, Most of the time when these enter homes it is because the outside soil is too wet or too ...
"stored product beetles".6/2/2010
  Q: You answered my e-mail and thought it was a "stored product beetles". We don't have any thing in the ...
  A: Still looks like a stored product beetle, possibly mealworm or black fungus beetle. The grain could ...
small insect with wings6/2/2010
  Q: I find this type of small insect with wings in my lower level of an embankment ranch every spring in ...
  A: Kathy, This is a beetle, probably one of what are called "stored product beetles". I can't see ...
catepillars in my house5/30/2010
  Q: The have long antennas and have many legs. mostly they are in my bathtub or around that area. now i ...
  A: Julie, How large are these critters? You might look at the pictures of carpet beetles on this page ...
tropical rat mites5/27/2010
  Q: I really need an expert on mites. I had a pest guy come out and inspect my house... my boyfriend ...
  A: Catyanna, Tropical rat mites belong to a group of mites that infest the nests of rodents and birds. ...
what is this?5/27/2010
  Q: 9-2-09 you had a question from "Sue" regarding a 3 segmented, curly q antennae, strong hind legged, ...
  A: Diane, I can't find the 9-2-09 Q&A (copy and paste if you post a follow up) but what you describe ...
jumping bugs5/23/2010
  Q: On 9/2/09, you were asked a question about ant-like jumping insects. Do you know if an answer was ...
  A: Jennifer, The original questioner was never able to post a picture (can you?). This is almost ...
carpet beetles5/22/2010
  Q: Please help! As a person who is close to terrified of any insect, even ones most people like such ...
  A: Megan, From your description of the "split shell" these are a type of beetle. There are about a ...
Persistent fleas in a non-pet home5/19/2010
  Q: I need a flea investigator. We 've lived in our new home since Januaru 2010, and by early February, ...
  A: Lynn, This does not really sound like a flea problem. Tell me why you believe fleas caused the ...
ants5/18/2010
  Q: I have what I believe are sugar ants. They are super small, and sort of elongated and reddish, but ...
  A: Lys, The term "sugar ants" is a general term for small ants that invade homes, it usually does not ...
bed bugs - dont plastic wrap mattress?5/16/2010
  Q: someone said not to encase the mattress with plastic and packaging tape because the seal just wont ...
  A: Peter, I don't think encasing the mattress will hurt anything but it might not help either. If bed ...
Roaches Spiders5/14/2010
  Q: Iím getting some roaches/spiders in living room, bedroom, kitchen. House about 1700 sf, single story ...
  A: Don, Lots of good questions here and I'm glad you asked about the "electronic/ultrasonic ...
House centipedes and large brown spiders5/14/2010
  Q: We just bought our house and moved in about 8 months ago. When we first moved in, we frequently saw ...
  A: Dee, The best way to get rid of spiders indoors is with sticky traps, not insecticides. Sticky ...
Bed bugs!5/12/2010
  Q: So, it appears that we have bedbugs. For the past 2 weeks, I've been getting bitten up in the night, ...
  A: Christine, I don't think you can assume that you have bed bugs given these conditions. The best ...
house ants5/12/2010
  Q: Our property is home to many different kinds of ants. Our 1/2 acre is 1/2 woods ~ our home is old ...
  A: Nancy, Infestations of ants can occur in any room in the house, sometimes they are looking for food ...
Possible fly pupae5/7/2010
  Q: We just bought a used car. I noticed yesterday 2 flies stuck in there when I went for lunch. I let ...
  A: Valerie, Can you describe the flies a bit more. Do they look like house flies? I think it is ...
caterpillars in my air conditioner5/4/2010
  Q: I have white with a black stripe on their back caterpillars coming out of my air conditioner. How ...
  A: Ferlene, Can you post a picture? Caterpillars don't live in air conditioners (is this a window-type ...
kill insects5/2/2010
  Q: I work in a fresh-cut lettuce factory. What is the ways for killing insects, specially worms in ...
  A: Marjan, Insect pests of vegetable crops are usually controlled in the fields where the vegetables ...
old house borers4/26/2010
  Q: ..I bought a log home in aug. last year. A pest control co. was hired to do a "wood destroying ...
  A: Carl, The best way to tell old and inactive from new and active is the presence of boring dust. ...
Termites4/25/2010
  Q: Greetings from Sydney Australia! Anyhow.. I have a termite problem over here that is really busting ...
  A: Rob, Sounds like you're having fun. I'll assume you are asking about subterranean termites ("subs") ...
Flies in the chimney4/20/2010
  Q: Over the last two years we have had flies hatching out in our chimney. In the last couple of days ...
  A: Tomas, Have you had these flies identified? If we know what kind of flies they are this may tell us ...
powder post beetles4/7/2010
  Q: In October we bought a new fore closed home and saw a couple of places in the hardwood floors that ...
  A: Kathy, Powderpost beetle infestations in hardwood floors are fairly common and if they are not too ...
termite tenting4/7/2010
  Q: we live in a townhouse that has connecting walls with 3 other units. these residents have had their ...
  A: Becky, I don't have any contacts in that area so I would start with the Entomology Department at UC ...
termites4/6/2010
  Q: I live in San Diego about 3/4 miles from the ocean. My house is stucco and 13 years old. It is my ...
  A: Rich, There are two main kinds of termites that damage homes in your area. Drywood termites (see ...
Wasps4/4/2010
  Q: My daughter and self have a phobia of wasps,and any kind of bee. I have a problem with wasps ...
  A: Sherri, Many different wasps build nests on the outside of buildings. Most are harmless paper wasps ...
drywood termites3/31/2010
  Q: Jack I got fumigation treatment from dry-wood termites in June 2009 and today (March 2010) I found ...
  A: Tatsiana, I need a little more information. Was the house covered in a tent and fumigated last year ...
Miner bees3/30/2010
  Q: I live in Tennessee. I have been told that i have miner bees. My entire front yard is a mass of ...
  A: Jeff, Let's make sure we are talking about the same insect. Miner bees look like bumble bees but ...
fruit flies3/29/2010
  Q: i read the last question regarding fruit flies. i believe they r. we only see them in kitchen and ...
  A: Brian, Fruit flies, or vinegar flies (Drosophila spp), are small brown flies often with red colored ...
Need some pest control!3/25/2010
  Q: I have recently (beginning this spring) noticed about one wasp a day inside the home. I am ...
  A: Linda, The wasps are probably emerging from winter dormancy in the walls and attic. There are no ...
tiny black bug3/25/2010
  Q: just recently I have found 2 tiny bugs in my bed. They are black with a little bit of brown. They ...
  A: Stephanie, There are only a few insects that hop or jump when disturbed. Fleas are the most common ...
Bugs?3/22/2010
  Q: We are finding foam "shavings" inside our florida room. The room is basically metal framework with a ...
  A: A, These foam shavings are probably from carpenter ants building a nest in the foam insulation. ...
carpet beetle?3/20/2010
  Q: I was cleaning my daughter's room the other day and I noticed these small black insects with yellow ...
  A: Elsa, This is a varied carpet beetle (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for ...
What is a Chigger3/20/2010
  Q: hat is a Chigger and what kind of animals can get them. Are they an issue to humans? If untreated ...
  A: Nathan, Chiggers are tiny, red larval mites that bite and cause itchy, red lesions. They occur in ...
Worm-like larvae3/18/2010
  Q: We had a yellow jacket nest exterminated (6/09) that was built towards the top and on the outside of ...
  A: Ann, Could you post a picture of the larvae? There's lots of insects that fit this description. I ...
Mites infestation3/18/2010
  Q: We have mites infestation. How do you get rid of them?. they are all over the house and on the ...
  A: Ken, Are you sure these mites? There are many things that mimic insect or mite bites and when you ...
Tiny ants in kitchen3/14/2010
  Q: We have trouble getting rid of tiny black ants in kithen counter tops since the weather has warmed ...
  A: Lee, If the ants are accepting (feeding on) the Terro I'd keep using it. There's nothing that you ...
Ants in the House3/11/2010
  Q: The last couple weeks I have been seeing some what I beleive are carpenter ants in the house. They ...
  A: Scott, Any ant that is larger than about 3/8" is probably one of the carpenter ants, at least in ...
Heat Remediation to kill Bed Bugs?3/10/2010
  Q: How effective is Heat Remediation to kill bed bugs?
  A: Kent, Tell me what you mean by heat remediation, what would you actually do? The application of ...
wasps3/4/2010
  Q: In April, 2009, we moved into a log home we built. Some of the wood laid outside from July, 2008, ...
  A: Kathy, It is not unusual to find insects in newly built homes. When houses are enclosed during the ...
termites in backyard2/21/2010
  Q: I have found termite evidence in the redwood fence separating my backyard neighbor's house and mine. ...
  A: Antonio, This type of termite builds its colony in the soil on some type of wood and then expands ...
worm like bug2/12/2010
  Q: I found the same bug that MJ was asking about (ref: ...
  A: gh, The image that MJ posted is a casemaking clothes moth. There are different species, some look ...
DIY Terminte Control2/9/2010
  Q: We have an occupied rental house (brick with wood trim)located in north GA, built in 1955. We just ...
  A: Leamon, Termite control can be a do-it-yourself project but it requires considerable time and ...
Caterpillar invasion in basement2/7/2010
  Q: In the last month (Feb in Boston, MA) we've had several of the caterpillars as seen in the attached ...
  A: Dan, I can't see enough detail to id it. However, mid-winter in Boston is an unusual time to find ...
bathroom bugs1/25/2010
  Q: I live on the 4th floor of a condo in downtown toronto and I keep finding these little bugs in my ...
  A: Ryan, This is a firebrat. It is a primitive, wingless insect (see ...
unknown pest1/22/2010
  Q: We have had these unknown pests in our toilets/bathrooms in Manila (Philippines) for several months, ...
  A: Daniel, What you are describing is a casemaking clothes moth larva (see ...
flesh flies1/17/2010
  Q: I have not seen any other flies around my home,then I saw these larger flies and slower moving. I ...
  A: Sylvia, Flesh flies, or sarcophagids, are large, dark colored flies covered with stiff bristles. ...
Carpenter Ant Contract1/17/2010
  Q: When we purchased our house five years ago the owner transferred a carp.ant contract to us. We have ...
  A: Lou, I'm very skeptical of these contracts and in fact never suggest that folks sign long-term ...
powder post beetle1/14/2010
  Q: We recently bought a home in Miami, where humidity is constant. This house was newly built and the ...
  A: Aimee, While whole house fumigation is generally safe if done correctly it is not a procedure I ...
wasps1/7/2010
  Q: my wife found a wasp in the bathroom, since it's Jan 2010 and the temp is 21, up here in maine, she ...
  A: Paul, Two possibilities - either this is a lone overwintering yellowjacket queen that found its way ...
Carpenter ants1/6/2010
  Q: Dr. DeAngelis, Any advice on how to locate the nest? We've just recently started seeing carpenter ...
  A: Paul, Normally with carpenter ants it is not necessary to locate the nest. In fact, there's really ...
mites1/5/2010
  Q: I have been plagued by mites for about 6 months. I've gotten rid of most of my possessions, house, ...
  A: Beth, I'm a bit puzzled by this because there are no mites that I'm aware of that do what you are ...
chemical control against ants1/3/2010
  Q: to protect a farm of cedar trees from ants do i apply the insecticide on the trees or around ...
  A: Pedro, Tell me why the ants need to be controlled because ants are not normally plant pests. Are ...
Termidor and children12/27/2009
  Q: My husband and I are looking to excavate an old home/property that has termites. We are being told ...
  A: Donna, Termidor is one of the new generation insecticides that is widely used for termites and ...
Micro Intruders12/18/2009
  Q: In one bedroom of my house, I notice small bugs making their way along the crease where the wall ...
  A: Chuck, These sound like grain mite, also called mold mites. The mites are clear to amber in color ...
hopping biting bugs12/18/2009
  Q: I live in Houston Texas and we have no carpeting. But on the 2nd floor of our home we have ...
  A: Keath, Could you post a photo of the "long black bugs"? There are no insects or mites of that ...
American cockroach control12/17/2009
  Q: We live in north Georgia . We have had an unusually wet spring, summer, and fall, in our area. Now ...
  A: Ernest, In semi-topical climates like yours it is sometimes necessary to control cockroaches ...
Warehouse Beetle12/15/2009
  Q: I have been finding these little bugs I looked at a bug chart and it look like a warehouse beetle ...
  A: Maricela, There are a variety of beetles (including warehouse beetles) that as a group are called ...
Identify Bug12/11/2009
  Q: Jack, I've been seeing a few of these bugs around my condo, the one in the photo is about 4mm long. ...
  A: Angel, This is a larva of a dermestid beetle, sometimes called carpet beetles. Dermestid beetles ...
Cocoons + caterpillars + spiders12/10/2009
  Q: DeAngelis, I see a little caterpillar-like insect crawling on my wall as I write this message. It ...
  A: Julie, I think there's a couple of different things going on which may or may not be related to ...
in response to....12/2/2009
  Q: sacramento,ca.***not myself,actually...terminex man said"theres termites in your fence,but they can ...
  A: Petar, The photo never made it. The statement about termites traveling 150' sounds like marketing ...
termites/stucco below grade/planter boxes against wall12/1/2009
  Q: possible subterranean termite infestation)(house built in late 1950's)( have below grade ...
  A: Petar, Post a follow up and tell where you are (city/state). Have you found live termites or ...
Wool Blanket Larvae on bed11/24/2009
  Q: My girlfriend and I discovered tiny larvae-like creatures on the top of the quilt on our bed but ...
  A: David, Your description does not really sound like any kind of dermestid or carpet beetle larvae. ...
Very tiny caterpillar type bug on my walls11/20/2009
  Q: I have been finding extremely small caterpillar type bugs on my walls. They are black and brown and ...
  A: Kristen, This sounds like dermestid larvae. Here's a picture ...
What are these long worm like things???11/15/2009
  Q: We live in the DFW TX area and about a month ago I found a bunch of very thin, clear or ...
  A: Michelle, Don't be concerned about these, they are called horsehair worms and are harmless. The ...
small flying bugs11/10/2009
  Q: I live in fort worth tx and have a small, black, flying bug that is all over the outside of my ...
  A: Shawn, The picture is a bit too small to see clearly but the shape is that of an insect called a ...
maggots11/9/2009
  Q: We live in Florida and we turn off our A/AC and I notice a foul smell coming from my closet and my ...
  A: Justo, I can't tell for sure what is pictured in the photo because it is blurry. Could you post a ...
tiny ants by sink/dishwasher/on cupboard11/7/2009
  Q: I have purchased ant bait for sugar and protein ants. It keeps them away for two weeks and then they ...
  A: Diana, I think one of the problems may be the Demand Insecticide. Demand is a good material but in ...
wood borers11/6/2009
  Q: what kind of bug/worm? bores holes in wood the size of a pencil lead and piles the sawdust on top of ...
  A: Stacey, This is a perfect description of a powderpost beetle. The holes and sawdust are made when ...
small ants in basement11/4/2009
  Q: i have an old farm house with a field stone basement wall (that leaks like a siv). this morning i ...
  A: Shawn, There are hundreds of species of ants most of which are small and nest in the soil. Your ...
fleas in house11/3/2009
  Q: How do I get rid of fleas on furniture that cannot be put in washing machines? Is vacuming everyday ...
  A: Amy, Normal vacuuming is sufficient to kill fleas. Be sure to dispose of the dust bag since it may ...
bugs on roll of tape11/2/2009
  Q: we found this roll of tape in my office on the desk- can you help us identify these bugs? thanks!
  A: Carey, These are called aphids and they feed on plants. There are both winged aphids and wingless ...
abandoned wasp nest in house wall11/1/2009
  Q: We came home mid august after being away for 6 weeks. I discovered wasps entering at junction of ...
  A: Richard, Yes. It is entirely possible that you are smelling the decomposing nest. Nests might ...
Ants in our houseplants!10/30/2009
  Q: help! we have ants in our houseplants!!! they are small black ants, in the south we call them ...
  A: Kayla, Small ants like these often build their nests in the pots of house plants because as the ...
termite bonds10/28/2009
  Q: I realized this year that we forgot to renew the bond that was on our house when we bought it 5 ...
  A: Sarah, I'll need to know where you live (state) because termite control varies greatly by region. ...
Mite infestation10/27/2009
  Q: Recently Iíve been noticing small mites on the surface of my desk and more or less everywhere about ...
  A: Steven, From your description I think these are one of two critters and both are related to the ...
Cockroaches10/27/2009
  Q: Obviously I don't keep my microwave ovens clean enough because roaches keep taking up residence in ...
  A: Jo, Is this a single family home or some type of commercial building like a restaurant? Cockroaches ...
insect issue10/25/2009
  Q: I have a ton of these little insects around the front of my house. They manage to get into the ...
  A: Randy, These are called boxelder bugs. They are very common nuisance pests in some areas. ...
Bombing due to roaches10/24/2009
  Q: How long do I have to wait to vacuum my carpet once the pest control person has bombed the town ...
  A: Tosha, If by "bombing" you mean that a total release-type aerosol insecticide was used then you can ...
Pantry Moths10/24/2009
  Q: We have what I have identified as pantry moths. I have literally tossed every bit of food in the ...
  A: Adrienne, I think what you may be seeing is the last of the adult moths that emerged from your ...
bed bugs please help10/22/2009
  Q: I think I have bed bugs. I recently got hand me down furniture and now I think we have bed bugs. I ...
  A: Christine, The first thing to do is to confirm that bed bugs are the problem. The only way to be ...
wasps in fireplace/chimney10/21/2009
  Q: We have had a wasp infestation and problem coming from our fireplace since we moved in 8 years ago ...
  A: Angel, A couple of questions - do you get wasps coming out of all three fireplaces every year? Have ...
Possible bed bugs10/19/2009
  Q: I hope you can help ease my mind. I am fearing that I may have bed bugs. I live in a single ...
  A: Maggie, Whatever is causing the blood on the bedding it probably is not from bed bug bites. Bed bug ...
Paper wasps in my home10/17/2009
  Q: We have recently been seeing what I believe are paper wasps in the second story of our house. They ...
  A: Jamine, If you live in a part of the country that freezes in winter the problem will probably ...
pesticide10/15/2009
  Q: You were so helpful with my swarming insect problem. Can you tell me what is the best pesticide to ...
  A: Kay, There are a lot of options for treating termites and most are beyond the capability of ...
insects10/14/2009
  Q: Last night my grandson took a shower in our hall bathroom. When he came out, there were tiny ...
  A: Kay, A couple more questions. Are you sure they have wings? If so, are the wings white or clear? ...
black widow spiders10/14/2009
  Q: we have a black widow in garages and we need to know how to KILL them. have heard they have an ...
  A: Kim, Black widow spiders are susceptible to insecticides. However since this spider is very ...
yellow jackets10/13/2009
  Q: Jack, I have yellow jackets entering into the walls of my Michigan home behind my front porch light. ...
  A: Sheri, Most yellowjacket nests are annual meaning that they start in spring and die off in late ...
skin mites10/11/2009
  Q: I can relate to a previous question about skin or bird mites. I am experiencing the same symptoms. I ...
  A: Cindy, I'm not sure what you mean by "skin mites". There are only a few mites that bite people. ...
Can you ID?10/9/2009
  Q: Can you please tell me what this mystery bug is that I caught crawling out of the heat vent? Thank ...
  A: Michelle, These are silverfish. They are primitive, wingless insects that are fairly common ...
Small black worms in basement stairs10/5/2009
  Q: We live up north and have recently noticed small dark brown or black worms curled up in the basement ...
  A: Bob, These sound like millipedes which feed on organic matter in the soil and are harmless. If you ...
invinsible spiders10/4/2009
  Q: I've been living in this house for about 5 months now. Ever since I moved in here, I've been having ...
  A: Elsa, Your question raises a couple of excellent points. First, most entomologists (people who ...
Ants in Pet food9/28/2009
  Q: My EDD (engineering design and development) project consists of finding a problem that has to do ...
  A: Thomas, I think most people will opt for keeping ants out of the house altogether rather than just ...
Cockroaches9/27/2009
  Q: im live in spain and moved to a diferent apartment in feb this year.. have ended up with an ...
  A: Carla, Cockroach infestations are very common in any multi-family building. Older buildings are ...
Tiny black bugs that bite!9/27/2009
  Q: I just read the story by Mazis on 08/21/09, and her story sounded exactly like what I have been ...
  A: Nancy, No-see-ums are also called biting midges. These tiny flies bite and feed on blood much like ...
stubborn ant problem9/24/2009
  Q: I live in Los Angeles. I have had problems with rodents, but never with ants, until now. Starting ...
  A: Roger, What you are describing is a textbook example of a nuisance ant problem. The ants (there are ...
Larvae Formations9/24/2009
  Q: We live in central TN and found these larvae formations around our driveway after heavy rains. ...
  A: Shannon, Good picture. Did you get a close up? These are called fungus gnat larvae and they are ...
Very tiny black bugs9/22/2009
  Q: We just moved into our home a few months ago. We've noticed these very tiny black bugs. (about the ...
  A: Allison, A couple of questions ... since they don't appear to fly does this mean that the ones that ...
Re: large flea-like insects9/21/2009
  Q: I periodically find these large flea-like things in my downstairs bathroom where the cat box is ...
  A: Deborah, I think these are a type of brine shrimp. Do you live near an inland saltwater lake such ...
fleas in home we are buying9/21/2009
  Q: going through the process of buying a home & the home inspector noticed bite marks on the back of ...
  A: Deryl, Fleas can remain in a home after all pets are removed and bite people. The good news is that ...
dug up lawn9/20/2009
  Q: This morning I noticed an area about 6 x 12 that was dug up. I have the feeling that it is grubs. ...
  A: John, I assume you mean 6x12 inches. Two things are common in this situation. Birds will dig up ...
Ground bees or wasps9/19/2009
  Q: The past two weeks, I noticed a hole in my lawn where yellow jackets were flying in and out.l The ...
  A: Mark, Yellowjacket (Vespidae) nests are often attacked and dug up by skunks and other animals. In ...
What are they?9/18/2009
  Q: I have these bugs around dusty areas in my room (like under my monitor, behind the desk and other ...
  A: Angel, Good picture. These are called psocids, or barklice, or booklice. They are not related to ...
lawn earth mounds9/17/2009
  Q: Ok here goes. I live near Ottawa, Canada. About 1 month ago, earth mounds, roughly 10" in ...
  A: Leo, These are too big to be insect-related in any way. My guess is this is a fungus. There are a ...
I want to relocate the bee hives outside my house9/17/2009
  Q: I have a couple hives outside my house and I don't want to kill the bees. I would like to relocate ...
  A: Mike, If these are honey bees you can ask a local beekeeper to move the hives. Contact your local ...
Do I have termites?9/16/2009
  Q: I found about a dozen termites flying around a lamp. I called a pest control company and they ...
  A: Tim, The first question I have is do you live in an area where drywood termites are found? Take a ...
Ants9/15/2009
  Q: Jack, I need to reclaim my yard I think. Over the course of the past few weeks my children have ...
  A: Melanie, There are only two ants in the US that causes any sort of injury when they sting or bite ...
Stink Bugs...Help!9/14/2009
  Q: I am seeing stink bugs around the outside of my house each day and the number seems to be ...
  A: Microencapsulted is an older term that referred to a type of insecticide formulation that was sort ...
Sealing up wasp nests9/13/2009
  Q: Simply, I've got a wasp nest that is concealed inside an exterior wall of my house and it's in a ...
  A: Joe, Once the weather turns cold the nest will die and be abandoned unless it is one of the ...
yellowjackets9/11/2009
  Q: Last summer I had a bee control guy spray a yellow jacket nest that was in the exterior wall of the ...
  A: Bill, I think there may be two different things going on. The yellowjacket wasp colony produces ...
Dry wood Termite9/7/2009
  Q: We recently bought a house in Katy, Texas. The previous owner didn't disclose any termite issue, and ...
  A: Flora, I don't think it should matter what time of the year you do structure fumigation for drywood ...
Indian Meal Moths9/6/2009
  Q: What happens if a person, dog or bird accidently eats Indian Meal Moths, their larvae or their ...
  A: Sally, There's no danger whatsoever in eating meal moth larvae. Insect larvae of all types are ...
tiny bug strong bite9/5/2009
  Q: I'm trying to identify a bug that gave me a very painful bite tonight. I was in Connecticut, ...
  A: Nancy, I think you probably encountered a thrips. Thrips (the name thrips is always plural) are ...
Tiny Tiny insects9/4/2009
  Q: DeAngelis, My name is Susan and I live in Chicago, IL. It's been almost one month these insects ...
  A: Susan, I can't see much detail in the photo but your description sounds like a springtail, also ...
getting rid of sandwasps at campsite9/2/2009
  Q: i have a campsite in Maine the whole area is covered in sandwasp nests how do i get rid of them
  A: Bill, I'm not sure there's anything you can do in the short-term (this season). Long-term anything ...
jumping ant-like insect9/2/2009
  Q: We came home to find a sudden infestation on the vertical blinds at our sliding doors. The insects ...
  A: Sue, This one has me stymied. I'd like to see a picture but your best bet may be to take a few to ...
Wasp removal from attic8/31/2009
  Q: I have a large wasp nest in my attic. These are orange/red wasps. I was planning to spray it with ...
  A: Scott, If the attic is vented this should not be a concern. However, for future reference there are ...
tiny black bug8/30/2009
  Q: We have tiny black bugs that are smaller than what we call 'piss' ants, but they are black and a ...
  A: Lilly, I think these are in fact ants. There are some very small species of ants that occur ...
Bugs at Porch Light8/28/2009
  Q: Is there any way to keep bugs away from a porch light without using a yellow bulb or a bug zapper? ...
  A: Ron, The short answer is the sonic "pest repellers" don't work, indoors or outside. Here's an ...
tiny caterpillar8/26/2009
  Q: This is the second time this summer that we have found a tiny caterpillar crawling on our sheets. ...
  A: Chris, This is a beetle larva, rather than moth larva, possibly a dermestid beetle. Dermestid ...
flea control8/25/2009
  Q: we recently moved and discovered fleas on our dogs. we have lived in the same complex for 6 years ...
  A: Timothy, Let me make a couple points before answering your questions. First, Frontline Plus is very ...
termite treatment issues8/24/2009
  Q: ... So.. here the long and short of it. A while back my home was treated for termites. My living ...
  A: Sam, I don't know if there's any liability here, it would depend on your state laws. I'd contact ...
Fleas8/21/2009
  Q: I recently removed my dog from our home because of his flea problem after flea baths and collars. My ...
  A: Mazis, I'm not sure where to begin but I can tell you that there are no insects and mites that fit ...
Mites?8/21/2009
  Q: How do I get rid of Mites? Is using store bought bug bombs every week going to poison me? I am going ...
  A: Lynn, I'm very sorry you are having these problems. First, and most importantly, applying more ...
Preventative termite treatments8/20/2009
  Q: I have a policy for subterranean termites with a pest management company. The footprint of my home ...
  A: Kim, I'm not aware of any plan to cancel Termidor in Florida or anywhere else. I think this ...
Bedbugs8/18/2009
  Q: I would like some advice with some findings in my home. They have appeared in my dining room, which ...
  A: Dannii, It is hard to say what these are without a picture but they are probably not bed bugs. You ...
Blue Black Wasp8/17/2009
  Q: Can you help us indentify and exterminate a blue black wasp approximately 2" in length which is ...
  A: Paul, This is a digger wasp (family Sphecidae) and here's a wikipedia page ...
identification of wormlike bug8/16/2009
  Q: Would you try to identify this worm/bug for me please. I have found these one centimeter grey, thin ...
  A: Mj, I'm not sure about this id so post a picture if you can. However, your description sounds like ...
Fumigated Car8/14/2009
  Q: I recently got paranoid over a spider bite on my leg. I read George Manning's post on fumigating a ...
  A: Jasmine, I don't know who George is and I wouldn't recommend that foggers or "bombs" be used this ...
Dust Mites8/11/2009
  Q: We have dust mites problems my mother wants to use a bug fogger or bug bomb will this work or is ...
  A: Thomas, Bug 'bombs" and foggers won't work for dust mites and they would definitely be a bad idea ...
Ground bees8/11/2009
  Q: I am avoiding a hole where I see bees going in and out. The hole looks like it was dug by bees. ...
  A: Fred, What most people call "ground bees" are ground-nesting wasps in the family Vespidae ...
bird mites8/9/2009
  Q: I think my dog is itching all the time because of mites. I have not found any fleas on her. I ...
  A: Mel, I really doubt that what you describe is a bird mite problem. Bird mites are only found in ...
ants8/6/2009
  Q: i am being besieged with ants. admittedly, we live on ant hill [palos verdes, ca], and thus, ...
  A: J, It sounds like you have a large nest inside the wall or ceiling. While most ants nest in the ...
paper wasps8/5/2009
  Q: We live in the woods and have a large pond in our backyard that is visited constantly throughout the ...
  A: Kathy, I think what you are experiencing is actually a relatively new species of non-native paper ...
Is this a roach?8/5/2009
  Q: I found this "bug" in my bedroom. It was crawling on the bottom side of my computer desk. I don't ...
  A: Kristy, I can't be sure because the specimen is distorted but this could be a cockroach, perhaps a ...
little brown bug8/4/2009
  Q: we keep finding these little brown beetle, bug in our house. Mainly on the bed, carpet and other ...
  A: Krista, This is a beetle, possibly the anobiid cigarette beetle. These beetles feed on dry food ...
book lice??8/4/2009
  Q: , I have,what |I think and have been told,booklice in my home. I found them one day last week under ...
  A: Libby, Booklice or psocids (not related to true lice) are very common insects that feed on fungi ...
bugs in kitchen and bathroom7/31/2009
  Q: I live in a very old home in north Texas (hour north of Dallas) and I have recently had a large ...
  A: Austin, These are not springtails (which are much smaller). The picture is too fuzzy to see much ...
Termite Prevention7/26/2009
  Q: We purchased our home, newly built, 2 years ago. There is quite a bit of construction going on ...
  A: Vivian, Flying termites are very common at certain times of the year and would not be related to ...
brown insect pest7/25/2009
  Q: For the past month I've been seeing this creature about my home (a third floor, 40-year old ...
  A: Gary, This is a cockroach, probably the German cockroach Blattella germanica. These are very common ...
paper wasp nest7/22/2009
  Q: Its about the size of a football, i see black wasps (i think) flying in and out of it. I was ...
  A: Sam, There are two kinds of wasp nests. Paper wasps make nests that are "open", you can see ...
confused, palmetto bug7/18/2009
  Q: ok so here is what happened. i am staying with my mom in florida and my worst fear came true, ...
  A: Brittany, First let me say that seeing 3 palmetto bugs, also called the American cockroach, in 5 ...
spiders7/15/2009
  Q: In the last two days I have noticed baby spiders on my ceilings in my bedroom (yuck!) and my front ...
  A: Jill, I'm not clear about the size. Are they "dust-like" or can you see individuals and are able to ...
tiny beetles7/15/2009
  Q: I just read a question asked by another person about cigarette beetles (I think that is what they ...
  A: Amy, Beetles that infest stored foods (there are a number of different species) can get into just ...
Flea-like bugs in kitchen & bathroom7/14/2009
  Q: I have flea-like bugs in the kitchen and around the bathtub. They are black and do indeed 'jump'. ...
  A: Heather, I doubt that these are fleas. If they were fleas you'd be getting flea bites and you ...
Bird Mites7/14/2009
  Q: I hope you can help me. My teenage daughter has a Love Bird in her bedroom which apparently has ...
  A: Connie, Flea foggers and other insecticides won't be very effective for bird mites. You need to ...
insect feces7/11/2009
  Q: I've noticed some black material in only one corner of my bathroom on the floor. It looks like tiny ...
  A: Paul, I don't know, obviously this could be a lot of things. A couple of suggestions, however: ...
Brown House Moth7/9/2009
  Q: For many months now, maybe since around Christmas, I have had a problem with what I think are brown ...
  A: Anna, Brown house moth is a very common household pest that feeds on a variety of natural materials ...
Single Cockroach Question7/9/2009
  Q: It's 2:14am where I am and it just took me 30 minutes to kill a 2-inch long cockroach (not including ...
  A: Nick, No need to panic (I know that doesn't help). This is an American cockroach and they are very ...
Dangers of pest control chemicals?7/7/2009
  Q: I currently have a pest control company come quarterly to the house and spray around the perimeter ...
  A: Michelle, The pest control companies don't like it when I say this but there's no good ...
bird mites7/7/2009
  Q: Its been 2 to 3 weeks since we removed a birds nest on the deck. Since the nest was moved we have ...
  A: Jessica, The short answer is that nest mites should not survive this long in the absence of their ...
Bug ID7/7/2009
  Q: Can you tell me what bug this is and what kills it? I have them all over my cement patio and on the ...
  A: Brian, These are called collembola, or springtails. They live in soil and feed on fungi and organic ...
Bites7/6/2009
  Q: I live in Los Angeles, CA. I have some sort of bites on my torso and thighs that are small and ...
  A: Marina, What you describe sounds like some type of allergic reaction or perhaps a chemical ...
getting rid of june bugs7/6/2009
  Q: We have a HUGE problem with June bugs. They are eating our trees, getting into our house and are ...
  A: Gretchen, There's probably not much you can do this year to reduce the number of beetles but if you ...
moving father7/5/2009
  Q: My father lives in a roach infested trailer and he is moving to clean assisted/independent living ...
  A: Kevin, The bed, chair and canned food can be surface-cleaned and will probably be ok. Since the ...
bed bug pesticide - effect on humans7/3/2009
  Q: Maybe 12 weeks ago we called in a pest control team. They sprayed all around the house, my pillow ...
  A: Charles, It is difficult to give advice in this situation because I don't know exactly what has ...
Termites unknowingly moved to another house7/3/2009
  Q: We are staying in an apartment presently where we have found the white slug like termites eating ...
  A: Tricia, I need some additional information to answer this question. Do you know which termite ...
Drain Flies in Crawl Space7/2/2009
  Q: We have drain flies, and the problem has become huge. We previously had some type of small flies ...
  A: Amy, This may be one of the few times I'd suggest using a fogger (total release aerosol ...
Odd bug invading our camper7/1/2009
  Q: We have been attacked by these odd bugs in our camper recently. We live in Mississippi and it has ...
  A: Debra, I think what you have here is a black soldier fly maggot. They are harmless (won't bite or ...
blue/black wasp7/1/2009
  Q: I live in southwest Louisiana in a double wide mobile home. Underneath my mobile homes skirting ...
  A: Carol, These are probably what's called pompilid wasps or spider wasps. These large wasps are able ...
Ceiling bug?6/30/2009
  Q: I just noticed a circle about the size of a quarter on my ceiling of these tiny black bugs. I wiped ...
  A: Katy, These are newly hatched lepidopteran (moth and butterfly) larvae. They are too small to ...
Unknown infestation6/30/2009
  Q: Very many small holes (the size of the head of a straight pin) have been appearing on my clothing ...
  A: Anita, What sort of fabric are the damaged clothes made from? Wool, silk, cotton, rayon, ...
Bunches of small grey excretions in my couch6/29/2009
  Q: I've noticed on a couple of occasions these small grey excretions (or what looks to be) in the back ...
  A: Renee, I'm not sure what this is but check above this spot for any sign of a hole that might be ...
Tiny black bugs in kitchen6/29/2009
  Q: I have noticed many black bugs slowly crawling in my pristine kitchen..floor, sink, counters. I ...
  A: Jan, I'd need a more complete description to be sure but these may be collembola, also called ...
bird mites6/28/2009
  Q: My boyfriend recently had some birds make a hole in the ceiling of his garage which is also the ...
  A: Lynn, Your diagnosis of bird mites (also called nest mites) is correct. Also, as you say the best ...
Can't identify fleas or gnats - help please6/24/2009
  Q: I have recently noticed a large number of insects on my dinging room floor. The floor is a wood ...
  A: Kandice, I can't enough detail in the image but from your description I think these are collembola, ...
wood insects6/23/2009
  Q: My mother lives in rural New Mexico and relies on wood for heat. Wood is kept in an enclosed wood ...
  A: V., This is the type of powderpost beetle that infests softwoods (like pine and cedar) rather than ...
Carpenter Ants AND Wasp Nest ID6/23/2009
  Q: I have a lake home in Northern MN and in an unattached garage, think I have Carpenter ants. I've ...
  A: Rosie, The continual presence of sawdust is a pretty good indication of an active carpenter ant ...
Re:Could they be gnats?6/23/2009
  Q: Outside my son's bedroom windows is a huge oak tree. Last year we had the tree trimmed because the ...
  A: Sandy, The first step is a capture a few of these gnats so someone can examine them under a ...
Bites6/23/2009
  Q: I just recently came back from a Deer Camp in the Hills of Vermont after spending a weekend there. I ...
  A: Carmen, I doubt that these are insect or mite bites. It is usually pretty easy to catch the culprit ...
identified miniscule pellets found several time on my bedsheets6/21/2009
  Q: Sunday, 20 june, 2009 NYC: As the subject matters outlines, I have found these tiny, ...
  A: J, Your best bet is to take your samples to the nearest Cooperative Extension (Cornell) office ...
Powder Post Beetle6/20/2009
  Q: I'm sorry I am asking for privacy, but as a furniture store owner, I just can't afford to post this ...
  A: Sharlene, When I've seen this done for drywood termites they used the torpedo-shaped propane ...
Termites6/18/2009
  Q: I have been informed that I have termites. I reside in NC. MY worries are if they have done any ...
  A: Cindy, Termite shelter tubes ("tunnels") usually don't appear inside homes unless the infestation ...
Termites - How long does it take to get rid of them?6/18/2009
  Q: I live in Northern Virigina. We found a major termite infestation in our basement this spring. We ...
  A: Cathy, Both insecticides that were used contain the active ingredient imidacloprid. This is a ...
carpenter ants6/18/2009
  Q: I bought a mobile home a year ago in a mobile home park in Michigan their are 2 huge mounds that ...
  A: Lori, Carpenter ants don't make mounds like other ants but instead nest above ground in cavities ...
Reddish Brown Cockroach about 2 inches long6/17/2009
  Q: This is question is similar to ones that I have read but different because I can't seem to find an ...
  A: Matthew, I think you are correct in your identification based on size alone. The general ...
Termidor6/16/2009
  Q: Recently I had my house treated for ants. The pest control company used termidor sc. They applied 2 ...
  A: Bill, I'm not aware of any particularly toxic aspect of Termidor. Consider that the active ...
Extremely tine black flying insects everywhere6/16/2009
  Q: Dr. DeAngelis my home is on Colorado and on several of my window screens I have sometimes hundreds ...
  A: N, I can't tell from your description exactly what insect this might be. If you are near a body of ...
Bugs6/14/2009
  Q: I was moving and found brown rice looking i think they are bugs I picked one up and squished it and ...
  A: Miendy, These sound like dermestid carpet beetles. Carpet beetles feed on all sorts of natural ...
worm bite?6/14/2009
  Q: I live in Rantoul Il. Every time i come back inside from a walk with my dog, i sit on the couch. i ...
  A: Eleena, I'm not sure what this is, however it is not a bed bug or dust mite. There are very few ...
Centipede-like Bugs6/13/2009
  Q: I live in Atlanta, GA and have been seeing small centipede-like bugs in my third story bathroom for ...
  A: Amber, Yes, a photo would help. You can attach it to a follow up question. There are centipedes ...
insects in the attic?6/10/2009
  Q: I live in NE Louisiana, house is about 30yrs old, brick. In the corner of the living room where the ...
  A: Linda, One of two different insects usually causes this type of sawdust in this situation. Look ...
Very tiny black ants (?) in kitchen6/9/2009
  Q: For the past few days, I have had very tiny black bugs that I think are ants. We called them "sugar ...
  A: Erin, All of these small house-infesting nuisance ants (there are many species) can usually be ...
termites underground6/9/2009
  Q: my neighbor had a termite infestation one day. She is under contract w/ a termite control company. ...
  A: Nancy, I'm not entirely sure what your question is but I think you are asking if the fence could ...
biting insect6/8/2009
  Q: I was wondering if you could help me identify a biting insect. It was so tiny i hardly noticed it, ...
  A: Angie, There are a number of small insects that normally prey on other small insects, and even some ...
Moths??6/8/2009
  Q: Last summer, I found many flying insects that I had not previously seen, in my home. When I smashed ...
  A: Connie, What you are describing are called clothes moths and there are a number of different ...
small flying bug with a painful bite6/8/2009
  Q: I live just outside of Boston and recently have noticed (indoors) tiny flying insects that give a ...
  A: Linda, Unfortunately your description does not match anything I'm familiar with. Your best bet may ...
Is this bug bad?6/6/2009
  Q: Could you please tell me what type of bug this is? It is all over my lambs ears. I am concerned that ...
  A: Margaret, This is a four-lined plant bug (Poecilocapsus lineatus, Miridae). These true bugs feed on ...
Termite Eradication6/4/2009
  Q: I love in Southern CA and have a drywood termite infestation that appears to have been "under ...
  A: Sara, In certain climates, such as Southern California, drywood termites can be very damaging. ...
flying ants or termites??6/4/2009
  Q: I live in MD. Around this time every year, ants come in to the house. We are used to seeing them and ...
  A: Jonathan, Let me answer your second question first. There are two types of pest inspectors - those ...
insect nest?5/31/2009
  Q: I just found a slight mound of yellow jelly-like substance, part way into the ground in our garden ...
  A: Margie, I think this is probably some type fungus rather than an insect nest. There are a number of ...
flies and septic tanks5/31/2009
  Q: Every spring, we can look at the back of our house, on the outside wall and see hundreds of little ...
  A: Lesa, Would it be possible to post a picture? There are many different flies that can aggregate ...
roach in the house ohmy!!5/30/2009
  Q: Jack, Thanks for your time. I live in a wooded area in PA. I have seen large roaches outside on ...
  A: Chris, There are many species of cockroaches but only a few enter homes and become pests. The pest ...
spiders5/28/2009
  Q: First, thank you for taking the time to read my question. I live in north Alabama and my house is ...
  A: Steven, My garage is the same way. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do. However, I've had ...
Small wormlike bug on bedroom wall5/28/2009
  Q: I found a bug I've never seen the like of before... The total length was about 1/3 inch, and the ...
  A: Su, Excellent description and drawing of a casemaking clothes moth larva. Unfortunately there can ...
Strange Flying Insect5/27/2009
  Q: I live in Southwestern Lower Michigan and we found this odd looking UFO in our office. We would ...
  A: Marcena, Sorry. It is a wasp. The long "stinger" is called an ovipositor and is used to place eggs ...
Strange Fly Situation5/26/2009
  Q: Never seent his type of fly. It is larger than an ordinary house fly. It is striped like grey/black ...
  A: Adrienne, There are lots of different flies that look like house flies, some a little larger, some ...
powder-post beetle fumigation5/26/2009
  Q: I have recently purchased a home and had a pest control inspection done in which the inspector ...
  A: Jose, This is a complicated question but I'll try to hit a few of the main points. Powderpost ...
bed bugs?5/25/2009
  Q: I'm trying to figure out if I might have bed bugs in my house (an apartment in dayton, oh). I been ...
  A: Kelly, There are a small number of insects that can cause this kind of reaction, including bed ...
grubs in lawn.5/24/2009
  Q: I have outside animals and cats and dogs. Is there something I can use on the yard to kill grubs ...
  A: Paul, Unfortunately many of these homemade remedies don't work very well and can actually damage ...
please help !!5/22/2009
  Q: I just moved to a new house which was built in the 30's in new york ... the past few nights i keep ...
  A: Lenny, There are only a very small number of insects and mites that actually bite people. Often ...
Weird Bugs5/17/2009
  Q: "I saw the question a woman asked about the bugs on the corner of her ceiling and I have the same ...
  A: Morgan, This is definitely not a bed bug. It is a beetle of some kind but I can't see it clearly ...
wood powder on the window frame5/17/2009
  Q: I noticed that wood powder on the window frame in the kitchen on the first floor. I cleaned it ...
  A: Jitendra, This is not termites but either powderpost beetles or carpenter ants. You didn't say how ...
black widow5/17/2009
  Q: ok, i know i'm going to sound paranoid, but when i went down to my basement today i swear to god i ...
  A: Sheila, Black widow spiders are very common in some regions but they are also very shy and almost ...
insect5/15/2009
  Q: in bathroom small silver silky insect very fast when moving
  A: Elaine, The only insect I can think that fits your description is a silverfish. Silverfish prefer ...
drain flies5/14/2009
  Q: We have had a problem with drain flies in our house for several years. We have tried the gels in ...
  A: Maureen, Drain flies, also called moth flies, develop in the organic "gunk" that forms in drains ...
Box Elder Bugs5/12/2009
  Q: After they invade your house to STAY through the winter, is there no way of getting rid of them ...
  A: Shannon, Unfortunately there are no good ways to get rid of boxelder bugs once they get into the ...
Fleas5/12/2009
  Q: Okay,, I have a very clean house, and I have NO Pets, yet I keep finding fleas in my bathroom ...
  A: Mike, Are you sure these are fleas? Take a look at this page ...
Clover mites5/5/2009
  Q: Our home is almost 3 years old and each year we have noticed an increase in clover mites on our ...
  A: Steph, Clover mites develop and feed on plants. The mites that enter homes often develop on the ...
OUTSIDE WORMS COMING INSIDE5/5/2009
  Q: I have one inch brown worms with lots tiny legs coming inside from outside. They only come inside ...
  A: Vicki, These are millipedes and they are harmless. They eat organic matter and have probably ...
Microscopic biting bugs5/1/2009
  Q: I keep going out in my yard and getting bitten by these teenie tiny little microscopic creatures. I ...
  A: Monica, There are a number of small insects that will bite (not sting) if they fly into us. There ...
caterpillars4/30/2009
  Q: I live in Corpus Christi, TX and recently i have been finding tiny brown worm like bug in the bed ...
  A: I need a bit more information. What's the difference between the "brown worm like bug" and the ...
Larder Beetles4/29/2009
  Q: I have done my research and found out that I have Larder Beetles in my apartment. Black beetles ...
  A: Tracy, Larder beetles like all "stored product" pests (insects like carpet beetles, meal moths, ...
Ants Chicago4/28/2009
  Q: I have a ento degree from Texas A&M but im unfamiliar with ants species population Chicago ...
  A: Kim Lee Sampson, Sounds like carpenter ants. Carpenter ants are the largest ants in that area. Take ...
RE: Wasp in my home4/28/2009
  Q: After arriving home from work I went to pick something up, in my living room not knowing there was a ...
  A: Melissa, I doubt that 70 degrees is cold enough to immobilize a wasp, however darkness is. When you ...
bed bugs4/25/2009
  Q: I recently moved into a half double that turns out to have bed bugs. I am a single mother on ...
  A: Jeszika, There may be a better way of managing the bed bugs (but heat is not a bad idea). Bed bugs ...
Tent Worm Caterpillars4/25/2009
  Q: I asked a question a couple weeks ago about being over run by some weird worm, and you asked for a ...
  A: Caryn, The safest way to treat young, feeding caterpillars in general is with a microbial ...
Bees4/20/2009
  Q: I have a patio made from 12X12 red bricks with sand between the brinks. There are bees or something ...
  A: Mary, There are many different solitary ground-nesting bees. Usually they pose no threat and most ...
termites4/19/2009
  Q: I am unsure if this is your background but here is our question, We just purchased a home in North ...
  A: Todd, The Formosan termite is a type of subterranean termite. It is a non-native species that is ...
buuuuuuuuuuugs4/18/2009
  Q: We have a uouse in Belize C,A. we have mahogony ceilings on 2nd floor. Theres always fine like saw ...
  A: Salvatore, I don't know this common name (mahogony bug) but these sound like some type powderpost ...
Bugs in house4/10/2009
  Q: I have found these weird small bugs in my house. They are brown/ black (i cant really tell) and they ...
  A: Abigail, This sounds a lot like dermestid carpet beetles. Take a look at this page ...
Little black bugs4/9/2009
  Q: I live in Arizona. I have been infested with some type of tiny black bug throughout my backyard (in ...
  A: Louise, Yes, post a picture if you can. But from your description I'd guess these are collembola, ...

All Questions in This Category

Pest Control

Jack DeAngelis

Top Expert on this page