Pest Control/Questions Answered by Expert Steve Oswalt

SubjectDate Asked
Drain worms1/19/2017
  Q: I found small black worms in my bathtub.They look identical to the pictures i saw on the internet of ...
  A: No health problems from worms, Life cycle Three weeks. That is all the time the drain fly has to ...
how to avoid rats getting in the hoiuse10/22/2016
  Q: .need to ask something about how to keep rats from getting into the house winter. last year it was ...
  A: Rats only need a hole the size of a quarter, or a gap that is about 5/8 inch to gain access to your ...
QUESTION PEST ISSUE8/23/2016
  Q: Steve Hi, I have very small droppings bellow my wood shingles. Someone told me they are bat ...
  A: Kenny those look to be bat droppings. If you inspect the droppings you will see the ends are not ...
Indian meal moths, can't find source8/17/2016
  Q: . Wondering if you could please help. Back in June 2013, I brought some perfume boxes home from my ...
  A: Cleaning Up an Infestation Most commonly, by the time the insects are noticed, they have already ...
Bed Bugs?6/1/2016
  Q: I recently found out I had carpet beetles and found them in my spring mattress. I was paranoid ...
  A: I would safely say those are not from Bedbugs however I would invest in Bedbug proof mattress covers ...
A few more carpet beetle questions....5/19/2016
  Q: I've been battling what I've recently had confirmed are black carpet beetles for three years now. I ...
  A: Sorry for the delayed response Colleen. Yes dry steamers should be effective,Iron items. As far as ...
Bugs or mites or ticks???11/12/2015
  Q: I am finding these all over my home. They are on my fireplace, my dogs, and me. My husband and son ...
  A: Picture was not good enough for id so lets try and figure this out. Have you looked at carpet ...
cockroaches9/17/2015
  Q: we just had some cockroaches in our house via a package that was shipped to us. It was a box of ...
  A: I would maybe get an over the counter cockroach bait station and place thru out the space were you ...
Pantry Moths8/24/2015
  Q: Right now I'm battling pantry moths in my apartment. Its been about a month and a half. I threw out ...
  A: It is posiable but not likely that they hitched a ride unless food items were brought in that were ...
Wasps, help8/2/2015
  Q: I live in an apartment building. I am on a low floor. Five days ago my mom spotted a wasp on the ...
  A: Debbie, It sounds if you are talking about yellow jackets they build there nest in wall voids and ...
Bedbugs6/30/2015
  Q: Can they hide in your body and come out and bite at night.
  A: Bud bug will hitch a ride on your body but thru bathing will not hide. More than likely your bedbugs ...
Question2/28/2015
  Q: We are in the process of completing an extensive remodel of the basement of our 50 year old home in ...
  A: Doesn't sound like bug activity Ernest being 15" from wall base I would say if anything slab ants if ...
ant colony7/1/2014
  Q: I live in San Diego and am dealing with our annual summer attack of Argentine ants. As usual they ...
  A: Argentine ants form very large colonies of a few hundred to several hundred thousand workers. Each ...
Shrew infestation5/14/2014
  Q: Sir, Shrews got in my apartment under the kitchen sink Pipes I assume. Even large glue boards are ...
  A: Robert sorry for the delay, Ok Shrew infestation good old mice snap traps placed along runs such as ...
Bookloce/psocids1/13/2014
  Q: I have moved into a high rise student apartment where there are 9 floors and many flats. There seems ...
  A: With booklice and psocids, there is no “main” nest. Typically they’ll live close to moisture hiding ...
wasps in my basement.11/21/2013
  Q: For some time now wasps have been flying around in our finished basement. Can't figure out where ...
  A: check all plumbing, HVAC, gas penetrations from outside also make sure windows seal tight to the ...
Termite Barrier10/15/2013
  Q: Oswalt, and thank you for volunteering for this service. My question is about termite control. I ...
  A: There are various termiticides available on the market today. Some have been proven to be much more ...
bed bug infestation8/3/2013
  Q: There is a serious bed bug infestation at our house. The bed bugs have gotten into almost every ...
  A: I can There are several chemicals that are active ingredients in bed bug pesticides. The list ...
moth or insect7/12/2013
  Q: Found these on my husband's socks after he came home from work, they were twirling slowly. Is this ...
  A: Looks like a clothes moth The Webbing Clothes Moth is the most commonly encountered clothes moth in ...
Mini roach?7/1/2013
  Q: Last summer and again this year I started finding this little bugs that look like tiny roaches ...
  A: Pennsylvania Wood Cockroach, also known as wood roaches, are common outdoordwelling insects native ...
Drain Flies in french drain6/11/2013
  Q: We had a french drain installed in our basement two years ago. Since then we have had drain flies in ...
  A: DF 5000 Gel is a highly selective active bacteria complex (not an insecticide) available in a ...
small bugs3/23/2013
  Q: there are small black bugs in my house. I've seen them since 3-4days ago, and I saw about 5 of them ...
  A: Great picture looks like a grainery/rice weevil.They can be found in nearly any prepackaged food you ...
Small brown bugs in bedroom11/27/2012
  Q: Here was my initial question, which was answered, but in attempting to post follow-up pictures, the ...
  A: Both cigarette and drugstore beetles infest a wide variety of foods, especially dried plant and ...
booklice?10/3/2012
  Q: I had a recent infestation of these tiny light brown pests that move like ants (no wings nor do they ...
  A: Pantry Pest will seek grains or spices that are open. I would suggest to clean all cabinets with a ...
unknown bug9/27/2012
  Q: I was cleaning and found these bugs. This is a close picture of a few with the colors. What are ...
  A: Carpet beetles are among the most difficult indoor pests to control because of their ability to find ...
pest noises in walls9/5/2012
  Q: At the beginning of the summer, we noticed a hole right under our porch. Couple days later we saw a ...
  A: Well depending on the size of the hole now if it is around 3" it could be a skunk, opossum or a ...
STRANGE signs of rodent in house, not consistent with what you'd see with mice, frightened to think of what it could be--Please Help!8/11/2012
  Q: we own a house in the suburbs in the mid-west and are hoping you might be able to advise us on this ...
  A: Rats and mice are found around every city, town and farm in the country. As far as the dog not ...
Bugs on my uggs8/4/2012
  Q: Im freaking out!! I was cleaning my closet and When I was done I swept the floor an stuff. I started ...
  A: Carpet beetles feed on animal and plant substances such as wool, fur, feathers, hair, hides, horns, ...
Wall Mites7/24/2012
  Q: I've been finding tiny (ca. 1mm), rather fast moving, reddish-brown to brown bugs crawling on our ...
  A: Does look like book lice. Booklice are very small insects known as psocids. They are usually less ...
Mole tunnels7/23/2012
  Q: We recently purchased an older doublewide trailer. We noticed last fall that there appeared to be a ...
  A: Moles are best trapped in the fall and early spring of the season as they are in the more shallow ...
Beetle swarm7/15/2012
  Q: I live in Maryland and my yard is swarming with beetles flying about a foot off the ground and ...
  A: There are about 15,000 Buprestidae worldwide Eggs are laid in crevices of the bark of living or ...
mouse control7/11/2012
  Q: My family and I camp all summer long and this year we seem to have another tenant. This tenant has ...
  A: I would start with first with a detailed inspection of trailer. You can learn about inspections at ...
What destroyed my chairs and how to prevent this?7/4/2012
  Q: I have two chairs outside on my deck that have been there a very long time. I woke up one morning ...
  A: Since it was at night time I would suspect raccoons. Do You feed birds or squirrels or feed any pets ...
problematic eggs keep appearing6/25/2012
  Q: Iv recently spotted about 50+ eggs being dropped from a crack in my kitchen unit near my sink, i ...
  A: I would think you have either Red Flour Beetles or Confused Flour Beetle eggs.The eggs, larvae, and ...
Squirrels chewing my awnings6/23/2012
  Q: How do I keep squirrels from chewing my awnings? I have tried fox urine, wooden snakes but they ...
  A: Have you inspected your home roof line area for other chewing marks were squirrels may already be ...
Tiny brown larvae, holes in clothes, and parrot!6/22/2012
  Q: I have a problem with something making tiny holes in my clothing, especially cashmere sweaters. ...
  A: Carpet beetle larvae! the stripe gives it away.carpet beetles damage clothing and other products the ...
Bed bugs outside?5/29/2012
  Q: I was at a demolition derby yesterday (outside and it was like 95 degrees) and I was sitting on the ...
  A: Bed Bugs are were there are host and it is possible not likely that it could of hitched a ride from ...
squirrels5/19/2012
  Q: I tried putting squirrel repellent in my backyard to get rid of squirrels and did not work. What are ...
  A: Squirrels I assume we are talking tree squirrels and not ground squirrels. Do you or your close ...
Small Grey Bugs on Concrete Steps4/14/2012
  Q: I live in an apartment in the central south. In front of my apartment are concrete steps where i ...
  A: Your gray bug sounds like a spring tail check out the site ...
tiny black bugs4/12/2012
  Q: last night i found tons of tiny black bugs all over my wall in my bed room then today i found more ...
  A: Your nest outside could they be termite swarm? Soon after they swarm reproductive swarmers loose ...
simple question about bed bugs3/14/2012
  Q: I know bed bugs are on the rise. We want to shop on ebay or kijiji for used furniture but we're ...
  A: All most all of us buy used homes, some used cars and the list goes on. to answer your question ...
postpowder beetles1/19/2012
  Q: I live in Hawaii and have heard about boring beetles that bore little holes in wood. I pulled out a ...
  A: As far as treatment lets first determine that there is not any damage to the furniture that the ...
FL Trees infested with White Flies1/9/2012
  Q: Happy New Year! I live in FL. The White Fly is swarming all over all trees here, all their leaves ...
  A: Happy New Year to you. White fly tap into the flesh of plants, introducing toxic saliva and ...
night flying insects rendering security cameras useless1/4/2012
  Q: I have a customer in a residential home in Leninists CA. They are probably a few miles from the ...
  A: I have been asked several times of what can be done and I am by no means a camera person but the ...
droppings in attic12/2/2011
  Q: I have found flat very shiny plastic like pellets in my attic. At first I found them in a bucket of ...
  A: Well the key word in your question is shiny. Sounds as if you may have a few bats in the attic. ...
Termites?11/23/2011
  Q: I decided to ask a question here because I can't seem to get the attention of the landlord or the ...
  A: In the debris do you see any insect parts and is the debris hard? It looks to be aggregate from the ...
Cigarret Beetle10/3/2011
  Q: I live in apartment and all of the sudden I notice little insects by the window in my daughters' ...
moles9/25/2011
  Q: Moles are everywhere in my yard. I've tried to trap them, poison them, and tried to remove their ...
  A: Moles get there vast majority of their diet from earthworms and are always on the lookout for food. ...
What is in my house?9/22/2011
  Q: We have a terrible, terrible odor in our basement. My husband pulled down the insulation and found ...
  A: Identifying animal scat should be fairly easy at this point as the possible entry points have been ...
roaches8/18/2011
  Q: I live in a 4 family house and the people upstairs from me are giving me roaches. this has been ...
  A: Sorry about your bug problem but lets get started. Roaches are as stealth as bedbugs. Do pack ...
What is this?8/15/2011
  Q: We built a home with ICF styrafoam blocks and concrete. Our home is 7 years old. We decided to ...
  A: Hey Paula, Well I don't have very good news for you it appears to be a subterranean termite mud tube ...
Tapping noise in wall8/3/2011
  Q: I reviewed what the noise might be and do have a hole in the foundation between golf and baseball ...
  A: Sounds like you have found the entry point now the removal process. Many nuisance animal trappers ...
Identify an insect6/20/2011
  Q: Recently we have had tiny black insects around the sink and countertops of the kitchen and bath. I ...
  A: Drain flies sometimes appear suddenly and mysteriously, becoming a nuisance in both homes and sewage ...
Tiny little brown/black bugs6/12/2011
  Q: Okay for awhile now i have been seeing little itty bitty bugs crawling around... usually on my legs ...
  A: from the sounds of it you may be seeing various Ground Beetle species which wander into the home ...
pest/insect droppings5/31/2011
  Q: for the past month or so I have been getting these droppings in my basement. They are always in the ...
  A: It looks brown and not black as with rodents (mice,rats). So if you can slide droppings onto a piece ...
unknown critter5/10/2011
  Q: Live in Florida with screened in lanai. Recently found a plactic bag with yarn inside and the ...
  A: Well gosh this could be alot of unknowns, I belive we are talking rodent mice, rat, squirrel.. The ...
beetles beetles EVERYWHERE4/24/2011
  Q: These beetles showed up at my house in middle tennessee about 4 days ago and have taken over. They ...
  A: well Michelle more than 2,000 species are found in North America. I will take a guess and say you ...
snakes4/16/2011
  Q: I'm from Louisiana and have a snake problem in my yard (and even in my house,once). No matter what ...
  A: Well Kevin lets start with removing some environment conditions close to human dwellings are also ...
moths4/10/2011
  Q: Where do I buy pheromone glue boards?
  A: You must have done some reading on pheromone traps but anyway there are several companies that sell ...
Holes in my front lawn3/30/2011
  Q: I live in the downtown toronto area and I have a front lawn with an ancient evergreen tree smack in ...
  A: Hey Joshua, Well since the holes go no where in a network of under ground tunnels that rules out ...
carpet beetles?3/7/2011
  Q: I hope you can help me with my bug issue. First, you should know I am so squeamish about bugs that ...
  A: Sorry for your bug problem TH, Let's start with Inspection Find sources of carpet beetle ...
roaches3/7/2011
  Q: We just completed a drain cleaning couple days ago and now the customer said she has roaches in the ...
  A: Terry lets think about this for a moment, I think it would be difficult for roach to enter through ...

All Questions in This Category

Pest Control

Steve Oswalt

Top Expert on this page